Kickback Should I join up?

#21 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-March-21, 08:21

View Postbluecalm, on 2011-March-18, 14:06, said:

In Europe as far as I know nobody plays kickback. Even if (and that's big if) it's better in some situations than cuebids unless you are in 10+years partnership you will give it all up by misunderstandings.

Most people that play Kickback use it only when is trumps (or , but then kickback is the same as regular Blacky) because it's easy, usually not after minors because many play minorwood (which is not that great as an alternative imo). Actually, I haven't seen any people play it after minor fits. If we include Kickback Turbo, then I know at least 1 pair playing Kickback over minors. :D
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#22 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-March-21, 09:17

View Postkenberg, on 2011-March-21, 07:47, said:

About jumps:
1-2-3-4. I would have no trouble recognizing this one if we played Kickback.
1-2-3-4. This has a perfectly good current meaning: I have diamonds and hearts, enough values for game, and only minor values in the black suits. If this is to become Kickback, it has to be on a list.
1-2-3-4. Uh huh. Kickback I suppose. Where is that list again?

1-2-3-4 You are already in a game forcing auction so why would you need to jump to 4. Doesnt 1-2-3-3 convey the same message?

1-2-3-4 Isn't this simply a sequence you need to remember, just like 1-1-1N-2? I think the jump makes it easier to recognise. With game in either minor you have to make an arbitary decision rather than give partner an option. Most conventions aren't perfect and I don't beleive it's a show stopper.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#23 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2011-March-21, 09:42

View Postjillybean, on 2011-March-21, 09:17, said:

1-2-3-4 You are already in a game forcing auction so why would you need to jump to 4. Doesnt 1-2-3-3 convey the same message?

1-2-3-4 Isn't this simply a sequence you need to remember, just like 1-1-1N-2? I think the jump makes it easier to recognise. With game in either minor you have to make an arbitary decision rather than give partner an option. Most conventions aren't perfect and I don't beleive it's a show stopper.

1-2-3-4 announces a lack of early control in either black suit. A partner with Qx in either clubs or spades should not even consider moving over 4, I don't care how strong the rest of his hand is. I would not easily give this up.
Ken

#24 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-21, 09:48

View Postkenberg, on 2011-March-21, 09:42, said:

1-2-3-4 announces a lack of early control in either black suit. A partner with Qx in either clubs or spades should not even consider moving over 4, I don't care how strong the rest of his hand is. I would not easily give this up.

Ya if playing kickback, unless you want even more memory strain I would give this up and rebid 3h.

xx....AKx....AKxxx....xxx
xxx...AKx...AKxx.....xxx

#25 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-21, 11:09

View PostfromageGB, on 2011-March-19, 10:13, said:

Not so sure round here. Many people jump with a 16 count, and reply 1 with 6142 6count, so having that sequence game forcing would need to be by agreement.

I take it the GB in your name doesn't tell us where "round here" is, then? A jump shift as opener's rebid, as in 1 - 1; 3, is regarded as 100% forcing to game in any description of Acol I have ever read.

#26 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-21, 11:43

View PostWellSpyder, on 2011-March-21, 11:09, said:

I take it the GB in your name doesn't tell us where "round here" is, then? A jump shift as opener's rebid, as in 1 - 1; 3, is regarded as 100% forcing to game in any description of Acol I have ever read.

Well, thanks for that. England actually. I've been playing Acol with a variety of partners for maybe 30 years before I changed to 2 over 1, and I had not come across it as being GF. Forcing, certainly, but not GF. Maybe styles have changed over the years, but we always played this as forcing, not promising a rebid if partner made a simple preference or own suit rebid.

But I don't profess to be an acol expert.

#27 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-21, 12:47

Very good topic. Especially for those of us, who don't use "kickback" and planning to gather info about it before we consider. Reading Han's, Ken's and Gnasher's warnings about it and combining it with my own experience when not using it, i think i will skip it unless i am willing to spend long hours to establish firm agreements about it.

And yes in Europe there are pairs who plays kickback, but it is not more popular than American Football in europe imo.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#28 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-21, 12:50

I must say I love kickback. As a nonexpert it took me awhile to understand it and I had plenty of errors/mistakes along the way.

