• You cannot reply to this topic

Multi checkup

#1 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-February-16, 11:58

I'm always on the lookout for Multi possibilities, or my opponents Multi.

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-February-16, 12:29

If 2H could include spades (and while I think that it’s ok to sometimes bid 2M with a side 4 card minor, I think that 2H has to be 5-5 if the side suit is spades, for precisely this hand type) then 2S seems best.

One reason that my partnerships dropped the major two suiter hand is exactly this sort of situation

If his side suit is always a minor, we bid 2N because 3m is probably better than 2H plus, importantly, 2N has preemptive value.

But imo we can’t afford to force to 3M when he has both majors, and 2N does that

The not insignificant problem we have if he could have spades is that, usually, he doesn’t. Then bidding 2S, pass or correct, does two things, neither good for us.

It signals weakness. Not for sure…but usually.

Worse: there are going to be many hands on which LHO can’t afford 3S now, over 2N, or later but in which he has an easy double of 2S, allowing them into the auction when we know that they have the bulk of the hcp.

We could pass, out of fear of that double, but any hand that would double 2S will probably balance 2S over 2H….that is a far different situation than having to bid 3S now or later
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-February-16, 12:48

The 2H, hearts + another (could be spades) is the main problem I am having with Multi. If I was going to be in NZ for more than just another couple of weeks I would work it out with my partner but I'm not and I am not likely to play it back in Canada. I will go back and read how you play 2N over partners Multi opening again, I'm playing it as ~14+

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-16, 13:07

Easy pass for us.

You are not making game and are in a seven-card fit. You have goood defence if opponents bid either minor.

#5 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2023-February-16, 13:18

2 (P/C)

#6 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-February-16, 15:12

Here's the full hand, (I'm West) 3 was P/C
The bidding, from a competent pair, surprised me. The opening perhaps influenced by their opponents inexperience with Multi.

#7 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-16, 15:59

View Postjillybean, on 2023-February-16, 15:12, said:

Here's the full hand, I'm West. 3 P/C
The bidding, from a competent pair, surprised me. The opening perhaps influenced by their opponents inexperience with Multi.

Was the TD competent and involved?
It does look as if S knew there might not be 5 cards in second suit.

#8 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-February-16, 16:14

I did not call the Director.

#9 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-11, 16:16

Multi weak in a major or 20-22 balanced
My options are 2 P/C, 2NT 14+, partner response to 2NT will be 2M minimum, 3C 's max, 3D max
I know I only have 13

#10 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-11, 18:44

2 seems like the best call. I don't really see any alternative - pass might work once in a while, but I'd much prefer it if East were an unpassed hand for that action.

#11 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-12, 02:12

2H is the system bid.

#12 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-12, 02:20

Easy 2H. Even so more at green vs red!

#13 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-29, 10:46

I'm back in Canada, still having fun with Multi, weak major or 20-22
2 (multi) : 2 pass or correct
2:2N 14+

2 : 2. showing 33xx 11-13 ish

Good, bad or are there better uses?

#14 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-March-29, 11:05

View Postjillybean, on 2023-March-29, 10:46, said:

I'm back in Canada, still having fun with Multi, weak major or 20-22
2 (multi) : 2 pass or correct
2:2N 14+

2 : 2. showing 33xx 11-13 ish

Good, bad or are there better uses?

I strongly dislike including a strong option.

One of the advantages of weak multi is the freedom it gives responder

A common treatment is that 2D 4C asks opener to transfer to his major while 4D asks him to bid his major (allowing choice of who is declarer and also, if one bids 4D, allowing for slam overs next).

My point is that responder can bid 4D on some 4441 hand with a very weak hand or a strong hand. He can bid 3H, pass or correct, with a variety of hands.

Iow, he can make it difficult for the opps, especially 4th chair if dealer opened 2D.

One has to be far more careful, and timid, if partner could have a balanced 22….we don’t have an assured or yet found fit and we can’t bid weak hands the same way we bid strong hands.

Multi gains, when it gains, from ambiguity. The ambiguity disappears after the strong 2N rebid and meanwhile, on the vast majority of hands (a weak two is FAR more common than a balanced 22-24) we’ve wilfully thrown away our advantage by not bumping the auction.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#15 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-29, 11:10

Earlier this week I started playing the weak-only multi. It came up 5 times the first evening, and two more times if you count our weak two openings as well.

