Love it

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-October-13, 12:05

MP
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#2 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-13, 12:10

1. Automatic.

My partnership never violates our "no singleton / void in 1NT opening hand" rule.

#3 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-13, 12:22

I would open 1, but I understand that people might wish to open 1NT, especially if their agreements over the 1m-openings aren't as well practiced. I would not open 1 and prefer not to play a style where that is the recommended opening.

#4 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2024-October-13, 12:31

1 whatever system I play

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-October-13, 13:40

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-October-13, 12:22, said:

I would open 1, but I understand that people might wish to open 1NT, especially if their agreements over the 1m-openings aren't as well practiced. I would not open 1 and prefer not to play a style where that is the recommended opening.

What do you bid over 1-1-1-1N ? and if you feel you can pass, what do you do if it's a touch better ?

We would always open 1.

#6 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-13, 13:58

I play(ed) Dutch Doubleton, which resolves this nicely. In standard I think it is percentage to pass 1NT on that auction, partner is showing 6-9 with hearts and our hand is an OK 16 but worth a downgrade because of the 4441 shape and the shortage opposite partner's length and misfit in both black suits.
On this example hand I am not too worried about that auction. 1-1; 1 shows an unbalanced hand, either 4=1=4=4 or 4(+)5(+). Partner bidding 1NT rather than 2 means partner is not worried about diamonds, which is not that likely given our holding.

If the hand is stronger I will raise 1NT to 2NT, and if it is even stronger I can bid 2 4SGF. This last option caters to finding a diamond fit, though I rarely expect this to be relevant.

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-13, 14:13

Cyberyeti, on 2024-October-13, 13:40, said:

What do you bid over 1-1-1-1N ? and if you feel you can pass, what do you do if it's a touch better ?

We would always open 1.

The problem auction is: 1C-(1S)-Dbl-(Pass)

But I will also tend to prefer a 1C opening rather than 1D.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2024-October-13, 14:25

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-October-13, 13:58, said:

I play(ed) Dutch Doubleton, which resolves this nicely. In standard I think it is percentage to pass 1NT on that auction, partner is showing 6-9 with hearts and our hand is an OK 16 but worth a downgrade because of the 4441 shape and the shortage opposite partner's length and misfit in both black suits.
On this example hand I am not too worried about that auction. 1-1; 1 shows an unbalanced hand, either 4=1=4=4 or 4(+)5(+). Partner bidding 1NT rather than 2 means partner is not worried about diamonds, which is not that likely given our holding.

If the hand is stronger I will raise 1NT to 2NT, and if it is even stronger I can bid 2 4SGF. This last option caters to finding a diamond fit, though I rarely expect this to be relevant.

does dutch doubleton skip longer diamonds to bid a major like many of the americans do ?

What does partner do with x, Axxxx, Jxxxx, Kx ?

#9 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-13, 14:47

It does, though it also requires 8+ HCP for the 1M responses to 1. The auction would be 1-1; 1-1NT(!) showing 8-10 and now opener will take another bid with 16.
Dutch Doubleton uses the 1 response to 1 as a multi-meaning bid. The way I played it the bid was 4-way, but the 2 most important meanings are 'natural diamonds' and '0-7 most hand types, with some specific exceptions that have better alternatives'.

#10 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-13, 15:33

I'm happy to open this 1NT with a partner who is on the same wavelength, and not because we lack experience or agreements over the 1 opening.
Otherwise it is 1 (which does not deny those clubs) and now I'm not so happy: we have robust agreements if partner gets to bid 1 or whatever, but any major-oriented bidding on the left could be awkward.

#11 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-13, 15:52

If I open this 1NT I always seem to end up playing in a 5-1 fit. Just 1 for me.

#12 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2024-October-13, 18:36

Having some fun , online , with a good p. It’s a good time to test the 1nt waters.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#13 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2024-October-13, 23:37

4S
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#14 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-14, 08:40

If 2 is purely natural then 4 seems automatic. But if it's the weak option of Rubensohl or whatever then I'm not very optimistic about making ten tricks: not going to get very rich by doubling either, but at MP I feel obliged.

#15 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2024-October-14, 17:15

Possibly not the best board to start my adventures with offshape 1nt openings with, but it was fun.
(still learning)

#16 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2024-October-15, 01:50

After 1D you reach 4S via the seq.

1D - (1H) - 1S (1) - ...
4S (2)

(1) The 6th spade is more than enough to compensate for the missing 6th HCP
(2) assuming 1S showed 5+
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#17 User is offline   jdiana 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-October-15, 06:04

1NT is not a legal bid under ACBL rules. I guess you can do it if you're just playing for fun, but I would only do it to solve a real rebid problem, which I don't think you have here. Just a simple 1 for me.

#18 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-15, 06:44

I don't 'love it' - you can play 1N with a stiff honour which gives a touch of protection after a transfer followed by Pass.
Also, this hand plays as a 18+ so 1N is an underbid; this is why 5 makes on a hand that is barely worth an invitation.

#19 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2024-October-15, 07:14

Did you miss my comment up thread "Having some fun , online , with a good p. It’s a good time to test the 1nt waters." ?
I'm experimenting with 1nt openings, txfer walsh and other things, having some fun while learning.

It's not legal in ACBL, you can open 1N with a stiff A,K or Q, not a J . This was not an ACBL game. At the club, I doubt anyone would care.
(still learning)

#20 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-15, 07:33

Fun when it worksPosted Image, perhaps not so much when it doesn'tPosted Image

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users