BBO Discussion Forums: Jacoby Transfer after 1NT overcall - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jacoby Transfer after 1NT overcall

#1 User is offline   meg908 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-September-01, 18:30

Bidding sequence for discussion: I dealt and I pass (S), W opens 1S, N (my partner) overcalls 1NT, E passes, I bid 2D (Jacoby Transfer to hearts). There was disagreement at the table about whether or not I can transfer after I've passed the first time around. I can't find the answer online (may be an issue of how I'm wording the question). Thanks for any help you can offer.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2023-September-01, 19:54

Yes it is common to agree to transfers by a passed hand
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-September-01, 20:17

More generally, it's a very common agreement to play the same responses to a 1NT overcall as you do when partner opens 1NT. So common that I would be comfortable assuming that as a default unless discussed otherwise.

There are good reasons to transfer to hearts even though you're a passed hand. The strong hand is declarer which means the defence doesn't know where all the high cards are. And the lead comes into the strong hand, which means it is less likely that honours in dummy will be finessed on the opening lead. So few pairs will change their responses to 1NT when partner is a passed hand, and again without discussion I would be comfortable assuming that transfers are still on in this position.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-September-02, 06:02

Personally I prefer natural responses. It's important to be able to sign off in 2 or 2, and it's fine to let the strong opponent be on lead. Transfers are primarily good for slam auctions which won't come up often when one opponent has opened.

I would play the same system by a passed and unpassed hand , otherwise it gets too complicated.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-September-02, 13:31

View Posthelene_t, on 2023-September-02, 06:02, said:

Personally I prefer natural responses. It's important to be able to sign off in 2 or 2, and it's fine to let the strong opponent be on lead. Transfers are primarily good for slam auctions which won't come up often when one opponent has opened.

I would play the same system by a passed and unpassed hand , otherwise it gets too complicated.

While slam is vanishingly unlikely after passing in first or second seat, games are common and finding the right strain is also important.

If you bid ‘naturally’, non-forcing or (as I gather you prefer) not even invitational, game bidding becomes, at best, crude.

How do you find a 4=4 major suit fit?

How do you distinguish between weak, invitational or forcing hands for advancer?

How do you show a two suited hand? Even, say, 5=4 or 4=5 majors after (1m) 1N (P) ?

The reality is that the frequency of needing to play 2C or 2D is extremely low. If you do need to do so, then playing a reasonable set of agreements will let you play 3C or 3D, often breaking even since sometimes your side makes 9 tricks….remember, responder passed 1N, and partner has at least 15 sitting behind most of the defensive strength.

Meanwhile, being able to show and distinguish between various constructive or better hands, being able to right-side 2M when advancer is weak (not so much the lead, on these auctions, but very much concealing the strong hand), and getting to show more distributions is very valuable. Which is why, I suspect, the vast majority of experienced players play ‘system on’…of course, ease of memory is another factor.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-September-03, 05:56

We've agreed to play system on, but to use 2D as "to play" if they've bid hearts.

#7 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-September-04, 11:44

View PostKungsgeten, on 2023-September-03, 05:56, said:

We've agreed to play system on, but to use 2D as "to play" if they've bid hearts.

I think some play 2H is GI hearts if they've bid spades. I suppose 2D could be GI spades if they've bid hearts, but to play makes sense as well.

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-September-04, 17:27

I play cuebid as stayman with many partners after their NT overcall. Yes, invites become a little hairier, but 10-sixth in a minor and a 3 count becomes much easier.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-September-04, 18:30

#10 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-September-08, 11:38

Hi,

you could play, that the impossible xfer in their (major) suit showes exactly a inv. hand with the other major,
the other xfer either weak or strong.

This is way to get inv. seq. back after a w2 opening, when the xfer happens on the 3 level, I see no reason, why you should
not use the idea, after a 1 NT overcall over their 1 level major suit opening.

It rarely comes up, but than the impossible xfer is a wakeup call.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users