• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recent movies reviews/recommendations/warnings

#241 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2010-March-09, 20:26

y66, on Mar 9 2010, 07:04 PM, said:

Will put those last 2 in the queue. Just saw Shaun of the Dead. Don't see it with your mum.

Hot Fuzz is great, too, from the people who brought you Shaun of the Dead.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#242 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-March-14, 10:00

Saw Hurt Locker last night on DVD. Liked it a lot. Definitely a lot of scenes where you feel like you're in the desert with those guys and riding around with them in the Humvee.

Good story here about the director by Manohla Dargis:

KATHRYN BIGELOW’S two-fisted win at the Academy Awards for best director and best film for “The Hurt Locker” didn’t just punch through the American movie industry’s seemingly shatterproof glass ceiling; it has also helped dismantle stereotypes about what types of films women can and should direct. It was historic, exhilarating, especially for women who make movies and women who watch movies, two groups that have been routinely ignored and underserved by an industry in which most films star men and are made for and by men. It’s too early to know if this moment will be transformative — but damn, it feels so good.

It was a long time coming, as Ms. Bigelow suggested when she appeared on “60 Minutes” on Feb. 28. Her appearance, for which she was interviewed by Lesley Stahl (Steve Kroft must have been busy), was a classic of its type. During the interview Ms. Bigelow explained to the apparently baffled Ms. Stahl the meaning of scopophilia, a significant word in feminist film theory, though Ms. Bigelow kept gender out of her definition (“the desire to watch and identify with what you’re watching”). She insisted that there was no difference between what she and a male director might do, even as she also conceded that “the journey for women, no matter what venue it is — politics, business, film — it’s, it’s a long journey.”

It’s instructive that she didn’t say it had also been a hard journey, because that might have pegged Ms. Bigelow as a whiner, as in whiny woman. Unsurprisingly, she again had to share her few minutes with Mr. Cameron, whose name Ms. Stahl invoked within seconds of starting and not only because he had directed two of the largest hits in history, including “Avatar.” He was the ex-husband, a powerful director and a representation of male authority who could vet Ms. Bigelow. “How sweet is this to be head to head with your ex-husband,” Ms. Stahl asked. “You couldn’t have scripted it,” Ms. Bigelow laughed. As she has these last months, she played it carefully. She seemed well-behaved.

Her cool has disturbed some, who have scrutinized Ms. Bigelow up and down, sometimes taking suspicious measure of her height and willowy frame, partly because these are the only personal parts of her that are accessible to nosy interviewers. Women in movies, both in front of and behind the camera, are expected to offer a lot more of themselves, from skin to confessions. All that Ms. Bigelow freely gives of herself for public consumption is intelligent conversation and her work. Her insistence on keeping the focus on her movies is a quiet yet profound form of rebellion. She might be a female director, but by refusing to accept that gendered designation — or even engage with it — she is asserting her right to be simply a director.

Right on man.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#243 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-March-14, 10:09

What did you think of Invictus?

I loved the rugby scenes but other than that it seemed like it could have been much better. Matt Damon had a paper thin character but he was pretty good while Morgan Freeman couldn't make this role memorable enough.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#244 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2010-April-04, 05:47

just saw district 9. awesome in a disturbing way.
      George Carlin

#245 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2010-April-04, 08:14

Invictus and District 9 are now on the list, after Mad Men Season 3, before Zombieland and Slither.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#246 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2010-April-05, 14:10

cold souls was fairly disturbing
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#247 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-April-06, 21:04

First 3 months my fav movie so far in 2010 is Ghost Writer by Polanski.

#248 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2010-April-07, 05:38

gwnn, on Mar 14 2010, 11:09 AM, said:

What did you think of Invictus?

I loved the rugby scenes but other than that it seemed like it could have been much better. Matt Damon had a paper thin character but he was pretty good while Morgan Freeman couldn't make this role memorable enough.

Hi,

I think it was good entertainment, and you learned a lot about the time
the movie showed.

It may not become your all time favourite, but if you are interested in history,
and also how it may be possible to make peace and what the steps are,
(there are lots of similar places, e.g. palestine) you may learn something.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#249 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-April-07, 05:48

Saw Brothers last night. This film had a lot of potential and I'd still like to see the Danish original but it was kinda meh. Natalie Portman is still smoking hot, otherwise the movie is lacking (plot, character development, bad ending, etc.)
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#250 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2010-May-20, 17:41

Prince of Persia was quite entertaining. Mind you: entertaining and nothing more. Lots of cool action scenes and above average CGI.
      George Carlin

#251 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2010-May-20, 20:03

Saw Food Inc (2008) last night. This is 1000000x scarier than those zombie films. Hard to believe we consumers are so indifferent to what we eat that it has come to this. Highly recommend this but not before, during or shortly after dinner.

#252 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2010-May-20, 20:04

If you haven't seen Easy Rider, do it.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#253 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2010-May-20, 20:05

Lobowolf, do you also give lessons on becoming a vegan?

#254 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2010-May-20, 23:31

gwnn, on May 21 2010, 12:41 AM, said:

Prince of Persia was quite entertaining. Mind you: entertaining and nothing more. Lots of cool action scenes and above average CGI.

Was it as good as the computer game?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#255 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2010-May-21, 00:08

1eyedjack, on May 21 2010, 05:31 AM, said:

gwnn, on May 21 2010, 12:41 AM, said:

Was it as good as the computer game?

if you mean as good as sand of time itself I gues yes, but probably not as good as the original. I tried to watch a speeddemo of sands of time and dude, it was so boring, 2 hours of platforming with no shortcuts.

http://speeddemosarc...fPersiaSoT.html

#256 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2010-May-21, 23:30

y66, on May 20 2010, 09:05 PM, said:

Considering a change of pace?! One thing I've learned...it's a lot easier in some places than others.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#257 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2010-May-21, 23:40

recent..movies....hmmmmmmm

i can tell you a few non usa movies....rest suck........
dragon....tatto......

#258 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-22, 00:42

Ghost writer was good here recently.

I also liked The Jonses.

I just saw Please Give tonight which was ok, but more a movie with interesting characters/actors but not much in the way of plot and/or theme.

#259 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2010-May-22, 08:26

Lobowolf, on May 22 2010, 12:30 AM, said:

y66, on May 20 2010, 09:05 PM, said:

Considering a change of pace?! One thing I've learned...it's a lot easier in some places than others.

That remark was intended facetiously in response to seeing Food Inc but perhaps it was not entirely facetious. I don't know what it means to be vegan. But I do understand what it means to respect all life forms, even plants! Not sure where the overlap is, if there is any, but I will do some reading and I will start paying way more attention to what I eat.

By the way, I enjoy the playful, pseudo (?) worship of all things Lobowolf and I admire the character whose traits we can only infer from so many thoughtful, wry posts.

[/End thread hijack. Apologies to burger lovers and the movies as entertainment only crowd for digressing]

#260 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-May-22, 09:58

You are too kind...I appreciate the periodic poetry posts.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

19 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users