What do u expect ?

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-07, 15:02

1-(pass)-1-(2)*

* preempt

Teamgame, 2/1 system std 1 opening. All white.

What does opener have ? 12-14 ? More ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-July-07, 15:06

Roughly 12-16 with good support. The better the support, the lower the required HCP.

Partner is in a tough spot. He is going to stretch to show support but he doesn't want to go overboard.

With a good raise to 3 (out of competition) he will probably bid 4.

#3 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-July-07, 15:09

I'd say 12 to a bad 16.

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-07, 15:12

extras.

with less start with good/bad 2nt then 3h over forced 3c.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-July-07, 15:32

View PostArtK78, on 2011-July-07, 15:06, said:

Roughly 12-16 with good support. The better the support, the lower the required HCP.

Partner is in a tough spot. He is going to stretch to show support but he doesn't want to go overboard.

With a good raise to 3 (out of competition) he will probably bid 4.

Since u said 12-16, i think u never have a 4 card support when pass ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-July-07, 15:32

I expect a 2 1/2 heart bid
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-07, 16:42

I'm not sure how standard this is, but as opener I'd bid 3 on almost any minimum that has four hearts. You can't let them play an easy 2 when you might be making 3, or when you might be able to push them to 3-1.

That approach does create a problem when opener has a better hand. There are various artificial solutions - 2NT as a good raise, or transfers, or Good-Bad 2NT (ugh) - but without any of those I think you should just play a wider-range 3, and be aggressive when bidding 4. It doesn't hurt to make them guess whether to save or not.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-July-07, 20:13

View Postgnasher, on 2011-July-07, 16:42, said:

I'm not sure how standard this is, but as opener I'd bid 3 on almost any minimum that has four hearts. You can't let them play an easy 2 when you might be making 3, or when you might be able to push them to 3-1.

That approach does create a problem when opener has a better hand. There are various artificial solutions - 2NT as a good raise, or transfers, or Good-Bad 2NT (ugh) - but without any of those I think you should just play a wider-range 3, and be aggressive when bidding 4. It doesn't hurt to make them guess whether to save or not.

Agree with Andy, though I don't know why he says "Ugh" to good/bad.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-July-07, 21:00

View Postmike777, on 2011-July-07, 15:12, said:

extras.

with less start with good/bad 2nt then 3h over forced 3c.

This is my agreement with my parnter as well, direct 3 shows extras. I have been toying with Marshal Miles' suggestion to reverse good/bad 2NT (direct bid weaker, 2NT first stronger). The concept is to get your bid in before your LHO raises his partner.... imagine if you use the weaker 2NT with the weak hand and your LHO bids 3. Your partner just knows you are weak, but he doesn't know you have heart support. That might make a lot of difference. I am not sure what is the best way (like I said I typically play normal G/B 2NT). What is your thoughts on the possibility of reversing the normal meaning?
--Ben--

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-July-08, 02:05

Around 12-16, but not with every 12-13 hand ofcourse. With minimums you need some extra distribution. I won't bid 3 on any 4432 distribution.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-July-09, 13:59

Here is why i brought this up.

Responder had

KJ
AQxxx
xxx
J9x

Pd opened 1, he responded 1, LHO bid 2, pd bid 3 and he passed. I am assuming due to 2 bid being made from left.

His pd tabled something like

Ax
JTxx
KQJx
Kxx

And the game was cold. But apart from the score, eventhough i have sympathy to pass, i still believe ruling out all the honors u have just because somneone bid it from your left is wrong. This KJ tide is still a value, of course it is far from a KJxx(x) but still a value. Even if not makes a single trick, just forcing opps to lead another suit of your sides is a gain. It should not be treated like "Omg, lefty bid 2, now my hand is 7 hcp only"

As to the original topic, i also think 3 must be 12-16 but i would not bid 3 with balanced 12-14 hcp. As Adam said it is 2,5 for me, not as in bean count but as in pottential of the hand. I wld always support pd with 11 hcp and 5431 or 4441 hand but If my pd can have 12-14 flat hand, i think i would consider pass with this hand too...perhaps...idk, just wanted to know what u guys think it is.

#12 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-July-09, 14:46

View Postinquiry, on 2011-July-07, 21:00, said:

This is my agreement with my parnter as well, direct 3 shows extras. I have been toying with Marshal Miles' suggestion to reverse good/bad 2NT (direct bid weaker, 2NT first stronger). The concept is to get your bid in before your LHO raises his partner.... imagine if you use the weaker 2NT with the weak hand and your LHO bids 3. Your partner just knows you are weak, but he doesn't know you have heart support. That might make a lot of difference. I am not sure what is the best way (like I said I typically play normal G/B 2NT). What is your thoughts on the possibility of reversing the normal meaning?

I play 2NT as either competing in clubs or good in a red suit (it doesn't work if you completely reverse all the meanings - if 2NT is good in any suit, what is partner supposed to bid over 2NT?). So for me I bid 3H on virtually any hand with 4-card heart support; I bid 4H on a distributional hand and I bid 2NT then 3H or 4H on a stronger more balanced hand (as that hand type is less likely to generate spade raises).

If you don't play good/bad here - and even some people who do would not include a heart raise as an option - then 3H just shows most decent opening bids with 4-card support. OK, you would pass with QJx Kxxx Axxx Qx but certainly Kx KQxx Axxx xxx wants to bid 3H.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-July-09, 15:06

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2011-July-09, 14:46, said:

If you don't play good/bad here - and even some people who do would not include a heart raise as an option - then 3H just shows most decent opening bids with 4-card support. OK, you would pass with QJx Kxxx Axxx Qx but certainly Kx KQxx Axxx xxx wants to bid 3H.

Yes, perhaps i asked the question wrong way or was not clear enough (my bad). I was interested in mostly "What would you expect with no agreements, but an expert pd"

Eventhough good-bad is common for quite a lot people, i don't think we would expect an expert pd to assume we play it without agreement.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users