After watching the Vandy, keep in mind that you really should not use kickback when you hve a void, try to get pard to bid kickback and if you show(except whenresponding to a Q ask) or ask for kings, you confirm all key cards. :)

---

I think for most of us a jump shift is 100% gf in 2/1 but perhaps not in europe. I wont be doing this on 16. :)

1d or 1h=1s
3c=gf

#29 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-March-21, 13:03

View Postmike777, on 2011-March-21, 12:50, said:

I must say I love kickback. As a nonexpert it took me awhile to understand it and I had plenty of errors/mistakes along the way.

After watching the Vandy, keep in mind that you really should not use kickback when you hve a void, try to get pard to bid kickback and if you show(except whenresponding to a Q ask) or ask for kings, you confirm all key cards. :)

---

I think for most of us a jump shift is 100% gf in 2/1 but perhaps not in europe. I wont be doing this on 16. :)

1d or 1h=1s
3c=gf

Jump shift by opener is of course gf in europe, unless responder did not have his first bid and thinks he improved the contract already, can pass. But thats the same for American players (at least thats what top players mentioned in a topic i read i don't remember where) Also if playing Gazilli or similar convention, jump shift by opener only shows 5-5 intermediate hands, and nf. (Where all forcing hands start via 2)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#30 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-March-21, 16:28

There are about fifty countries in Europe, about the same number of different languages, and at least ten major bidding systems. Have Bluecalm and MrAce visited all of these countries to study the popularity of different ace-asking conventions?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#31 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-March-21, 16:42

View Postgnasher, on 2011-March-21, 16:28, said:

There are about fifty countries in Europe, about the same number of different languages, and at least ten major bidding systems. Have Bluecalm and MrAce visited all of these countries to study the popularity of different ace-asking conventions.

It's quite difficult to define a 'language' precisely, but a quick bit of googling suggests there are at least 100 languages, probably more. Admittedly there are probably some spoken languages which are not known by any bridge players, which cuts it down a bit.

#32 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-21, 17:03

Off topic, but thanks for the info on opener's jump shift. I checked the EBU guide to acol, and yes, jump shift = 19+, and a reverse is 16+. I always thought them the same ; next time I form a scratch pair I will be a better partner :)

On topic : if anyone is thinking of trying kickback, don't be discouraged. Even though it might not happen often, it is nice being able to stop at the 5 level in any suit.

#33 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-March-21, 18:32

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2011-March-21, 16:42, said:

It's quite difficult to define a 'language' precisely, but a quick bit of googling suggests there are at least 100 languages, probably more. Admittedly there are probably some spoken languages which are not known by any bridge players, which cuts it down a bit.

I should have said that there are about 50 languages that are the official language of at least one European country.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#34 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-21, 20:12

Partner send this on resolving ambiguity, I do not know the original author.

This mostly kept us on the same page.

When two adjacent suits are being bid, and a trump suit has not yet been agreed, ambiguity may exist as to whether four of the higher-ranking suit is kickback.

PARAMOUNT RULE: When trump can be set to remove ambiguity, set it. This will almost always be the case.

You will almost always be able to set one of the two suits as trump below the four level. When you can do that, and don't, then assume that the intent is that the other suit is trump.

1h 2c
2d ?

If you want diamonds to be trump, bid 3d. If you want hearts to be trump, bid 2h or 3h. Don't leap to to show a weak hand wanting to play in hearts. First, it's bad bridge, because opener's hand is unlimited. Second, it's an ambiguous bid (kickback for diamonds?). There is no need for the ambiguity.

1s 2c
2h 4s

Why put pressure on partner? Bid 3h or 3s.

1s 2d
2s 4s <--- no ambiguity, so ok to jump.

Responder can bid kickback for their suit on their next bid:

1s 2h
2s 4s <--- kickback for hearts. Bid 3s to resolve ambiguity.

1d 4h <--- not kickback, because we can set diamonds as trump
with a forcing bid (inverted minor or some other
bid, depending on system), then bid kickback.

1h 4s <--- not kickback. We can make a forcing bid to set hearts
as trump (Jacoby 2nt, splinter bid, 2/1 then support
hearts).

