Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Couple of awkward ones

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-January-17, 13:30

These were both dealt in prctice, so no actual scoring method or vul, but I tend to think more teams than pairs, say if you think it matters.

Any suggestions ? (in case you can't see the explanations, 2 is a weak only multi, weak 2 in a major, 0-9 5+ cards, 2 is pass or correct

1 is Acol style 4+ cards although only 4 if 3433 or 44(32) and 15+
2 is weak 5+ cards, 0-9

I will give the other hand for this one later.

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-17, 13:39

On the first board I would double (takeout). This might wrongside 3NT if partner has something like Axx in an otherwise minimum hand and LHO has spades, but it's the system bid.

On the second board I'm not familiar enough with the system. I think the 44 option is unlikely (that's a lot of spades in the deck) and I might just accept that over 3=4=3=3 I am always poorly placed, so I'll raise partner's presumed five card suit with 3. A bit bold, but we support with support.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-17, 13:55

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-January-17, 13:39, said:

On the first board I would double (takeout). This might wrongside 3NT if partner has something like Axx in an otherwise minimum hand and LHO has spades, but its the system bid.

On the second board I'm not familiar enough with the system. I think the 44 option is unlikely (that's a lot of spades in the deck) and I might just accept that over 3=4=3=3 I am always poorly placed, so I'll raise partner's presumed five card suit with 3. A bit bold, but we support with support.

When you say takeout, do you mean takeout of hearts, or just general takeout ? on the first one.

The second one is interesting, I assumed most would pass, you don't necessarily want to be at the 3 level with a quacky 8 count with only 3 hearts opposite some of our openers even when partner does have 5.

#4 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-17, 14:23

Takeout of hearts to the first one, but like any takeout double that includes nondescript strong hands (as if they had opened a weak two in hearts).

On the second hand I would not be surprised to find that most would pass, or even that on reflection it is the percentage action. However, our 'support with support' partnership agreements are very robust. We will stretch and bend as much as it takes to raise partner. It is also worth mentioning that we have a 2NT invitational(+) raise, 3 GF raise and 4m fitbids available, which takes a bit of pressure off of the direct raise. It is still a stretch, but we support on any excuse. On a good day partner has got something in diamonds for us.
We could wait for partner (passing and hoping partner keeps the auction open), but I think we will not have a good action over partner's likely double (3, but we are over strength), 3 (again, we are way too strong for 3), 3 (I think 4 is good if this is what happens at the table) or 3 (now what? High or low?). We might even be fixed over a Good/Bad 2NT, if you play that on this auction. And if the opponents somehow find a raise (who knows, maybe partner is void in spades) we could be in real trouble by not acting now.

Perhaps we should plan to pass, hope partner doubles, then bid 2NT (ostensibly scrambling) and correct to 3 (maximum for the pass, with 3(+)-card support). That would be a nice description of our hand, but it relies on the next 9 calls going exactly the way we plan them to. I think this is an unpleasant risk.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-17, 16:29

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-January-17, 14:23, said:

Takeout of hearts to the first one, but like any takeout double that includes nondescript strong hands (as if they had opened a weak two in hearts).

Part of the point of the question was that I would have tried 3N after a 2 opener where the risk opener actually has AKJxxx is there after the multi.

#6 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-January-17, 16:36

I'm almost tempted by 3NT on the first hand, but will settle for X as Power rather than takeout.
If 3 is available to ask for a stopper then that works

Pass on the 2nd

#7 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-17, 16:46

The sequence (2)-3NT shows a completely different hand type, strong flexible hands are better off asking for some more information. The possibility that the opener is staring at a parade in spades makes the double more attractive, if anything.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-18, 04:35

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-January-17, 16:46, said:

The sequence (2)-3NT shows a completely different hand type, strong flexible hands are better off asking for some more information. The possibility that the opener is staring at a parade in spades makes the double more attractive, if anything.

X over a straight 2 runs the risk that partner bids 2N (whether this is lebensohl or scramble) from where you're likely to end up in 3N anyway and wrongside it. There is a similar issue here.

#9 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-18, 05:10

Yes, I mentioned that in my first comment. I still double.

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-18, 05:18

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-January-18, 05:10, said:

Yes, I mentioned that in my first comment. I still double.

You mentioned it if opener has spades, it also might wrongside it if opener has hearts and you don't guess who has which side cards.

On the actual hand I wasn't sure what to do, and it probably makes little difference, but I thought it was an awkward problem. Btw I disagree 3N doesn't show this hand type over an opened weak 2, we just play it as one of our ranges of NT overcalls, but it may contain a long minor and stops, partner is not expected to remove without a pretty long suit.

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-18, 06:07

1 double
2 Playing a weak NT, it is responder's duty to do something with 8-10 to cater to opener having 15-17, so 3] with this hand but it is close. Maybe if we play Lebensohl we can show our values after partner's reopening double. After all, partner is not so likely to be balanced.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users