Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Double Dummy

#1 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-04, 10:57

I hope people give this an actual try before using the computer to solve it! Also, what's this sort of thing called?

edit: trump lead obviously, otherwise there's no issue.

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-04, 11:25

took me a while, butI think I got it, have to duck a spade, then criss cross squeeze east on the majors.

Opponents cannot remove the A comunication because they must return a second trump round.

for the ending to work, both players need the same trump lenght, so north needs to be tap 3 times, so start ASAP. A (keep 10 by all means) A, club ruff and at this point a spade can be ducked (or ruff another club, doesn't matter).

win the second trump with 10 to tap yourself once more, and a third time when in with one of the top hearts, on the 4th club round (third ruff) east will be squeezed both players having symentric hand Axx in amajor, singleton in the other and 1 trump.

I call it criss cross because that is what the position suggests to me, it is symetrical and the honnors are 'blocked' because ruffing on a hand is the same as winning a stiff ace, it leaves you in the wrong hand to cash the stablished trick.

#3 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-04, 17:05

You can just not duck a spade also, prettier maybe? (ace of clubs, club ruff, heart to the ace, club ruff, heart to the king, club ruff (obv keep ruffing high so you can get to the DT).

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-04, 17:14

There is almost some entry shifting variation where they "pitch" their trump if they don't continue trumps and we decide not to just ruff 2 spades in dummy.

For example, ace of clubs club ruff, ace of spades spade, club back ruff, cash 2 hearts and ruff the last club. Now east underruffs and we play the 9 of diamonds. If east pitches a spade we win in hand and ruff the spade. If east pitches the heart, overtake and ruff out the heart. lol.

#5 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-04, 18:32

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-March-04, 17:14, said:

There is almost some entry shifting variation where they "pitch" their trump if they don't continue trumps and we decide not to just ruff 2 spades in dummy.

For example, ace of clubs club ruff, ace of spades spade, club back ruff, cash 2 hearts and ruff the last club. Now east underruffs and we play the 9 of diamonds. If east pitches a spade we win in hand and ruff the spade. If east pitches the heart, overtake and ruff out the heart. lol.

Backwash squeeze!
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#6 User is offline   winkle 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-05, 01:13

View Postlmilne, on 2013-March-04, 10:57, said:

Also, what's this sort of thing called?

I used to just call this a trump squeeze. I think this is what Clyde Love called it in the first edition of his book. But that name is admittedly overloaded since it's normally used to describe a completely different position.

The new edition of Clyde Love's book (which he didn't write!) calls it a crossruffing squeeze which seems like a fine name. Strangely, I looked for reference for such a squeeze on-line but I have yet to find one. The wiki references more complicated positions like knockout, backwash, clash, etc, but no crossruffing squeeze which seems like a big oversight. I blame it on the lack of a good name in older squeeze books. :)
My name is Winkle.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-05, 01:32

Justin's second line isn't a backwash squeeze. In a backwash squeeze we squeeze someone out of a useful trump, ie a trump that is preventing our drawing trumps after setting up a side suit. Here, East's second trump is idle, because it does nothing that West's second trump also can't do. What Justin described is just a standard entry-shifting trump squeeze, albeit one that was manufactured.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-05, 02:42

View Postgnasher, on 2013-March-05, 01:32, said:

Justin's second line isn't a backwash squeeze. In a backwash squeeze we squeeze someone out of a useful trump, ie a trump that is preventing our drawing trumps after setting up a side suit. Here, East's second trump is idle, because it does nothing that West's second trump also can't do. What Justin described is just a standard entry-shifting trump squeeze, albeit one that was manufactured.

I see. Thanks.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users