BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1080 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#21581 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-July-07, 02:11

View PostCyberyeti, on 2024-July-06, 10:39, said:

Something I don't know the answer to, what happens if Biden keels over just before the election ? does his VP automatically get any votes for him ?

That actually has been accounted for in the 20th Amendment. If the president elect dies before inauguration, their VP is sworn in as president.

Can a dead person win an American election? That's happened a number of times at different levels when there hasn't been time to change the ballot to replace the dead person with somebody else. It can't be good for your political career to lose to a dead person.

#21582 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-07, 03:54

View Postjohnu, on 2024-July-07, 02:11, said:

That actually has been accounted for in the 20th Amendment. If the president elect dies before inauguration, their VP is sworn in as president.

Can a dead person win an American election? That's happened a number of times at different levels when there hasn't been time to change the ballot to replace the dead person with somebody else. It can't be good for your political career to lose to a dead person.

Was wondering if the Democrats would be MORE attractive to some voters with Biden dead rather than alive

#21583 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2024-July-07, 07:04

View PostCyberyeti, on 2024-July-07, 03:54, said:

Was wondering if the Democrats would be MORE attractive to some voters with Biden dead rather than alive

A pretty good summary of our despearate situation..

That said, I and others must tread carefully with such thoughts. There are a lot of nutjobs out there and, incomprehensibly, being a total loony is not seen here as a reason to deny a person full access to weapons of his choice.
Ken

#21584 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-July-07, 12:47

View Postkenberg, on 2024-July-07, 07:04, said:

A pretty good summary of our despearate situation..

That said, I and others must tread carefully with such thoughts. There are a lot of nutjobs out there and, incomprehensibly, being a total loony is not seen here as a reason to deny a person full access to weapons of his choice.

But the nutjobs need him alive

#21585 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-July-10, 10:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2024-July-07, 03:54, said:

Can you tell the difference these days?

#21586 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2024-July-10, 10:31

I'd vote for a dead ham sandwich rather than a live Trump. At least the sandwich won't try to stage a coup.

#21587 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-10, 21:22

"I love Joe Biden. As a senator. As VP, and as President.
I believe in him. Believe in his character. Believe in his morals."
(but the powers that be have decided he must go so I write this as a good, loyal Democrat).

We were absolutely correct to insist (prior to Jun 27th) that all those vile accusations against Biden were disinformation. It is only during the debate that the media, the politicians, the VP, the Cabinet and numerous others realised they had been kept in the dark. I mean, if they weren't hoodwinked, why would they assert that Biden was "sharp as a tack"?

Things changed on the evening of 27th June. While watching the debate, the media & the politicians were able to diagnose the issue. Each one of them had rummaged through their old documents and found that medical degree. So they authoritatively diagnosed, and they all independently reached the same conclusion, and they then imposed shared those conclusions with the voters of this nation.

#21588 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-11, 15:24

View Postshyams, on 2024-July-10, 21:22, said:

Things changed on the evening of 27th June. While watching the debate, the media & the politicians were able to diagnose the issue. Each one of them had rummaged through their old documents and found that medical degree. So they authoritatively diagnosed, and they all independently reached the same conclusion, and they then imposed shared those conclusions with the voters of this nation.

Making an authoritative diagnosis is hard, but:
TBF, if a plumber, a potato farmer and a policy officer come across a politician with a missing leg, they don't need a medical degree to arrest the politician and return the leg to its rightful owner.
Non legit hoc

#21589 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2024-July-11, 15:30

View Postshyams, on 2024-July-10, 21:22, said:

"I love Joe Biden. As a senator. As VP, and as President.
I believe in him. Believe in his character. Believe in his morals."
(but the powers that be have decided he must go so I write this as a good, loyal Democrat).

We were absolutely correct to insist (prior to Jun 27th) that all those vile accusations against Biden were disinformation. It is only during the debate that the media, the politicians, the VP, the Cabinet and numerous others realised they had been kept in the dark. I mean, if they weren't hoodwinked, why would they assert that Biden was "sharp as a tack"?

We don't diagnose, certainly we do not authoritatively diagnose, but we recognize that something is seriously wrong. We all have experience with such things. My first was when I was 13, pheasant hunting with my father. We were separated by some trees when my father's shotgun went off. No bird to be seen."What were you shooting at?" "I don't know". Followed by a couple more questions with weird answers. Diagnose? Of course not. Know something was wrong? Obviously. Luckily he could drive (I knew how in theory but not in practice), we went home, my mother called the doc.

And yes, we all have such experiences.

Oh. I see. JB had gone overseas for D-Day in early June and to a conference in mid-June. That's probably the reason JB had trouble at the debate. That's delusional. Oh, he had a cold. Right.

JB and the Democratic leadership had, my guess, 48 hours after the debate to address the problem seriously and honestly. They failed miserably.
Ken

#21590 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-11, 20:19

View Postkenberg, on 2024-July-11, 15:30, said:

We don't diagnose, certainly we do not authoritatively diagnose, but we recognize that something is seriously wrong. We all have experience with such things.

My entire post, and every mention of "we" within it, referred to the media and/or establishment not the regular citizens. FYI, that first quote was from a NY Times Opinion piece (allegedly authored) by George Clooney.

#21591 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted Yesterday, 07:47

View Postshyams, on 2024-July-11, 20:19, said:

My entire post, and every mention of "we" within it, referred to the media and/or establishment not the regular citizens. FYI, that first quote was from a NY Times Opinion piece (allegedly authored) by George Clooney.

Aha. I was wondering, it appeared to be some sort of constructed post.
Ken

#21592 User is offline   barmar 

Posted Yesterday, 14:59

View Postshyams, on 2024-July-11, 20:19, said:

So why not put it inside a proper quote block, and include the attribution?

#21593 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 21:07

I'm more concerned at the light hearted approach to war. Like it is just a Football match

And I am no historian at all but Empires can become undone

• 1080 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

48 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 47 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. johnu