BBO Discussion Forums: A hand I enjoyed watching as dummy - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A hand I enjoyed watching as dummy A missed opportunity

#1 User is offline   wuudturner 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-February-03, 12:36

Yesterday we played in a friendly team game, just among people we have known for many years.

The bidding was nothing special. East opens a precision 1♠, showing 11 to a bad 16 count, with 5+ spades. 2♢ is a 2/1, so is game forcing. 2NT shows by our agreement 6+ cards or more in spades, and 4♠ denied interest in slam opposite a precision 1♠ opener.

South leads the club 6, won by the king in dummy, as North plays an upside down 3, so she surely has the queen.

Now declarer leads a spade towards his hand. North plays low, the king by declarer, and South plays the jack in tempo. To me as dummy, it seems clear. You need to return to dummy in clubs, lead another spade, and if North again plays low, insert the 8, finessing against the original A974 in the North hand. This is necessary if spades were split 4-1. Unless... Could South have been the devious type who would falsecard the jack from J9 doubleton? This of course is a big part of what I love about bridge. The battle of wits between declarer and an opponent who wants to create a picture in the mind of declarer - a picture that is different from reality.

Anyway, partner is of the same mind as me. He returns to dummy with a club to the ace. Now he leads a second spade through North, planning on inserting the 8 if the 7 appears from North. He had decided to pay off to the falsecard if South was good enough to find it.

Sadly, today North was also tricked. She flew up with the ace on the second round of trumps, as we all watched the 9 fall impotently underneath. Really, there was no good reason for North to play the ace. She was flat, and would never have the opportunity to use her remaining trump.

Still we all congratulated South on finding a nice play. I'd have enjoyed it so much more had it worked though, even against us.

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-February-03, 15:07

Have to admit it a good play from South, but I think many good players would have found it. You have nothing to lose by playing the J creating doubt in declarer's mind.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-February-04, 07:27

Pretty and a good effort from South, and not one I would find at the table but I will commit it to memory and look out for opportunities to try it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users