• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is 3S Sense Check Pls

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-16, 07:10

paulg, on 2015-February-16, 06:52, said:

Four-card stayman with Smolen is part of the standard system for the England Juniors and, soon, for the Scotland Juniors (where there is no standard currently).

3 would be a cue bid agreeing hearts.

OK, this surprises me but clearly I'm wrong, I've never noticed it happen with decent players and even Baron is more common in my experience.

#22 User is offline   PLimprove 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-February-16, 07:50

It's puppet stayman. 3S= 4+S,4-H

#23 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 07:58

Cyberyeti, on 2015-February-16, 07:10, said:

OK, this surprises me but clearly I'm wrong, I've never noticed it happen with decent players and even Baron is more common in my experience.

i've played with 3 players from recent open teams and we've played normal stayman and smolen every time (i don't direct system). personally, i've never played 3c 5 card stayman and consider it to be one of the more useless conventions.

#24 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-16, 08:08

Cyberyeti, on 2015-February-16, 05:24, said:

Actually this is not a problem with one of the common methods here.

2N-3

3M = 5 cards
3 = no 5M, but at least 3 spades or 4 hearts so you know you have a fit with 5/4
3N 2/2-3

Over 3 we don't puppet, but you can if 3 over this denies hearts and is your method to simply bid 3N, opener bids 3 or 3N depending on whether he has spades, 3 shows hearts but not spades and 3N shows 4-4.

That's all fine and well except that you're playing pretty much every 4-4 fit with responder as declarer, which seems pretty horrible. And with the puppet variation of your method you're leaking quite a bit more information than with standard puppet.

Believe me, if this method were straight-up superior to anything else it would be common in more places than just "here".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#25 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-February-16, 08:09

wank, on 2015-February-16, 07:58, said:

i've played with 3 players from recent open teams and we've played normal stayman and smolen every time (i don't direct system). personally, i've never played 3c 5 card stayman and consider it to be one of the more useless conventions.

Always worked well for me, but then I'd never heard of Smolen until I started frequenting websites with Americans so am used to it. 5 card stayman over 2N was popularised I think by Crowhurst's books and was played by many people who read them at the time. It seems to have very little obvious downside, and the obvious upsides that you don't play 3N with 5332 opposite 3442 with matching small doubletons and can investigate a slam when you have a 5-4 fit and combined values short of what you'd need with a 4-4 fit.

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-February-16, 08:25

mgoetze, on 2015-February-16, 08:08, said:

That's all fine and well except that you're playing pretty much every 4-4 fit with responder as declarer, which seems pretty horrible. And with the puppet variation of your method you're leaking quite a bit more information than with standard puppet.

Believe me, if this method were straight-up superior to anything else it would be common in more places than just "here".

I wasn't saying it was straight up superior, I was saying you don't have to take up the 3 bid for 5/4. (The method is not really mine, it comes from Crowhurst's books)

We actually had a hand recently where playing 4M from the wrong hand mattered (in that we didn't get the natural helpful lead rather than getting a devastating one) and we remarked that it was the first time in the 20 years of our partnership that we could remember that this had cost us, so it's overrated. A large majority of our bridge is however teams, so the cases where it costs an overtrick are unlikely to be noticed. Playing it from the bad hand can also sometimes help where the small hand is say 2416 and the defence don't see the danger, which is much more obvious if the club suit is on the deck.

#27 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 09:25

Cyberyeti, on 2015-February-16, 08:09, said:

Always worked well for me.....

I envy you. It seems everything you play always working well for you, If I had only %40 of the things that I play worked always well for me, I'd be a world champ by now. Hell...as a matter of fact, I do not recall 1 single toy or style that always worked well for me. Yet we see such claims on forums everyday.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#28 User is offline   dave_beer 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-16, 10:09

mgoetze, on 2015-February-15, 11:02, said:

For me it's pretty standard that 3 shows a slam try in hearts, and 4 instead would have been natural, implying 4 spades (the strength of this implication depends on how many other ways you have to show minor suit hands).

In an old-fashioned universe:
3 = natural slam try with both majors.
4 = natural with 5+ and unknown 4-card M. If the major is responder is telling about the potential source of tricks for slam purposes and has to make immediate return to to clarify.

Responder can also raise directly with no side suit worth showing and no shortness if you also play some kind of splinters.

#29 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 10:28

eagles123, on 2015-February-15, 10:26, said:

3c is regular stayman (3d/3h trans 3s 5/4 s/h, 3n to play)

what is 3s now?

as an aside, what would 4c have been?

thanks,

Eagles

I would say that it shows 4 hearts and 5 spades, forcing of course For most people 3c should be some form of 5 card Stayman of course.
the other way round, with 4 spades and 5 hearts it is quite common to show that by bidding 3s directly over 3NT - as you would never need 3s naturally.

#30 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 13:38

Cue bid , as is 4c

#31 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-16, 13:39

So this is what happens when a thread is on the BBO News... LOL.

Hi guys, welcome to the forum...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#32 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-February-16, 16:01

mgoetze, on 2015-February-15, 11:02, said:

For me it's pretty standard that 3 shows a slam try in hearts, and 4 instead would have been natural, implying 4 spades (the strength of this implication depends on how many other ways you have to show minor suit hands).

well this is what I thought but the bbo teacher disagreed haha
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#33 User is offline   Roby 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-February-17, 13:08

I consulted Alan Truscott's book <The bidding dictionary>. For development after 2NT opening (or similar 2C-2D-2NT) with conventional meaning (he mentioned just these conventions: Puppet Stayman, Rosenkrantz, Ghose and Smolen, probably the most common at the time he wrote it), at page 130 2NT-3C-3H-3S is labelled "X" - No Standard Meaning, but in some cases, possible meaning are suggested. He suggested at note 654 for 3S in above sequence: "Many use this as a slam try, agreeing hearts".
As for 2NT-3C-3H-4C, at same page the sequence is labelled as "FG" and shows 8+ points, and a hand containing 4(-)S 3(-)H 4(-)D 5(+)C.
I hope it helps just a bit.

#34 User is offline   lexlogan 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-18, 12:04

eagles123, on 2015-February-15, 10:26, said:

3c is regular stayman (3d/3h trans 3s 5/4 s/h, 3n to play)

what is 3s now?

as an aside, what would 4c have been?

thanks,

Eagles

There does not appear to be any hand type that needs to bid a natural 3 here, unlike the sequence 1NT-2; 2-2 where the standard interpretation is a semi-invitational hand with five spades and a five card minor -- about 6-8 hcp opposite 15-17, allowing game interest opposite four card support but not really worth a 2NT rebid.

I play "3 other major slam try" over 1NT and "other major slam try" over 2NT, so the "illogical" 3 bid shows a heart fit and slam interest. 4 or 4 would be natural and forcing with slam interest but no fit for hearts; likewise 4NT would be a quantitative slam try without a heart fit. But I would never bid 3 at the table without discussion.
Paul Hightower

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users