• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RKCB Cleanup

#21 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-January-05, 09:45

There's multiple things wrong with that example, ranging from rebidding 1NT with a decent 6-card suit to jumping twice by West on a slam auction. Since partner shows a balanced hand and West has all the kings every control outside clubs is an ace, so just bid slowly and hear about all of them.

#22 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-05, 10:14

View PostDavidKok, on 2023-January-05, 09:45, said:

There's multiple things wrong with that example, ranging from rebidding 1NT with a decent 6-card suit to jumping twice by West on a slam auction. Since partner shows a balanced hand and West has all the kings every control outside clubs is an ace, so just bid slowly and hear about all of them.

I originally wrote ("please ignore dubious initial auction to allow analogous XYZ continuations"), but hoped it was not necessary :)

Yes the Aces will show up in a control-bid sequence without Exclusion, just as they will in the original example with East unbalanced too.
But I don't see it as unreasonable to use Exclusion in either case, although I concede the examples would be more telling if Exclusion was really necessary.

#23 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-05, 11:04

There's certainly examples where Exclusion is the best approach to the hand, and even ones where it would be the best approach with one set of answers but a poor choice with a different one. I just think this is so infrequent that it's not very important. I appreciate not wanting to nitpick over the example, although it rather ruins my main gripe of Exclusion - there's usually more than enough bidding space to find the answers you're looking for with a slower route, while preserving all your options.

Ironically I don't play Exclusion precisely because I want to discourage partner from jumping in situations where it's not suitable. In theory we should be able to sit down, discuss the pros and cons of Exclusion, find a reasonable subset of hands and auctions where we think the bid the best course of action and play it on those sequences. In practice it takes us past the optimum 3NT opposite misfits far too often, and is often not even necessary on the hands where the jump is safe. That's why I prefer not to play it - it is very rare that Exclusion is the best course of action, and rarer still that it is the best course of action depending on your answering scheme.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users