BBO Discussion Forums: Vaguely Bridge Related - Buenos Aires Tourism Guide - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vaguely Bridge Related - Buenos Aires Tourism Guide Surely it's possible to talk about other than politics or bridge?

#1 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-August-23, 11:04

Investigating the draw and participants at the World Bridge Games in Buenos Aires, and I noticed that "Tourism Guide Added".

So I looked at it. I'm wondering if it will cause any brain spikes to Europeans. Even for this Canuck, it's a bit "isn't there anything closer?" I mean, they all look seriously cool, but still...

The nearest one of the 4 that have distances is 1500km from the playing site! That's "Paris to Warsaw", folks.

I mean, I know Argentina's big, and I know that Mercator has a *lot* to repent for, but wow. This is like a tourism guide for the NABC in Toronto that suggested Charlettown PEI ("See the ocean, the lobsters, Anne of Green Gables House"), Thunder Bay ("Majestic Lake Superior, Kakabeka Falls, Terry Fox"), and if you're really adventurous, Iqaluit ("see the most northern capital in North America", the Glaciers, 24-hour sunlight").

Nothing to do actually in Buenos Aires? Or anywhere on the coast?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-August-23, 11:19

mycroft, on 2024-August-23, 11:04, said:

Investigating the draw and participants at the World Bridge Games in Buenos Aires, and I noticed that "Tourism Guide Added".

So I looked at it. I'm wondering if it will cause any brain spikes to Europeans. Even for this Canuck, it's a bit "isn't there anything closer?" I mean, they all look seriously cool, but still...

The nearest one of the 4 that have distances is 1500km from the playing site! That's "Paris to Warsaw", folks.

I mean, I know Argentina's big, and I know that Mercator has a *lot* to repent for, but wow. This is like a tourism guide for the NABC in Toronto that suggested Charlettown PEI ("See the ocean, the lobsters, Anne of Green Gables House"), Thunder Bay ("Majestic Lake Superior, Kakabeka Falls, Terry Fox"), and if you're really adventurous, Iqaluit ("see the most northern capital in North America", the Glaciers, 24-hour sunlight").

Nothing to do actually in Buenos Aires? Or anywhere on the coast?

When do we all go? Those are some truly imprexxive scenes.
Ken

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-August-23, 14:46

I have a brain spike that they didn't need so many scorers this time :( But that is inevitable.
My fault for not being good enough to play or TD.
Never even been to BA, but I wouldn't have the slightest doubt that it would be fascinating, let alone for a lover of bife de chorizo + Malbec like me.

#4 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-August-23, 21:38

Buenos Aires is a very big city.
(note: Born, raised in the Great Buenos Aires (Quilmes, 20 km south), was there last time in 2013)

Whatever do you want to do there, it is probably doable.
What are you interested in?
Downtown has a very active night life, 9pm is early to start usually.

But for closer tourism options besides the city proper:
"La Boca"neighborhood (inside the city), colorful, quaint.
Some Estancias, a tad outside the city, maybe 50-100 km, horseriding aund the coand other related activities for a full day, maybe.
Noth, outside the City, about 30 km, there is Tigre, where the Paraná river ends into the De la Plata river, there are boat excursions around, small islands etc.

On the coast, the biggest city is Mar del Plata, 400 km from BA, some smaller ones starting around 320km. Those are beaches, close than that on the coast line would be still the river (river meets ocrean at about 90km south of BA).

Brian could be interested in Mendoza as destination, 1000km west of BA, wine zone, excellent malbec, wine tours available. Posted Image

On the beef: my wife (canadian) used to say "It's beef. How different can it be?". Then we went to visit, and now she knows.

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-August-23, 22:39

Interesting guide. Iguazu Falls is one of the great natural sights in the world which I've been to several times. There are 2 national parks, one on the Argentina side, and one on the Brazilian side. The Brazilian side has the wide angle panoramic views of the falls, the the Argentina side is the side where most of the falls are physically located.

Never been to Bariloche but it's been the subject of several TV docu programs that claimed that Hitler escaped to that area after WWII.

I've been to Buenos Aires once, about 9 or 10 years ago. Beautiful downtown area with lots of old colonial style buildings. It was during celebrations for a national holiday so there were parades through the street and many street parties. And of course, plenty of restaurants serving Argentina beef, and lots of places with Tango shows.

The big problem is that inflation has been several hundred percent a year (and has been crazy high for a decade. In the US, people were up in arms when inflation was around 9% for a year, even though inflation was a huge problem world wide at that time). At the same time, the currency exchange rates for the Argentina peso has collapsed. I've got a few Argentina peso notes that I got at around 15 pesos per dollar. The current rate is 926 pesos per dollar which is the official rate, but the unofficial blue dollar rate is 1320 pesos per dollar. There were blue dollar exchange places at various market streets in Buenos Aires.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users