• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Average" artificial scores

#81 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-03, 07:31

I don't think I've ever seen a separate "movement director" in any club — including the one I played at in England (in Gosport). Not in tournaments in NA, either. When there are several directors (rare in clubs) they all seem to be doing a little bit of everything.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#82 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-03, 11:11

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-May-03, 07:31, said:

I don't think I've ever seen a separate "movement director" in any club — including the one I played at in England (in Gosport). Not in tournaments in NA, either. When there are several directors (rare in clubs) they all seem to be doing a little bit of everything.

Certainly when I'm at the club but not directing I'll chip in for rulings if I'm done / dummy, whereas the 'director' does the movement. The venue reps (ie: people with the keys) also tend to setup the computer et al. So I guess it comes down to the same thing really.

#83 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 11:18

Around here there are plenty of players who would complain, if I tried to "chip in for rulings", that I'm not the director and I should go away. Technically, they're correct, unless the TD asks me to help (Laws 80B2(g) and 81D).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#84 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 14:36

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-May-03, 11:18, said:

Around here there are plenty of players who would complain, if I tried to "chip in for rulings", that I'm not the director and I should go away. Technically, they're correct, unless the TD asks me to help (Laws 80B2(g) and 81D).

Yep. Directors who are not THE director must really excercise their people skills. Help when asked by the Director, not help when not asked, and make it clear to the Director and to the players that the other guy is the boss (and that you know he is the boss).
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#85 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-03, 17:17

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-May-03, 14:36, said:

Yep. Directors who are not THE director must really excercise their people skills. Help when asked by the Director, not help when not asked, and make it clear to the Director and to the players that the other guy is the boss (and that you know he is the boss).

I have upfront approval to do this, don't worry. All the directors are happy for one of the others to help, given there are enough of us.

When giving rulings in the club everyone is just happy to get the right answer. Obviously judgement rulings would be consulted whoever was giving them.

#86 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-03, 17:20

As a player, it's the TD's game, not mine. If the TD asks me a question, I will answer as a TD; if they ask me to take the call, and I can, I will do so. If it's generally realized that "the TD for this game isn't here tonight, we have some people qualified to be TDs here playing, just by luck; [OtherTD] is calling the rounds, but the calls will get done as possible", whether or not anybody actually says anything, I'll do it.

Otherwise, nope. Not getting involved. It's the TD's game, not mine.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users