BBO Discussion Forums: Contested claim - 6NT contract - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Contested claim - 6NT contract

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2019-September-26, 13:00

Against 6NT, the A is led followed by a spade switch to the 5, Q, and K.

At trick 3, declarer leads the 10 and passes it, followed by the 9, Q, A, 3.

Now declarer claims, saying, "throwing a spade loser on the king of diamonds, heart to my hand, and my clubs are good".

"Director, please!"

This happened in a moderate size club game with slightly below average quality players. The declarer in this case is a reasonable Flight B type player, better than the average player at this club.

What would be your ruling on how many tricks you allow declarer to score? And why?

If it matters, also describe if your ruling would change if the player was an expert or "near expert".

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-September-26, 14:59

I don't think he makes it, and this is where I think the claim law is an ass. According to the claim law and his stated line he cashes 3 diamonds then is assumed to cash all the major suit winners leaving him with KQJ8 and loses the final trick when if he played it out he'd try the clubs first then go back to the diamonds.

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-26, 16:30

I think the ass is the claimant here and I would rule against him whatever his level. We've all been there and done the same thing, but his claim as expressed is temerarious and no way does he deserve a chance to understand why and claim or play differently.

#4 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-26, 17:40

I'm with Tom.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-26, 18:33

Down 2 - simply follow the claim statement. Declarer plays DK throwing a spade, heart to K, then KQJ8. West will beat the C8 with the C10 and cash a long club. Whatever West returns, declarer has the rest.

Notes:
- normally suits are considered to be played top-down, though your RA's view on this may vary
- one could try to argue for more down via e.g. discarding the SA on the clubs but I don't think that is equitable nor "normal". Indeed the "spade loser" part of the claim statement is consistent with declarer knowing he needs the SA to cover a round of spades.
- why on earth did declarer not just run diamonds after successfully finessing? :/
- my ruling is the same regardless of the skill level of the player. The claim statement is simply incorrect.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-26, 23:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-September-26, 14:59, said:

I don't think he makes it, and this is where I think the claim law is an ass. According to the claim law and his stated line he cashes 3 diamonds then is assumed to cash all the major suit winners leaving him with KQJ8 and loses the final trick when if he played it out he'd try the clubs first then go back to the diamonds.

If he would have tested the clubs first, he would have made a different claim statement.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-September-27, 03:31

View Postgordontd, on 2019-September-26, 23:37, said:

If he would have tested the clubs first, he would have made a different claim statement.

Actually he just said "heart to hand" not cashing all of them, in practice I think he wakes up when E discards on the next club, but the claim law doesn't allow that.

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-27, 05:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-September-27, 03:31, said:

Actually he just said "heart to hand" not cashing all of them, in practice I think he wakes up when E discards on the next club, but the claim law doesn't allow that.

I agree that declarer wakes up. But ...

This was probably not played in England, but under EBU guidance (WB: 8.70.9): "--- The interpretation/implementation of Law 70 in the EBU remains that it is careless, and therefore “normal”, for the claimer not to pay attention to cards played by the other side, and that claimer will continue with the original line until presumed winners are not winning."

I would be pretty cheesed-off if my claim were disallowed in these circumstanced, but I think that the EBU guidance is clear.

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-September-27, 05:27

View PostTramticket, on 2019-September-27, 05:03, said:

I agree that declarer wakes up. But ...

This was probably not played in England, but under EBU guidance (WB: 8.70.9): "--- The interpretation/implementation of Law 70 in the EBU remains that it is careless, and therefore “normal”, for the claimer not to pay attention to cards played by the other side, and that claimer will continue with the original line until presumed winners are not winning."

I would be pretty cheesed-off if my claim were disallowed in these circumstanced, but I think that the EBU guidance is clear.

I absolutely agree, the stupid thing is if he claims without a line he probably gets away with it due to the diamonds.

This is a law/guidance I've fundamentally disagreed with for a long time.

#10 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-27, 06:21

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-September-27, 05:27, said:

I absolutely agree, the stupid thing is if he claims without a line he probably gets away with it due to the diamonds.

He shouldn't, of course. if he does, the director has made an error.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-September-27, 06:51

View Postblackshoe, on 2019-September-27, 06:21, said:

He shouldn't, of course. if he does, the director has made an error.

Why not, you have about 14 of the last 12 tricks with no entry issues

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-September-27, 09:13

View Postblackshoe, on 2019-September-26, 17:40, said:

I'm with Tom.

Me, too, but first I had to look up "temerarious".

#13 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2019-September-27, 09:51

I admit after some significant thought that I allowed 12 tricks to be claimed. I thought this was a close decision and the club split plus not seeing the 10 plus the fortunate dummy entry still available were factors in my decision.

Can someone point me to a source for either EBU or especially ACBL guidance about whether declarer is allowed to notice when either defender shows out on the line of play he describes, and using that information.