1h 2c
2d 4d <--- kickback for clubs. 3d would set diamonds as trump.

Note this auction:

1h 2d
3d 3h <--- 3h sets hearts as trump. Any other bid, and diamonds
is permanently set as trump.

1h 2d
3d 4h <--- kickback for diamonds. Diamonds is agreed, 3h was
not bid to reset trump to hearts.

1d 1s
2nt 3c <--- New Minor Forcing
3h 4s <--- kickback. No way to set hearts as trump below 4h.
If you want spades to be trump, make life easy by
for partner by bidding 3s. Not doing so makes it
clear that you want 4s to be kickback.

1d 1h
4h <-------- this is a common auction. Use judgment and don't
assume it's kickback for diamonds.

Two Strikes And You're Out Rule:

If a player has had two opportunities to support a suit and has not done so, then their subsequent bid is not kickback.

1h 1s
2h 3d
4d 4h <--- kickback for diamonds. Diamonds is the agreed trump
suit. Plus, responder didn't support hearts earlier,
although responder had two chances to do so.
Resolve it in the favor of kickback.
(actual hand from club play)

1s 2h
3d 3h
4d 4h
4s <-------- Not kickback for hearts. Opener had two chances to
support hearts and didn't, instead choosing to rebid
their minor. Too late now!

When opener rebids two of their suit, and responder wants to force game and show six of their suit, they must bid a new suit and then rebid their first suit. This shows a six-card suit and a game force.

1d 1h
2d 3h <--- invitational. Can be passed.

1d 1h
2d 2s
2nt 3h <--- game force, 6+ hearts

1d 2h
2d 4h <--- kickback for diamonds

When opener jump rebids their suit, any bid other than pass by responder is a game force.

1d 1h
3d 3h <--- game force. Bid 4h next bid if you want to play there.

1d 1h
3d 4h <--- kickback for diamonds

Use the fourth suit forcing convention to make it clear that you want your suit to be trump. Since FSF is forcing to game, opener should not make a jump to show game-going strength. Preserve the bidding space.

1d 1h
2c 2s!
2nt 3d <--- sets diamonds as trump, shows slam interest

1d 1h
2c 4d <--- kickback for clubs

Following is a library of auctions where kickback ambiguities arose. This section will be added to as new auctions are encountered.

1h 2d
2h 3d
4h <-------- kickback for diamonds. No opportunity to set diamonds
as trump below the four level, so the general rule is
that 4h is kickback. Plus, opener could have bid 3h
to remove all ambiguity about what 4h would mean.

#35 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-21, 20:32

Ok, I didn't express myself well.
What I wanted to say about kickback in Europe is this: top European players don't play it.
I have no doubt someone somewhere plays it. Lauria - Versace, Fantoni Nunes, Duboin - Sementa, Helgemo - Helness, Balicki Zmudzinski and I think top Netherland and French pairs (not sure about it) don't play it.
In fact Fantoni Nunes don't even play blackwood and they are outbidding almost everybody in the world. Spending time and memory on pages of notes where something is and isn't kickback which takes away calls which are useful for cuebids and splinters is exercise in futility in my opinion.

1d 1h
3d 3h <--- game force. Bid 4h next bid if you want to play there.

1d 1h
3d 4h <--- kickback for diamonds

Really ?
If partner bids 4 in first sequence and you bid 4 how is he supposed to know if you wanted to play there in the first place or if you just lack cuebid ?

1s 2h
2s 4s <--- kickback for hearts. Bid 3s to resolve ambiguity.

Lol !

1d 1h
2c 4d <--- kickback for clubs

You really think that ace asking bid is more useful here than for example splinter ?

#36 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-March-22, 03:11

Thanks jmcw - that's helped to clarify my views on Kickback.

bluecalm said:

What I wanted to say about kickback in Europe is this: top European players don't play it.

That's certainly true. I just tried to find a top European pair that plays it, and didn't find one.

Spending time and memory on pages of notes where something is and isn't kickback which takes away calls which are useful for cuebids and splinters is exercise in futility in my opinion.

Me too.

