BBO Discussion Forums: The randomness of club bridge - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The randomness of club bridge and why we sometimes don't declare as often as we should

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-March-12, 04:52

First board of the first round of the evening:

We were playing 5CM strong NT. I wanted to bid 3 at my second turn to show a good hand with spade support but it is likely that would confuse partner, and in the past she has interpreted 3 in analogous auctions as invitational. When 4 came round to me I took partner for a minimum opener and decided opponents have gone too far so hit it. We can get it three off but I or we didn't find the perfect defence but +300 was a top as everyone else is playing in a major partscore or going off in game.

They got their revenge with interest on the next two boards:

Board 2:

I made a mistake in the defence and let this through (I should have led a club later in the play but tried to endplay declarer in case he held the club king and blew a trump trick. Partner didn't provide a signal to suggest a potentially useful club card. I should have played one anyway, if declarer had the club king I am endplayed and it makes no difference). That was worth 10%. One pair played in 4X=, two were in 3, one took 1 one off.

Board 3:

Opponents bid to 6 on these cards making which was worth 10% for us. Only one other pair found the heart slam, one went off in 6, the rest were in game.

My defence still needs some work and I am not quite managing to use the available information optimally to find the best play.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-12, 08:17

It's hard to imagine how others missed the slam on board 3, unless the opponents get in early with diamonds?

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-March-12, 10:21

View Postpescetom, on 2023-March-12, 08:17, said:

It's hard to imagine how others missed the slam on board 3, unless the opponents get in early with diamonds?

I held as North:

QJ653
QT863

Partner was dealer and passed. After West opened 1 I decided not to bid an unusual 2NT even though we were green against red, as I felt it was most unlikely we would buy the hand and it would just present a map of the layout to declarer. I guess others thought differently.

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-12, 14:10

View PostAL78, on 2023-March-12, 10:21, said:

I held as North:

QJ653
QT863

Partner was dealer and passed. After West opened 1 I decided not to bid an unusual 2NT even though we were green against red, as I felt it was most unlikely we would buy the hand and it would just present a map of the layout to declarer. I guess others thought differently.

2NT is either bunnicide or suicide: but even without a decent agreement over Unusual, East should be able to communicate that they may have more than game. Uncontested, it's a motorway.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users