• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recent movies reviews/recommendations/warnings

#321 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-04, 01:32

You Don't Know Jack is amazing (movie about Jack Kevorkian).

#322 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-January-04, 19:51

Saw Fatih Akin's Soul Kitchen. Akin is hands-down the best 30-something director out there imo. This movie was decent+, esp. for foodies, immigrants and Seinfeld fans. In German.

Saw Vicky Christina Barcelona by Woody Allen. I enjoyed Javier Bardem's character for the first half of the movie. Penelope Cruz was awesome. The movie was ok but not one I'd recommend to others.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#323 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-January-06, 07:40

Saw The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle last night. It's imaginative in parts and fun to watch for the first 30 minutes or so.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#324 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-January-07, 06:28

My wife caught "4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days" on TV last night. She doesn't rave about a lot of movies. But said this one is worth watching.

Capsule review:

In “4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days,” a ferocious, unsentimental, often brilliantly directed film about a young woman who helps a friend secure an abortion, the camera doesn’t follow the action, it expresses consciousness itself. This consciousness — alert to the world and insistently alive — is embodied by a young university student who, one wintry day in the late 1980s, helps her roommate with an abortion in Ceausescu’s Romania when such procedures were illegal, not uncommon and too often fatal. It’s a pitiless, violent story that in its telling becomes a haunting and haunted intellectual and aesthetic achievement. “4 Months” deserves to be seen by the largest audience possible, partly because it offers a welcome alternative to the coy, trivializing attitude toward abortion now in vogue in American fiction films, but largely because it marks the emergence of an important new talent in the Romanian writer and director Cristian Mungiu. — Manohla Dargis

#325 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-January-07, 07:34

Best Romanian film of all time, and you should definitely see it.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#326 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-January-07, 22:03

Just saw it. That's the best movie I've seen in a long time. Can you imagine having a friend like Otilia? That would be something.

#327 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2011-January-08, 07:47

Ok, I will take your advice. Where on tv? I see it is available on netflix and on amazon demand, neither of which we are plugged into. Was it on a regular (whatever that means these days) cable channel?
Ken

#328 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-January-08, 11:12

Sorry, I was mistaken about its being on TV. Leanna got it on DVD from the library.

#329 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2011-January-08, 16:18

I'll watch for it.
Ken

#330 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-25, 10:48

Why did "The Social Network" get good reviews? I found it one of the most boring and annoying movies I have seen in a while.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#331 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2011-January-25, 13:18

View Postcherdano, on 2011-January-25, 10:48, said:

Why did "The Social Network" get good reviews? I found it one of the most boring and annoying movies I have seen in a while.

I am glad to hear it! I have come to see Facebook as annoying and the thought of seeing a movie about what a great idea it is seemed unbearable.
Ken

#332 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-27, 00:57

I use facebook regularilly but the idea to watch a film about how rich someone got making it seemed like a very bad idea. Why it gets good critics its because they pay a lot of money to people who wite/publish them

#333 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-January-29, 23:55

View Postcherdano, on 2011-January-25, 10:48, said:

Can you be more specific?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#334 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-31, 15:23

View PostPhil, on 2011-January-29, 23:55, said:

Can you be more specific?

When I read about the beginning of facebook, I found the story actually interesting. (It must have been an Atlantic or New Yorker article, I don't remember.) The movie added this whole standard-movie-story non-sense that he is this anti-social character who gets dumped by girls and doesn't get into the clubs (that were important in Harvard 50 years ago) and is generally unpopular, and has to get even for all that by creating facebook. I.e. the typial movie-genius cliche. That seems a much more boring story than the real Mark Zuckerberg.
(Btw, I don't even claim that it paints Zuckerberg in an unfair light, the real Zuckerberg is probably a much more social and likeable person, but also did more ethically questionable things in the wild first months/years of facebook. I.e. he is bad in a more interesting way than the movie persona.)

That overs why it was boring and partly why it was annoying. What got me besides the flat story was the constant and completely artificial rhythm of the dialogues. Nobody talks the way the figures in the movies were talking with each other.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#335 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2011-January-31, 16:21

I am thinking that they could make a movie about Brin and Paige. Maybe call it The Searchers. Sergei was in my advanced differential equations class while he was in high school. I see Brad Pitt as playing my part.
Ken

#336 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-January-31, 16:36

I'd like to read the article you reference Cherdano.

I saw it Saturday night. Its not in my top 10 much less 100, and I'm puzzled why its even being nominated for an Oscar. However, to call it (very) boring and annoying is a serious overbid to me. I thought it did a reasonable job capturing the little turf wars, and the issues involved with a start-up, although I would be interested to know where the documentary stops and fiction starts in the storyline.

I found it reasonably entertaining - maybe a 5 out of 10. However it sounds like the producers and writers didn't think Zuckerberg's story was interesting enough and had to bring in a simplistic "nerd vs the establishment" element and that's a shame. I also think what they did to Saverin was totally reprehensible. - edit - just read the facts - he got diluted from 35% to 5%, not the .07% referenced in the film lol
Hi y'all!

#337 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-January-31, 16:53

Also saw "The Mechanic" on Saturday. I love Statham, but it isn't worth the $8 nor the 2 hours of your life.
Hi y'all!

#338 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-January-31, 18:16

View Postcherdano, on 2011-January-31, 15:23, said:

When I read about the beginning of facebook, I found the story actually interesting. (It must have been an Atlantic or New Yorker article, I don't remember.) The movie added this whole standard-movie-story non-sense that he is this anti-social character who gets dumped by girls and doesn't get into the clubs (that were important in Harvard 50 years ago) and is generally unpopular, and has to get even for all that by creating facebook. I.e. the typial movie-genius cliche. That seems a much more boring story than the real Mark Zuckerberg.
(Btw, I don't even claim that it paints Zuckerberg in an unfair light, the real Zuckerberg is probably a much more social and likeable person, but also did more ethically questionable things in the wild first months/years of facebook. I.e. he is bad in a more interesting way than the movie persona.)

That overs why it was boring and partly why it was annoying. What got me besides the flat story was the constant and completely artificial rhythm of the dialogues. Nobody talks the way the figures in the movies were talking with each other.

I thought that standard movie story nonsense about him not being popular was a rather short part of the story, in the film he grew notorious/popular after his 'facemash' experiment. I think almost all films have artificial rhythm in dialogues and it doesn't bother me much, but it's been a few months since I've seen the film, so I couldn't comment. What I particularly liked about the film was the way Jesse Eisenberg played a low-key, but also impatient and arrogant genius, I thought it was a complex character, and with an average performance the film would be next to worthless.

Obviously what I'm trying to do here is not to disprove your opinion, just to let others know that the whole forums community is not against the Facebook film :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#339 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-January-31, 18:41

Question: Why did Martin Strel swim the Amazon River (5,268 kilometers or 3,273 miles)?

Answer: See Big River Man. The movie doesn't really answer the question. But it is an amazing documentary.

#340 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-January-31, 22:34

View Postcherdano, on 2011-January-31, 15:23, said:

Nobody talks the way the figures in the movies were talking with each other.

It's an Aaron Sorkin screenplay. Did you watch his TV shows "The West Wing" or "Sportsnight"? Nobody in real life talks like his scripts. Can you really imagine a courtroom dialogue like the one between Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson in "A Few Good Men"?

He likes clever dialogue.

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook