• You cannot reply to this topic

diamonds

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-May-10, 10:10

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-10, 10:17

My systems aren't made for showing minimum openings with an 8-card minor. I'd bid 2, there's no chance that the bidding dies here. 3 promises more points (especially on defence against their 4) and 4 promises support. 5 is a close second. Partner is a favourite to hold 4=5 in the majors and some values.

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-10, 10:43

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-10, 11:00

What is 1-(P)-2 in your partnership? I'm surprised that partner can't make a stronger bid with the opponents silent this round and a (presumed) known spade fit. Maybe partner has got 4=6 in the majors and a 10-count? Also just to confirm: does partner ever bid this way with only five hearts?

I'll be honest: I think 3 is the right bid, to cater to partner having (say) a 4=6=0=3 minimum or so, but I don't trust the auction at all. Maybe there's a case for bidding 4 now - possibly losing the auction, but always winning the postmortem.

#5 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-10, 11:06

This is a new partnership so I'm not completely familiar with partners style. 2 could be 5+
2/1 would be weak.
(still learning)

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-May-10, 11:11

Some pairs got to 5 after imo, some wild bidding. C'est La Vie
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-10, 11:16

I don't think there's a way to get this right reliably in a new partnership, especially if 2 can be five. I think 3 is the system bid, understating the strength of our hand to cater to a misfit (and relying on partner to upgrade their hand on the auction with two diamonds and some club values, while not hanging me in 3NT with lousy diamonds). Partner should realise we didn't bid 3 or 3NT last round, didn't bid 2, 2NT, 3 or 3NT now and play us for a 7-card diamond suit that is not self-sufficient. Possibly 3 is even better, but I'm not risking it.

As far as I'm concerned there's no way to win - go low and walk into the cliché "You had a 4-loser hand with an 8 card suit, how could you not bid game?!", or go high and walk into "Did you not hear me run from your diamonds twice? Of course I don't have support, you're lucky to have escaped for just two off!". A good partner will upgrade their hand tremendously with two small diamonds over our 3.

EDIT: I just saw the hand, Ax is incredible on the auction and the soft hearts are a plus. I think East is worth another bid over 3. Also North bid poorly.

#8 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-10, 11:17

Hi,

#1 The first question is, what to open.
1D is most likely the majority choice, but 5D has a lot going for it, the main plus:
you are done with the hand.
Getting a 8 card suit across with a min opener is not really possible.

#2 After the shown seq., you have to bid 2D, it showes 6+ and a min opener,
which is a close enough description.

#3 2H from partner should be 6+ and NF, and because it is NF, why introduce a 5 carder,
when partner has shown a 6 carder.
Open for discussion is the strength of the bid.
Over 2H you bid 3D, which still could be a 6 carder, but 7 carder is more likely.

#4 Sometimes you make overtricks, ..., 5D would have the job get done, but you won the part
score battle.
But giving it a mild push by raising 3D to 4D is not out of this world.
3D is most likely based on a hand with a heart single, i.e. the 6th Q is no big wastage,
the Ace is gold, ..., get it right, MP is a stop signal.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#9 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-May-10, 11:26

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2023-May-10, 11:17, said:

Over 2H you bid 3D, which still could be a 6 carder, but 7 carder is more likely.
I agree with everything else except this part. There's no point running from 2 to 3 with a 6-card suit (that we've already shown), much like there's no point running from 2 to 2 on a 5-card suit (that partner couldn't raise/support redouble). Also keep in mind we were not in a force when we bid 2, thanks to the double.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-May-10, 12:07

We would rebid 3, not clear if partner bids over this, because 3 is limited by the failure to go through a GF 2N, 3 tends to be low point count good playing strength, usually 7-7.5 tricks or so.
5 is a lucky make, requires J onside if they manage to play 2 trumps

#11 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-May-10, 17:04

X by South should promise at least 4-4 in the unbid suits so I'm bidding at least 2 as North. In fact my bid is 1NT in 4th seat showing 54. The competition is why I guess some pairs get pushed to 5.

Playing an unbalanced (1-1 is GI) I have an unusual approach, which ends up with the same auction as far as:
1-2 is 6+ <8/9hcp
1-1 (either/both Majors]
2 6+-2 6+ 8/9-10hcp
I would infer the same strength/length using the more natural approach above.
From this point with a self-sustaining suit and 5 modified losers 4 is then my bid asking partner to convert to 5 with suitable values/tricks.

#12 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2023-May-11, 01:36

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-May-10, 11:26, said:

I agree with everything else except this part. There's no point running from 2 to 3 with a 6-card suit (that we've already shown), much like there's no point running from 2 to 2 on a 5-card suit (that partner couldn't raise/support redouble). Also keep in mind we were not in a force when we bid 2, thanks to the double.

I dont disagree, and I did not give the X much though, but one point not yet mentioned,
2D showed a 6 card suit, but it did not overly stress suit quality.
3D does stress this and sends the message, I am prepared to play the suit as trumps, even
if facing a single.
Most of the time you will have 7+ suit, but sometimes a good 6 card suit will do.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users