Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO hanging with Linux Mint

#1 User is offline   blindsey 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-October-06, 08:01

I tried BBO on Linux for the first time today.

I got to the main screen and tried clicking on Bridge Master. I got "BBO Loading" for about 20 minutes. Tried reloading. Same thing.

Maybe it was because I hadn't logged in? I tried that and got the same screen. 15 minutes and nothing.

I typed "BBO forums" into google and that worked which I why I'm here.

But I can't get past the main screen in BBO proper.

Something to do with Linux Mint? I'm trying to get away from Windows.

#2 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-October-06, 11:41

What browser are you using? Have you tried clearing the cookies for BBO? I haven't had any issues playing on Ubuntu for several years and the Linux distro really shouldn't matter if you are using a browser based client.

#3 User is offline   blindsey 

• PipPip

Posted 2024-October-06, 20:01

foobar, on 2024-October-06, 11:41, said:

What browser are you using? Have you tried clearing the cookies for BBO? I haven't had any issues playing on Ubuntu for several years and the Linux distro really shouldn't matter if you are using a browser based client.

Using Firefox browser. I tried clearing the cache but it doesn't help. I even rebooted, that doesn't help either.

#4 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-October-07, 09:23

I, too, have been running BBO on linux (firefox, ubuntu) for decades without issue. Unfortunately, not currently, now, it's a summer-only thing (until I can reorganize my life, I guess, or find a laptop that don't need an external drive to do anything, because "all your data should be in the clown our servers, where we can keep it hostage after we've finished mining it for Abominable Intelligence the cloud" these days.
250GB isn't enough for MS, never mind dual-boot, these days).

Clearing cookies (as well as cache) might do it. Or try it in a private window and see. Or if you've downloaded chromium-browser, try it there (I find some things don't work in my version of firefox because of the anti-data-harvesting layered extensions I have installed. They almost always work in a pretty vanilla chromium (which I only use for those things, because, well, see above).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   blindsey 

• PipPip

Posted 2024-October-07, 11:40

OK, it works with Chrome. Thanks.

I didn't have it, so I had to install it.

#6 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-October-07, 12:15

So, that sounds like something strange with your firefox. When you have a minute, try it with either a fresh profile (complicated) or a private window. If it works then, definitely it's something stored in your profile - as others have said, I would guess cookies (not cache). BBO changed their "keep you logged in"/"log you in automagically" logic a while ago, and you might be hitting a "this old info confuses it" issue.

But if you don't care with chromium, you're good.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users