#37 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-March-26, 12:10

I this really so complicated? If playing 4NT as RKCB and the bid of the Kickback suit would have been natural, then it is still natural playing Kickback. If it would have been a cue bid but 4NT would not have been RKCB then the meanings are unchanged. If it would have been a cue bid and 4NT would have been RKCB then the meanings are switched playing Kickback. In this particular example it is clear that 4H cannot be natural since hearts could have been supported naturally earlier, so in normal methods 4H would be a cue and 4NT RKCB; hence playing Kickback the meanings are reversed and 4H is RKCB for diamonds.
(-: Zel :-)

#38 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-March-29, 04:40

View Postgnasher, on 2011-March-21, 16:28, said:

There are about fifty countries in Europe, about the same number of different languages, and at least ten major bidding systems. Have Bluecalm and MrAce visited all of these countries to study the popularity of different ace-asking conventions?

Kickback or jump shift usage in europe are related to the number of languages and countries as much as i am related to Angelina Jolie.

Anyway, the conventions cards of all european teams or pairs that has played in EC and BB or Worldchamps can be found on the net i think ;) (Also u can find cc of pairs from their national bridge websites and see for yourself how many pairs play kickback) You don't need to know how many languages they speak, or how many bird kinds live in europe to speak about a jump shift or ace asking in bridge. They all have to fill their cc in English at the end of the day.

#39 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-March-29, 05:24

A large part of the top american pairs play kickback (off the top of my head Meckwell, Levin/Weinstein, Greco/Hampson, Grue/Cheek, Passell/Wold/Jacobus, Wooldridge/Hurd). Surprised no top Europeans play it. I think it is hugely beneficial for slam bidding if you are a serious partnership and worth the large time commitment to get down properly.

#40 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2011-March-29, 07:10

I am starting to sort this through.

Han and Zelandakh, and others, stress that first it has to be decided if 4 could be natural. Han (and Frances) appear to see this as less cut and dried. Justin speaks of "the large time commitment to get it down properly" which I take to be a thought along the same lines.

Here are two auctions:

I (the one I had):
1♦ Pass 1♥ 1♠
2♣ Pass 2♠ Pass
3♦ Pass 4♦ Pass
and
II the uncontested variant
1♦ Pass 1♥ Pass
2♣ Pass 2♠ Pass
3♦ Pass 4♦ Pass

I think there is an important difference.

In I, opener had a clear opportunity to show three card heart support over the 1 intervention. Having not done so, he could bid 3 over the 2 bid to show his doubleton. Whether he would always do this when he holds two hearts and six diamonds is not so clear to me. With, say, Kx I imagine he would. With xx and strong diamonds, maybe he would go with 3.

In II, over 2, it seems less clear to me that opener would be comfortable bidding 3 on a doubleton. It's true that he might feel that if he had 1=3=5=4 shape he would have raised hearts immediately, so with 1=2=6=4 shape he is free to bid 3 now expecting it to be understood. But I don't usually think that deeply during an auction. At any rate, in auction II, it seems to me that at the time of the four diamond bid it is still possible for there to be a playable 5-2 fit in hearts and, in some hands, we might want to play it there. It's not that hard to construct such hands.

Anyway, I have come to agree that the problem is not kickback itself but rather the fact that reasonable minds might disagree on whether a 4 bid could be an offer to play in 4. I now think that thanks to the non-support double and the later 3 rather than 3 bid, 4 is not likely an offer to play. In auction II this is less clear to me.

Watching Vugraph it is not totally rare to see even the top pairs experience confusion over whether trump has been set and if so, what it has been set as. More complex auctions than I am presenting, yes, but then I don't play at their level. As Han rightly notes, I don't have such extensive discussions with partners.

Fwiw, I give you a hand from the other day:

1 2

Uh huh. As it turns out, N has great cards and, further, everything is lying right and you can make 7 (or 7NT for that matter) if you choose the working line (major kings both on the left, spade length on the left). But looking only at the S cards, it is not so clear to me after the diamond raise that the only issue is key cards. So even if 4 were kickback (it would not have been) it is not so clear to me that it is the right call.

All in all, I am thinking more positively of kickback, but Justin's "the large time commitment to get it down properly" still gives me pause.
Ken

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users