• You cannot reply to this topic

Don’t be sloppy

#21 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2023-February-01, 10:26

View Postmikeh, on 2023-January-29, 16:26, said:

I returned to club bridge on Saturday, plying only my second game in some 4-5 years. I played with a friend with whom I last played maybe 15 years ago.

I picked up Axx AQx AKJxxx x

I opened 1D and partner bid a game-force 2C. Planning ahead, I decided to bid 2N, expecting to raise 3N to 4 N if that happened.

Partner rebid 3C, I bid 3D, and then we had the 3N 4N 6N auction

Are you sure the auction didn't go

?

#22 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-February-01, 11:07

View Postnullve, on 2023-February-01, 10:26, said:

Are you sure the auction didn't go

?

Yes. I’m sure it didn’t go that way. I held the diamond hand. I’m happy with my auction, btw.

Edit

At imps there’s an argument for 2D. At mps, once he bid 2C I know I’m expecting to look for 6N. This wasn’t the Blue Ribbon Pairs.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#23 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-03, 06:15

Good hand and excellent point about pitching a useless diamond on the 2nd club.

Stepping into the bidding. After 4N (quantitative), what does anyone think of the idea (when willing to accept invite to 6) of answering it like it was regular blackwood. This sort of acceptance would indicate not just a willingness to bid 6 but to bid 7 if our side has all of the first round controls? This idea would have allowed us to reach 7 on this pair of hands.

#24 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-03, 06:30

I think it's a very mediocre idea. Personally I much prefer to show extra shape instead. Of course jumping to the 6-level with any acceptance is even worse, but I don't think the number of aces is nearly the most productive information to share.

If you do stick with the aces idea make sure to discuss which sequences are forcing. There's no point in showing aces if you can't get out at the 5-level over disappointing responses.

#25 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-04, 18:55

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-February-03, 06:30, said:

I think it's a very mediocre idea. Personally I much prefer to show extra shape instead. Of course jumping to the 6-level with any acceptance is even worse, but I don't think the number of aces is nearly the most productive information to share.

If you do stick with the aces idea make sure to discuss which sequences are forcing. There's no point in showing aces if you can't get out at the 5-level over disappointing responses.

5n by the 4n bidder would be a sign off but should happen in the rarest of circumstances. This is because the 4n partner is showing their aces in the hopes of bidding a diffcult to reach 7 and the 4n bidders p is willing to go to the 6 level (they might prefer playing in a long minor with few NT entries).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users