• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recent movies reviews/recommendations/warnings

#201 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2010-January-03, 21:46

hrothgar, on Jan 3 2010, 03:13 PM, said:

Watched Sin City on News Years Eve, waiting for the ball to drop...
Kick ass film, especially with the right company

Still convinced that "Better Off Dead" is one of the greatest accomplishments of modern cinema...

Agree on both counts...2 great ones.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#202 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-03, 22:35

I liked 500 days of summer a lot.

Maybe it depends on what you are expecting?

Second hand Lions was Michael Caine and Robert Duval instead of him and Sean Connery in The Man who would be King. Total fluff but well done entertaining fluff.

As opposed to Inglorious Basterds that Ebert said he had to watch a second time to get and wasn't sure on first viewing. It was reasonable but not (to me) worth that second effort.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#203 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-03, 22:42

I also really liked (500) days of summer. But I'm a sucker for both romantic stories like that and the independent style of the movie.

#204 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-04, 15:47

I could RELATE to the main character's predicament just fine, I just didn't like him. I didn't like her. I didn't like them together. Hopeless loser meets autistic chick who's slightly better than average looking.

Like many idealists, I'm a hopeless romantic, but none of their escapades were remotely entertaining, romantic, funny, or clever. I also hated the spoiler that the narrator gives at the very beginning. Apparently the audience has to be warned that these two aren't destined to be together because we just couldn't handle it without a heads-up first.

If you haven't seen the Cove or 500 days, you'd be a fool to see 500 days, rent the Cove.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#205 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-04, 15:52

Just saw Avatar.. a good movie see it.

I did wonder about the story and the science involved.

I did wonder how we humans can fly to the stars, expensive, ..create an Avatar, expensive, but cannot kill off a few natives or tree huggers and get the rocks out of the ground.

How expensive it is to create a poison gas, or a virus or unbreakable glass for our fighting ships, oh well.

Anyway It's Complicated remains my fav. movie of the last month,,,,see it!

#206 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-January-04, 15:56

500 Days of Summer was fine, it was just what you expect from a chick flick. Fun to watch but nothing special at all.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#207 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2010-January-04, 15:58

jdonn, on Jan 4 2010, 04:56 PM, said:

500 Days of Summer was fine, it was just what you expect from a chick flick. Fun to watch but nothing special at all.

I agree.

#208 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-January-04, 16:15

Come on everyone you didnt think that split screen scene was awesome? The music (Regina Spektor Hero? or something like that) and the timing and everything...
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#209 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-04, 16:20

gwnn, on Jan 4 2010, 10:15 PM, said:

Come on everyone you didnt think that split screen scene was awesome? The music (Regina Spektor Hero? or something like that) and the timing and everything...

I almost mentioned that. Yes, that was the one part of the movie that I thought was pretty cool.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#210 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2010-January-07, 21:19

Finally saw Avatar today and want to thank you guys here for the reco as it rocked !!

#211 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2010-January-08, 10:32

Rumor is Sam Mendes will direct the next Bond movie...hmmm I have my doubts about going in that direction.

#212 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2010-January-10, 02:38

has anyone seen the up! series? they picked 14 seven year old children from England and made a movie once every seven years. next will be the one made when they're 56 in 2011 or '12. They wanted to test the Jesuit maxim "give me a child until seven and I will give you a man".

I got a hold of them and started watching. I think it's very well made. They ask intelligent questions. And they try to jump to conclusions a little bit to make a point and I think that's a fair approach as long as they don't overdo it (try to generalize but do it with an open mind).
      George Carlin

#213 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2010-January-10, 08:33

gwnn, on Jan 10 2010, 03:38 AM, said:

has anyone seen the up! series? they picked 14 seven year old children from England and made a movie once every seven years. next will be the one made when they're 56 in 2011 or '12. They wanted to test the Jesuit maxim "give me a child until seven and I will give you a man".

I got a hold of them and started watching. I think it's very well made. They ask intelligent questions. And they try to jump to conclusions a little bit to make a point and I think that's a fair approach as long as they don't overdo it (try to generalize but do it with an open mind).

agree, see the director's non up movies also....enjoy.

#214 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2010-January-10, 12:51

oh and also I loved the way they asked questions like 'what do you think of fighting in schools' from the 7 year olds, being honestly curious about their opinions. and no interviews with their parents or teachers. really cute approach.
      George Carlin

#215 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-10, 22:01

hrothgar, on Jan 3 2010, 08:13 PM, said:

Still convinced that "Better Off Dead" is one of the greatest accomplishments of modern cinema...

Note to self: Never trust hrothgar's movie recommendations again. Just rented this and wow it's awful. I think the title is based on how you'll begin to feel about halfway through it. I can't begin to guess what made you like this.

#216 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2010-January-10, 22:59

I know it's not recent, but I saw for the first time Thirteen Days. I was in the 6th grade when that occurred - and I am grateful JFK was in office at the time.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#217 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2010-January-20, 17:39

seen Memento again last night. now officially my favorite movie ever.
      George Carlin

#218 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2010-January-20, 17:41

Just saw Avatar. Nice story (OK some might find it too politically correct, I am usually semi-allergic to PC but this story was quite good I thought), the pseudoscience was ok, personally I would have preferred a slightly more realistic technology to achieve similar effect as this avatar thing, but that's just me.

As usual with American films there is way too much violence and too little sex (well, I mean, affections between avatars, aliens and earthlings is an interesting theme on which they could have elaborated) for my taste. But overall a great film.

If you like District 10 you will like Avatar too. The themes are very similar. The main difference between the two films is in the scenery (the planet Pandora is full of strange plants and animals and they are beautifully made). And in the way the aliens are displayed. While the District 10 aliens are about as different from earthlings as one might expect, the Avatar aliens are very similar to Earthlings. This makes Avatar less believable (sometimes the Avatar's speak English between themselves) but the way they are made (morphed actors, unlike the District 10 aliens who are animated) is interesting and very well done.

Don't see it for the 3D effects, though. There were three scenes in the beginning where 3D effects were important, and sometimes in the forest there were some mishaps with semi-transparent ferns (I wondered if the same error was visible to someone watching from a different angle but that may be nonsense), otherwise I noticed no difference whether I used the glasses or not.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#219 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2010-January-20, 19:31

Sherlock Holmes was fun to watch, I had heard horrible things about him, but it was entertaining, not very deep though.

#220 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-January-21, 10:53

gwnn, on Jan 20 2010, 06:39 PM, said:

seen Memento again last night. now officially my favorite movie ever.

agreed ...

Christopher Nolan is very good ...
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook