BBO Discussion Forums: Sally Kohn on Paul Ryan - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sally Kohn on Paul Ryan The truth goes viral?

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-31, 06:14

From Sally Kohn on Fox News:

to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to facts, Ryan’s speech was an apparent attempt to set the world record for the greatest number of blatant lies and misrepresentations slipped into a single political speech. On this measure, while it was Romney who ran the Olympics, Ryan earned the gold.

More on this story here.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-August-31, 08:48

View Posty66, on 2012-August-31, 06:14, said:

More on this story here.

I had hoped that Ryan would have the courage of his convictions to speak his mind. That would have brought the campaign back to the real issues at hand. To me, his possible vice-presidency is not worth sacrificing his principles, even if his perceived greater goal is to remove the hated (for whatever reason) Obama from office.

In my opinion, it would have been better for Ryan to get the jump on explaining himself before the democrats forced him into it. To me, his speech was very disappointing. I agree with this:

These aspects of Ryan’s resume and ideology are sticky to say the least. He would have been wise to tackle them head on and try and explain them away in his first real introduction to voters. But instead of Ryan airing his own dirty laundry, Democrats will get the chance.

The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-31, 09:06

View Posty66, on 2012-August-31, 06:14, said:

More on this story here.

Have you succeeded in defining the M.O. of the Republican party

#4 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-31, 09:11

Barack Obama promised low unemployment, and yet the Great Depression followed soon after! He also promised to get us out of Iraq but what about Operation Desert Storm?

Well perhaps my timeline is a little bit off, but it's the broader picture that matters after all right?
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-31, 09:34

Surprised Fox was this anti-Ryan. Also, the CNN piece on Romney growing up seems surprisingly balanced. Maybe there's hope after all.

Can't wait for the debates.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-31, 11:05

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-August-31, 08:48, said:

I had hoped that Ryan would have the courage of his convictions to speak his mind. That would have brought the campaign back to the real issues at hand. To me, his possible vice-presidency is not worth sacrificing his principles, even if his perceived greater goal is to remove the hated (for whatever reason) Obama from office.

In my opinion, it would have been better for Ryan to get the jump on explaining himself before the democrats forced him into it. To me, his speech was very disappointing. I agree with this:

Any debater or lawyer would much rather They bring it up, and We respond. Counterpunching on this type of issue is much more effective b/c They define the problem as They see it and You can then expand your response to place Them on the defensive. As I'm sure will be done with some of the points Ms. Kohn has tried to make....

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-31, 12:08

View PostPhil, on 2012-August-31, 09:34, said:

Surprised Fox was this anti-Ryan. Also, the CNN piece on Romney growing up seems surprisingly balanced. Maybe there's hope after all.

Can't wait for the debates.

She's their token liberal, I'm surprised she wrote it this pointedly though.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#8 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-31, 12:16

View PostPhil, on 2012-August-31, 09:34, said:

Surprised Fox was this anti-Ryan. ...

I started to post about this column, but I wasn't sure where to put it or whether it deserved a thread of its own. (Is the Rick Perry thread going to remain the 'campaign 2012' thread?)

Sally Kohn is an unabashed liberal (as opposed to say Colmes or Beckel or Williams) so I'm not so much surprised that she wrote this column as I am surprised that Fox made her a 'FoxNews contributor' and let her publish it.

I hope this signals the rebirth of responsible, truth-focused, issues-focused, journalism. Not just at FoxNews (though they're the worst offenders) but at all the networks. But I think this was a one-off and the only place (on television) to get informed will remain PBS (and maybe the Daily Show/Colbert.)

I will admit that after watching much of the Republican convention that I am now 100% behind Romney for president ... George Romney, that is.

Here's Colbert's take on Ryan's speech and a fantastic interview with the guy the Repugs should have nominated. Here's an article which asserts that Ryan has admitted to lying about his best marathon time, FWIW. That might be trivial to some, but imo it speaks volumes about the guy.

Posted Image
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users