• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game Throwing

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-October-04, 13:14

I don't really see any ambiguity in that. "Play each deal to win" means, to me, that when you play a deal, you play to win that deal. And to me, that seems obvious.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-October-07, 09:38

blackshoe, on 2019-October-04, 13:14, said:

I don't really see any ambiguity in that. "Play each deal to win" means, to me, that when you play a deal, you play to win that deal. And to me, that seems obvious.

Me, too. What's the point of mentioning "each deal" if not to emphasize the individual deals, rather than the event as a whole?

But consider this. Suppose you have a 6-person team that includes a pair like Meckwell. If you ever let them sit out a round, could you be accused of not playing to win the deals in that round? I suppose you could argue that even Meckwell can burn out if they have to play every session of a long, grueling event, and exhausted Meckwell is not much better than your other pairs.

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-07, 14:19

I don't think that regulation extends to how a team captain decides who sits out and when they sit out.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-October-07, 14:36

sfi, on 2019-October-02, 09:40, said:

Soccer being the benchmark for upright behaviour... :)

There are counterexamples. Eight badminton players were ejected from the 2012 Olympics for attempting to throw matches to achieve a better draw in the knockout stages. And rightfully so - the spectacle was pathetic for paying customers.

I was very surprised by the badminton players throwing matches. The "honorable" thing to do was to claim an injury or sickness and forfeit the match.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users