• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-15, 13:08

View Postbluejak, on 2011-November-15, 12:58, said:

killybean? :) :lol: :( :D

I kinda like it. :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#42 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-15, 15:34

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-November-15, 12:07, said:

I believe it is acceptable literary license to phrase a post in the manner Fluffy did, when it seems as if the OP is in the position being discussed. Whether OP was watching the hand or participating; whether she was North or South; doesn't change the value (if any) of Fluffy's concern.

I agree. You missed the ;) in my reply to Fluffy's post, and omitted it when you quoted me.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#43 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-15, 16:11

View Postjillybean, on 2011-November-15, 11:58, said:

Call me odd but I did not do this to start with as some players seem to be annoyed when their CC is picked up and scrutinized and I felt as if I was being rude doing so.

What do they expect you to do with their convention card? Use it as a coaster for your coffee?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#44 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-15, 16:45

I only ask if I need to know, I now tend to look at their CC rather than ask. Call me odd but I did not do this to start with as some players seem to be annoyed when their CC is picked up and scrutinized and I felt as if I was being rude doing so.

I would never have any qualms about looking (at an appropriate time) at opponent's system card. IMO, anyone who calls himself a bridge player who gets annoyed when someone looks at their card does not deserve the name. "Idiot" would be more appropriate.

Today, (last board of the day, in fact), partner opened a club, RHO passed, and I jumped to 2NT. Partner alerted. LHO asked what it meant. Partner allowed she didn't know, but "it's on the card". LHO picked up the card, looking at the front. Partner said "it's on the back" (where competitive agreements are located). Much confusion and discussion between partner, LHO, and RHO(!) ensued. Finally, having received enough UI to sink the Bismarck, I suggested that LHO call the TD and ask him to have partner leave the table so I could explain it. LHO called the TD. No response (it was noisy, one of the TDs was entering scores, the other was cleaning up the kitchen). We called again. RHO left the table to go get him. Partner left the table on her own. The TD showed up. I explained the bid (balanced, 11-12 HCP). Partner and RHO sat down. LHO passed. Partner bid 3, passed to me. I had 2 LAs, pass and 3NT. I passed. Partner made 4, and would have made 3NT. <shrug>

I kept hoping partner would just shut up once it became clear she was confused, but she wasn't having any of that. :(

After the hand she looked at the system card and said "Oh. That only applies after a double". (We play flip-flop after a TO double, so 2NT would be weak with clubs). :o :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#45 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-November-17, 02:53

This raises another issue where I think it is difficult for newer players to know what to do. My partner here always asks,
I'm sure out of habit rather than trying to create UI problems.

I suspect novices tend to ask about all alerts because they feel uncomfortable not knowing what's going on. Although if the opponents are playing anything complicated, the answers are likely to confuse them even more (the first time a beginner encounters a relay auction, I'm sure they're overwhelmed).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users