BBO Discussion Forums: Takeout or Overcal - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Takeout or Overcal natural 2/1

Poll: Takeout or Overcall (16 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you bid?

1. 2H (10 votes [62.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. X (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Other (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Frank_lol_ 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-January-21, 11:45

Hand Editor doesn't load, so I'll do it in the ugly way:
P P 1S ?
IMPs, both vul
5 AQT85 A942 AQ9

#2 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-January-21, 11:54

Neither because I play a Power X

#3 User is offline   Frank_lol_ 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-21, 13:06

View Postmw64ahw, on 2023-January-21, 11:54, said:

Neither because I play a Power X

A power double is also a part of takeout double afaik.
But yeah, I meant takeout as in short spade and good support for the other suits.
I would power X with a jack more, but not realy with this, although this is definitely the maximum of a overcall.

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-January-21, 13:46

According to Mike Lawrence, don't double with a 5 card major unless you're strong enough to bid it next time around.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-21, 13:55

View Postsmerriman, on 2023-January-21, 13:46, said:

According to Mike Lawrence, don't double with a 5 card major unless you're strong enough to bid it next time around.

Or it's so bad you want to treat it as 4

#6 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-21, 14:17

Maybe I'm crazy, but vul at IMPs I'm willing to double and bid 3H if it goes (1S)-X-(2S)-P-(P) back to me.

At MPs, I'm a little more scared of the -200 and less interested in hoping for +620

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-21, 14:28

View Postakwoo, on 2023-January-21, 14:17, said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but vul at IMPs I'm willing to double and bid 3H if it goes (1S)-X-(2S)-P-(P) back to me.

At MPs, I'm a little more scared of the -200 and less interested in hoping for +620

We have a higher minimum than most for 2 and respond fairly liberally, if we're making 4 partner will bid, the danger is the game we're making is 5m.

My question would be "Are you happier with the auction going 1-2-2-P-P-X or 1-X-2-P-P-3 ?"

If you're making game in a minor either should suffice but if partner has say a 4144 3 count I think I'd prefer the former unless you expect him to bid over 2 after your double with that. Also if he has a good 4 card spade holding, pass could be a big winner after the bid then double auction.

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-21, 16:22

It's very close, but I'm slightly in favour of double.

#9 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-21, 16:33

View PostFrank_lol_, on 2023-January-21, 13:06, said:

A power double is also a part of takeout double afaik.

Not if you play a NT takeout

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-January-21, 16:35

It’s not close for me. This is an easy 2H and not even a maximum. I’m a believer in my fellow-countryman’s belief in very wide range overcalls (Kokish)

For me, double then hearts is at least a trick stronger…make it x AQJxxx Axx AQx and I double then hearts

As it is, I’m very happy to bid 2H. If it goes, for example, 2S P P to me, a trivial reopening double.

Btw, in both my partnerships we have transfer advances such that if LHO cooperates by passing or doubling, partner can bid 3D with a good raise to 3H and 3H with a weaker. Over the former, I bid game.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-21, 16:58

I really dislike 5-card overcalls at the two-level, but I'll still do it on this hand. We're too likely to lose a heart fit if I start with double.

#12 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-21, 20:11

2S perhaps - a bit offshape :) - appreciate a bit risky if we don't have hearts or diamonds - but if partner has clubs they would bid that :)
- probably 2H so as not to upset people

#13 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-21, 22:21

I actually think this is a great hand to post as it is between strong and weak, at equal red vulnerability, partner has already passed, there is the likely situation as the opps. have bid that they would outbid you, and table position, etc.

A couple of commentators have indicated what happens when the opps. raise to 2, but I am more worried what happens if they bid 3 as a weak call over a TOX. That said, a TOX should show, but does not necessarily infer, tolerance for three suits here, whereas an overcall of 2 is likely to lose the other suits in the bidding. Partner could well be holding a reasonable 6m suit in his hand but due to the vulnerability could not open.

I agree with pescetom that it is close, and on the day either bid might be the right one. I am not even going to vote! The state of the match at IMPs or how our partnership were doing in a MP event might be a deciding factor.

If I were to spin a coin, I prefer very slightly 2 as there is less chance the opps. will bounce you with a 3 bid. I am actually more worried what I would lead if the opps. land in a contract with this hand :)

#14 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-22, 02:44

Overcalls at the 2-level with 5-cd suits are more common with H (find fit to potentially play game at the 4 level and use ruffing power to take tricks than with minors (the game in minors is 9 tricks as you all know😁😁and you need a long suit to develop them). The quality of the suit is well enough to be bid.

As MikeH says (as always), I’ll describe my hand much better with bidding H and X than the reverse which would overstate my strength.

I’ll X with x Axxxx AQx AQxx but that is not what I have today so 2H for me.

Which doesn’t mean I’m not signing in for 8 or 1100 when partner is broke and KJ97x are sitting over me (these things happen) - if that was what triggered the question!

#15 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-22, 09:21

My preference for playing a Power X and NT takeout is specifically a hand like this where with a 1NT bid you would be expected to have a stopper to be able to show this strength.
Partner with the stopper/length can then bid 1NT/2NT/3NT with the requisite strength or have a better idea of what other contract and level works.
Playing a standard approach leaves a wider strength range.
In this case it is a takeout shape and I double as this provides the highest probability of finding and eight card fit from the off

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-24, 20:11

Playing standard? 2. I have nothing to add to MikeH's explanation or Cyberyeti's "what would you prefer..." line.

Playing Power doubles? 2. While I have no qualms making a takeout NT bid with a 5 card major, I'm not going to do it with this strong a hand/suit. And I'm not anywhere near strong enough to double when partner's going to pass with J9xx and a card - they're making overtricks unless both kings are in the pocket. Yes, double starts at 15+, but "with a minimum, partner's going to have at least xx."

But nobody but us two and Jeff Goldsmith's partners play Power Doubles, so...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users