BBO Discussion Forums: Comparing Freestyle chess and Pokerbridge. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Comparing Freestyle chess and Pokerbridge. Maybe a good idea to promote bridge.

#1 User is offline   carl3 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-March-25, 15:10

Many more would play bridge if it wasn't for the need to learn a biddingsystem. In chess it is the need to learn opening theory that is the problem. Recently a tournament in
"Freestyle chess" was held. All the very best players in the world took part and fought for big money. The idea was not to substitute chess for another game but to "open up"
ordinary chess for those who want to play the game without opening preparation. Now bridge could do something similar with "a bridge without bidding". It does not have to be
"Pokerbridge" but it can definitely not be minibridge. A "Minibridge Cup" was tried in Sweden but only once then there were too few interested. The variation of Pokerbridge
where the introducer provides the pot has worked very well for me with a lot of young players getting started with ordinary bridge. But as a bridgeplayer I am completely unknown
which makes it hard to spread my idea. I have however a lot of viewers so I hope that some of them will try my method and see how well it works. All the Best! Carl

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-March-25, 16:27

carl3, on 2024-March-25, 15:10, said:

Many more would play bridge if it wasn't for the need to learn a biddingsystem. In chess it is the need to learn opening theory that is the problem. Recently a tournament in
"Freestyle chess" was held. All the very best players in the world took part and fought for big money. The idea was not to substitute chess for another game but to "open up"
ordinary chess for those who want to play the game without opening preparation. Now bridge could do something similar with "a bridge without bidding". It does not have to be
"Pokerbridge" but it can definitely not be minibridge. A "Minibridge Cup" was tried in Sweden but only once then there were too few interested. The variation of Pokerbridge
where the introducer provides the pot has worked very well for me with a lot of young players getting started with ordinary bridge. But as a bridgeplayer I am completely unknown
which makes it hard to spread my idea. I have however a lot of viewers so I hope that some of them will try my method and see how well it works. All the Best! Carl

Attempting to accept without further comment your sixth (?) consecutive attempt at promotion of your game, I think the analogy is poor.
The opening preparation of chess is (I would suggest from limited experience) codified, memory intensive and rewards experience, whereas the successive play is more fluid and rewards capacity of reasoning.
In bridge it is almost the opposite, with the auction offering ample spaces that reward capacity of reasoning and the all important phase of defensive play being ritualistic, memory intensive and experience rewarding. Declarer play is somewhere in the middle, but not for beginners.

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-25, 23:26

To be fair, the relative popularity of so-called 'freestyle chess' and 'pokerbridge' compared to the real thing may be roughly similar.
Non legit hoc

#4 User is offline   carl3 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-March-26, 00:17

Why is it that my attempt to promote bridge is seen as I an attempt to promote MY game?? It is the METHOD I try to communicate NOT the game! To sit down with just
two and start directly to play a game which leads to bridge that is the point! The (little) money is needed only in the beginning. Without it it is not possible to
get any play at all. And you will certainly win back some of it. The general belief among the young is that bridge is something old people start playing when they
are about to die. Much would be gained if that way to see bridge could be changed. All the Best! Carl

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-March-27, 13:20

Stop trying to make 'Fetch' happen.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Pubd-spHN-0
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   0 carbon