BBO Discussion Forums: Looking for a very good player - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for a very good player prefer weak NT with lots of gadgets. Willing to try precision

#1 User is offline   mobayman 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-May-20, 12:33

Looking for an English speaking person to play tournaments circa 12-6 PM PST.

Mobayman

#2 User is offline   rshastry2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-May-21, 01:32

View Postmobayman, on 2024-May-20, 12:33, said:

Mobayman

My BBO login ID is rshastry2. I am looking for someone to play Precision. Guess I am an intermediate player. My email address is ravi.shastry59@gmail.com

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-May-21, 10:37

As a suggestion, if you are a "really good player", give some examples of results.

For instance, I am a "really good player", if you compare me to all bridge players. Even, perhaps, all duplicate bridge players.

However, I am at least one level of "he can't play" below Canadian National Champion level; and they are about one level of "can't play" below USA National Champion level. And as (I think) Bob Hamman said 50 years ago, "I am not a good bridge player. I am a bad bridge player. It's just that everyone else is worse."

I'm not saying this applies to you, but frequently players who are "really good" in these forums are really good in their local areas, and have no idea how bad their local areas are. Hence, "show me your results, I don't trust self-judgement" is a common attitude here.

As an example, I've won the odd Open Regional event, and come close on several occasions. I am not yet at the level where I am disappointed to not make day 2 of a NABC+ event, but I am not shocked when I do.

That information (plus the fact that I try to be an ethical partner and a better partner than a player) I feel would get me the appropriate level of partners at this partnership desk. Unfortunately (but luckily for me, well, sort of), I am not looking for partners at the moment; in fact I am disappointing at least two I should play more with.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-May-21, 14:24

(stolen from a quote referenced by pillowsky)

Sad to say, the length of time you’ve been playing bridge is no indication of how good you are. Indeed, you can play with gusto every day of your life, but if you never venture outside your same circle, or take lessons or read books, then — to put it bluntly — you probably have no idea how bad you are.

I recently read an amusing article about this by the Scottish novelist Alexander McCall Smith, author of the hugely popular No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. He and his wife love bridge, and some years ago took a cruise which offered classes. His wife, a ‘much stronger player’, chose the intermediate class. She soon realised she was out of her depth: she belonged with ‘the novices’. As McCall wrote, it was ‘a difficult thing to be told when one has been playing bridge regularly, every other week, for 35 years’.

https://www.spectato.../01/bridge-258/
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-May-21, 14:27

View Postmobayman, on 2024-May-20, 12:33, said:

Mobayman

What do you play?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users