• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recent movies reviews/recommendations/warnings

#341 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-01, 03:51

View Postbarmar, on 2011-January-31, 22:34, said:

It's an Aaron Sorkin screenplay. Did you watch his TV shows "The West Wing" or "Sportsnight"? Nobody in real life talks like his scripts. Can you really imagine a courtroom dialogue like the one between Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men"?

He likes clever dialogue.

I am not talking about the script. It seemed to me that the movie was trying to portray the persona as being smart by always having them reply within 0.1 seconds (never quicker, never slower).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#342 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-February-01, 23:01

View Postcherdano, on 2011-February-01, 03:51, said:

I am not talking about the script. It seemed to me that the movie was trying to portray the persona as being smart by always having them reply within 0.1 seconds (never quicker, never slower).

Characters talking over each other is also a hallmark of Sorkin's style.

I haven't seen the film yet, so I'm just assuming it's similar to his other works that I've seen.

#343 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-02, 11:57

Watched No Country For Old Men again last night. That's such an incredible movie.

Cormac McCarthy. Coen Brothers. Tommy Lee Jones. Kelly MacDonald (remember that scene outside the club in Trainspotting?). Josh Brolin. Javier Bardem. Woody Harrelson.

What more can you ask for?

Favorite lines:

Where'd you get that gun? (Carla Jean)

The gettin' place. (Llewelyn)

I can't plan your day. (Sheriff's wife)

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity. (Sheriff's uncle)

Note: this is a dark, violent movie.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#344 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2011-February-02, 13:45

Watched an old film on some BBOer's recommendation. "The purple rose of cairo". Definitely worth rewatching sometime. Maybe Woody Allen is not overhyped afterall. :D Too bad bullets over broadway can't be "streamed" via netflix...
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#345 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-02, 15:20

View Postbarmar, on 2011-February-01, 23:01, said:

Characters talking over each other is also a hallmark of Sorkin's style.

I haven't seen the film yet, so I'm just assuming it's similar to his other works that I've seen.

They are not talking over each other. When I said they always start their replay exactly 0.1 seconds after the other person finished their sentence, I meant it.
Anyway, if that's Sorkin's style (and obviously it was for TSN), then he cares more about creating his styles than about letting the actors make a credible impersonation of their characters.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#346 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-February-06, 10:36

My wife and I watched You Don't Know Jack. Both liked it a lot.

Excerpt from Alessandra Stanley's review:

... it is a credit to the filmmakers that a movie dedicated to a fearless, stubborn man’s campaign against the medical establishment and the criminal justice system doesn’t overly romanticize his struggle or exonerate him from blame.

No film about euthanasia, no matter how sensitively written, can avoid offending one side or the other; at best, both sides will find reason to complain. More important, “You Don’t Know Jack” is a compelling, at times thrilling, tale that can absorb even those with little interest or feeling for the subject. This is one of the saddest, dreariest subjects imaginable, but “You Don’t Know Jack” is anything but.

I haven't seen Biutiful, True Grit or The King's Speech yet. The leading actors in those films are definitely at the top of their game. But I don't see how anyone can top Pacino's performance in this HBO TV movie.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#347 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-12, 00:05

The heck with "recent". I just watched "Second-hand Lions" for about the sixth time, and still enjoyed.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#348 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-February-18, 07:30

Unmade Beds. I liked this movie. Maybe because the characters remind me of people I knew when I was Axl's age.

Check out the soundtracks before you watch this movie. If you don't like them, you won't like the movie either.

Posted Image

#349 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2011-February-26, 02:53

View Posty66, on 2011-February-02, 11:57, said:

Watched No Country For Old Men again last night. That's such an incredible movie.

Cormac McCarthy. Coen Brothers. Tommy Lee Jones. Kelly MacDonald (remember that scene outside the club in Trainspotting?). Josh Brolin. Javier Bardem. Woody Harrelson.

What more can you ask for?

Favorite lines:

Where'd you get that gun? (Carla Jean)

The gettin' place. (Llewelyn)

I can't plan your day. (Sheriff's wife)

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity. (Sheriff's uncle)

Note: this is a dark, violent movie.

"It's a mess, ain't it, Sheriff?"
"If it ain't, it'll do 'til the mess gets here."

"You think this boy Moss has got any notion of the sorts of sons of bitches that are huntin' him?"
"I don't know. He ought to; he's seen the same things I've seen, and it's certainly made an impression on me."

