BBO Discussion Forums: Responder Strategy in 2-level competition - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responder Strategy in 2-level competition Competitive bidding

#1 User is offline   paulsim 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-July-17, 02:51

Hi all,

Can you tell a general strategy for a maximun responder but only 3 trumps?

Should double be penalty or optional and let opener choose?

pass, 3h or double?

How your decission would be afected if?
.- Vulnerability factor
.- MP vs IMP

Thank all,
Kind Regards,
Paul_S

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-July-17, 04:15

The Law of Total Tricks answer is, that it is ok to bid 3H with only 8 trumps, but not ok
to bid 3S with 8 trumps.

If you go to 3H with only 8, you have 16 total trumps in play, if they make 2S, you are -1
in 3H, if you make 3H, they are -1 in 2S.

If you push to 3S with only 8, you have 18 total trumps in play, you will be ok,
if they have a 9 card fit, but if they pressed on with 8 trumps, you have a violation
of -2, which is no longer ok.

For your specific hand:
You have 4333 distribution, a minus indicator with regards to Total Trumps, but max values,
and no wastage in their suit, which is a plus indicator with regards to Total Trumps.
I would not give up, ..., so it is either X or 3H, since you are on lead against a spade
contract (otherwise 3D as a lead director could be worth a second of consideration).
I would go with X, pretty risky (live by the sword / die by the sword ... and partner can
still remove it),but maybe 3D is better anyway, sometimes you catch partner with a max.,
and he was going low.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-17, 07:41

For me a double here would not be penalty, but rather "I had a max, and am now stuck deciding between 2X and 3. What do you think, partner?". It denies a fourth heart on LoTT grounds, but does not promise or deny anything in particular in spades.

Without this agreement I would probably bid 3. The lack of spade wastage is enough to convince me to bid.

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-17, 10:17

View PostDavidKok, on 2024-July-17, 07:41, said:

For me a double here would not be penalty, but rather "I had a max, and am now stuck deciding between 2X and 3. What do you think, partner?". It denies a fourth heart on LoTT grounds, but does not promise or deny anything in particular in spades.

Without this agreement I would probably bid 3. The lack of spade wastage is enough to convince me to bid.

I dont know the Cohen books, I have only read a small excerpt, at most 10-15 pages a long time ago,
but maybe you do: is an empty holding in our suit, listed as negative?
I would also say, that the X should show outside defence.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-July-17, 10:49

I'm sorry, I don't remember most of the adjustments, negative or positive. But I've looked it up, page 216 of "To Bid or Not to Bid" lists honours in their suit(s), lack of a side suit fit/shortage in partner's second suit, and flat hands as negative factors. By contrast, values in our own suits, a double fit, and undisclosed length or shortage is a positive adjustment. Seems sensible to me, and I would classify this as 'offence-to-defence ratio' considerations.

To me the X shows some defensive values - without it we can bid 3. This does not necessarily have to be in outside suits, but it usually will be. With a bunch of values in spades we'd just pass - we do not have a pure penalty double available.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users