We play the structure outlined in https://www.bridgeba...eak-only-multi/. I think including 20-22 balanced will decrease the effectiveness somewhat, giving up on all higher pass or correct bids, the ability to pass and perhaps some stolen bid doubles in competition. As far as I know it is standard for 2 to deny spade support and show some amount of heart support (although this is not strictly what we play in weak-only).

View Postmikeh, on 2023-March-29, 11:05, said:

A common treatment is that 2D 4C asks opener to transfer to his major while 4D asks him to bid his major (allowing choice of who is declarer and also, if one bids 4D, allowing for slam overs next).

My point is that responder can bid 4D on some 4441 hand with a very weak hand or a strong hand. He can bid 3H, pass or correct, with a variety of hands.
I agree but want to point out that you 'never' have a strong hand facing the 20-22 type (which is true even more often facing your 22-24). Including strong options in your multi gives up on most jump responses (and as far as I can tell for little benefit) but the 4 and 4 responses are relatively safe if you don't bid them on preemptive hands (since this style gives up on preemptive raises from the get-go). Weak hands respond as normal, the strong version finds some cute bid between 4NT and 7NT.

#16 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-March-29, 11:11

2D-2NT needs to be strong enough to play in game opposite the upper end of the range for your weak options. It will depend on your range of course, but 14+ sounds too low. You then need to discuss your response to the 2NT inquiry. A simple scheme is that 3C/3D show upper range in hearts/spades respectively and you bid the suit with lower range.

You can actually divide the range into three if you prefer, so 3C/3D show either top of range or bottom of range with 3H/S showing the middle of the range. Then bidding the intermediate suit over 3CD asks again whether top or bottom.

2D-2S can be any hand where you are prepared to compete to 3H, but not 3S, so likely only a doubleton spade. With 3-3 in the majors, bid 3H (pass or correct)

#17 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2023-March-29, 11:24

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-March-29, 11:10, said:

Earlier this week I started playing the weak-only multi. It came up 5 times the first evening, and two more times if you count our weak two openings as well.

We play the structure outlined in https://www.bridgeba...eak-only-multi/. I think including 20-22 balanced will decrease the effectiveness somewhat, giving up on all higher pass or correct bids, the ability to pass and perhaps some stolen bid doubles in competition. As far as I know it is standard for 2 to deny spade support and show some amount of heart support (although this is not strictly what we play in weak-only).

I agree but want to point out that you 'never' have a strong hand facing the 20-22 type (which is true even more often facing your 22-24). Including strong options in your multi gives up on most jump responses (and as far as I can tell for little benefit) but the 4 and 4 responses are relatively safe if you don't bid them on preemptive hands (since this style gives up on preemptive raises from the get-go). Weak hands respond as normal, the strong version finds some cute bid between 4NT and 7NT.

Strong is a relative term

#18 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-29, 15:33

Thanks. I doubt that I will convince partner to drop the strong part, yet, but will keep it in mind for future.

#19 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2023-March-29, 18:12

MikeH: "If his side suit is always a minor, we bid 2N because 3m is probably better than 2H plus, importantly, 2N has preemptive value." This is by far not optimal. 2NT should always show values, not ask for the minor. With the minors as here, bid 3C/3D pass or correct. Who knows you may even pick up their suit .
Jilly after playing 2D Multi for a long time, I have come to the conclusion a 2D opening whould always be some weak 2 and include no strong option. This puts a lot of pressure on the opponents as 2D might even be passed.
2H = H and another is a very poor bid. We gave this up after analysing results as it was a loser.. Play 2H = H and a minor. If you want a bid to show Majors, play 2D as Ekrens.

"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#20 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-March-29, 19:11

I'm new to Multi and my partner is already playing a lot of my system so I think I need to make a concession here.
I do dislike 2H hearts + other, I will likely change that to H+m

Playing Multi weak+strong, 2NT becomes 55 minors, we play 2C as 23+ (not my favorite)
If we drop the strong hand from Multi do you use 2NT for 20-21(22) hands ? Thus leaving 3C/3D our only method for weak minors.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users