"Well, all the time you spend trying to get back what's been took from ya, more is going out the door. After a while, you just have to try to get a tourniquet on it."

And my personal favorite, with set-up...our hero has found (and taken) a whole lot of money that belongs to some bad dudes, and he knows that in the morning, they're going to come looking. He's trying to get his wife to rush and pack so they can get the hell out of dodge, and she keeps interrupting him with questions. Exasperated, he stops packing, and the questioning culminates in:

"So, for how long do we have to -"
"Baby, at what point would you quit bothering to look for *your* two million dollars?"

Great freakin' movie.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#350 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-February-26, 09:32

I got a bad feeling, Llewelyn.

I got a good one. Oughta even out.

#351 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-July-12, 06:56

I thought this line from Michiko Kakutani's book review of Stone Arabia was interesting:

Identity — and the very American belief that individuals can invent or reinvent themselves anew here — is the bright thread that runs through the work of the immensely talented novelist Dana Spiotta.

Mina, the heroine of her first novel, “Lightning Field,” thinks of her identity as “a collection of references” to films she loves; she thinks “if someone saw all the movies she had seen, the number of times she had seen them and in the order she had seen them, that person might know exactly who she was.”

#352 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-12, 08:48

Kimi gets $6.50 movie passes from work - woo-hoo.

Saw Horrible Bosses Friday. Chemistry is bad between the three lead employees, but Spacey and Foxx are great and worth the price of admission.

Saw Super 8 a few weeks ago. Mostly hated it, although the film does an incredible job of transporting you back to a small town in 1979.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#353 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-August-05, 19:10

Captain America has some great special effects (crisp 3D) and glimpses of humour. I gave up looking for any logic or coherence in the plot about 30 minutes into the film.

Horrible Bosses was a lot of fun, though.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#354 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-05, 19:11

"Captain America" has a plot?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#355 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-06, 02:09

Harry Potter 7, Part II - I saw a 3 am IMAX showing opening night and the theater was still 80+% full. I thought it was quite good, although not the best of the series as some were saying (IMHO HP3 was the best movie, HP4 was the best book).

Tree of Life - Pretty good, but neither as great as some people claimed ("best movie in years") nor as bad as others claimed (record numbers of people walking out of the theater). My mom thought it was fantastic though.

Friends With Benefits - Pretty good if very predictable. I've liked Mila Kunis in a bunch of things, but I think this is her best performance yet. This is a much better role for JT than Bad Teacher.

Rise of Planet of the Apes - Andy Serkis is pretty amazing in his acting as Ceasar. There were parts of the film that didn't really work for me (like how cruel the people in the ape sanctuary were), but other parts were pretty fantastic. The homelife of Ceasar was fun, and the few lines that Ceasar has really worked on me and others in my showing.

The Trip - A really fun and funny movie, especially if you appreciate British humor.

Horrible Bosses - Mediocre. The bad bosses were sort of fun (especially Spacey), and Jamie Foxx as the murder consultant was great for his few small scenes, but overall pretty mediocre.

I think my favorite movie of the past couple of months though is still Super8, which while not perfect (the final act is a let down), is just a fun throwback movie (like early Spielberg).

#356 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-August-19, 14:08

Yes, 100 chimps can totally destroy the US armed forces. Very believable.
      George Carlin

#357 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-August-19, 14:12

View Postgwnn, on 2011-August-19, 14:08, said:

Yes, 100 chimps can totally destroy the US armed forces. Very believable.

My guess is this is the sequel where gas#113 will kill most of the humans and make apes around the world smart.

I enjoyed the movie but there sure were alot of dumb parts including the science lab that kept letting apes escape or gas #113 kill people with no medical follow up. :)

#358 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-September-25, 21:26

Vengeance. Liked it. Lots of shooting.

Posted Image

#359 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2011-September-26, 05:51

Contagion: very well-timed and mostly realistic thriller about a one-touch infection virus. Some of the subplots are underdeveloped, but it's quite effective overall. But don't watch it with a cold :unsure: :ph34r: :wacko:
      George Carlin

#360 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-September-26, 09:09

I've been wondering about "Contagion", since an Avian Flu epidemic that wipes out about 60% of the world's population is a major element of John Ringo's 2008 novel The Last Centurion. Probably there's no connection, though.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users