(I do seem to remember a claimer is allowed to notice an opponent showing out of a suit making a finesse a certainty through the other opponent.)

#14 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-27, 10:18

View PostBudH, on 2019-September-27, 09:51, said:

I admit after some significant thought that I allowed 12 tricks to be claimed. I thought this was a close decision and the club split plus not seeing the 10 plus the fortunate dummy entry still available were factors in my decision.

Can someone point me to a source for either EBU or especially ACBL guidance about whether declarer is allowed to notice when either defender shows out on the line of play he describes, and using that information.

(I do seem to remember a claimer is allowed to notice an opponent showing out of a suit making a finesse a certainty through the other opponent.)

A claimer is allowed to "notice" a show-out if it must appear before the claimer needs this information in order to change his stated line of play (Law 70E1).

It appears to me that taken literally the stated line of play in this case will have cut off the access to the Diamond tricks in dummy at the time the claimer discovers that his Clubs do not break?

#15 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-27, 10:33

View Postpran, on 2019-September-27, 10:18, said:

A claimer is allowed to "notice" a show-out if it must appear before the claimer needs this information in order to change his stated line of play (Law 70E1).

It appears to me that taken literally the stated line of play in this case will have cut off the access to the Diamond tricks in dummy at the time the claimer discovers that his Clubs do not break?

He has both a A and a A entry to dummy after leading low to his K and then starting his club plays from the top.

#16 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-27, 10:43

View PostBudH, on 2019-September-27, 09:51, said:

The EBU White Book gives the following guidance: [Edit: I see that Tramticket has already posted the last paragraph above.]

EBU White Book 2019 said:

8.70.9 Claim can be seen to break down – when can claimer change line?

Suppose it is explicit or implicit in declarer’s claim that a long suit will be good (if played from the top) but in fact the suit is breaking badly and the long cards in the suit are not good. Is it normal for declarer to continue to play the suit, when the bad break has come to light, or in adjudicating the claim, can declarer be assumed to try a different suit for the tricks they need?

The L&EC is aware that different attitudes to this question are sometimes expressed, in both rulings and TD training. Some would allow claimer the benefit of noticing that the suit has broken badly (for instance) and to depart from their original line. This attitude may have been more noticeable since the new laws in 2017, although there was no real change to Law 70.

The interpretation/implementation of Law 70 in the EBU remains that it is careless, and therefore “normal”, for the claimer not to pay attention to cards played by the other side, and that claimer will continue with the original line until presumed winners are not winning.

In this case, declarer finds that the presumed 8 'winner' is not in fact winning when W takes 10 and, presumably, another, so the result on the basis of the last paragraph would be -2.

#17 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2019-September-27, 17:12

View PostPeterAlan, on 2019-September-27, 10:43, said:

The EBU White Book gives the following guidance:

In this case, declarer finds that the presumed 8 'winner' is not in fact winning when W takes 10 and, presumably, another, so the result on the basis of the last paragraph would be -2.

The law says:

"In ruling on a contested claim or concession, the Director adjudicates the result of the board as
equitably as possible to both sides, but any doubtful point as to a claim shall be resolved against
the claimer. The Director proceeds as follows."

It is very hard to have to rule that 6NT is going off when the declarer has 6 diamonds, 3 hearts, 2 spades and 3 clubs to cash. Is that equitable????
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#18 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-September-27, 17:41

View Postweejonnie, on 2019-September-27, 17:12, said:

The law says:

"In ruling on a contested claim or concession, the Director adjudicates the result of the board as
equitably as possible to both sides, but any doubtful point as to a claim shall be resolved against

It is very hard to have to rule that 6NT is going off when the declarer has 6 diamonds, 3 hearts, 2 spades and 3 clubs to cash. Is that equitable????

Well he has specifically stated that he thinks the clubs are all good, so his stated line is to cash them all. This is why I said had he stated no line he gets away with it, but here he doesn't, he possibly misremembered E's club as the 10 which is all that's required for this to be a correct claim.

#19 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-28, 01:14

View Postweejonnie, on 2019-September-27, 17:12, said:

The law says:

Of course it's equitable: we have a declarer who's careless enough not to realise (or at least to mention) that all his s are good, and instead bases a claim on making all 4 further tricks when they don't all cash, presumably because he's also careless enough not to realise that the 10 is still out. It must be a 'doubtful point' that he would wake up to that latter point, and I see no conflict with the law in resolving it against him.

#20 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-28, 02:57

The declarer should have noticed that he had 5 clubs and the dummy just one. That makes it rather likely that the clubs are not “good” already when the dummy is tabled. The declarer obviously didn’t notice that, or thought that both the nine and ten had been played in the first trick. On top of that he didn’t notice that the diamonds were good. At the moment of the claim he had 14 potential tricks, but made a wrong and rather stupid claim. Whether he would notice the bad break of the clubs is irrelevant, but a claim that is faulty, is relevant and therefore you should decide against him.
Joost

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users