BBO Discussion Forums: Any interest? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any interest?

#1 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-November-29, 12:29

The recent thread of whether anyone can teach on BBO got me thinking

I’m considering hanging out my shingle as a teacher or coach.

My preferred students would be advanced or intermediate players or pairs looking to improve bidding, declarer play, and defence. The focus would be on how to think at the table.

I’m familiar with most versions of 2/1 and reasonably familiar with basic big club methods. I don’t think I’d be a good match for Acol or polish club bidders…if those are your preferred methods, I might be able to help with play issues but not bidding.

As for my credentials, regular BBFreaders will know me from my many posts here. If you’re not familiar with me, I have represented Canada in four World Championships, and while rarely playing more than two tournaments a year, have 8,000 masterpoints and almost 50 Regional wins (but of course I’ve played a long time)

I see my ideal situation as being one of:

a) one on one. Likely an online (zoom) discussion followed by online BBO, either partnership bidding practice or actual Main Club play. In each case, a follow up session to review the boards and to answer questions

b) coaching a pair. Probably have the pair send me their convention card and, if available, system notes. Then play a set on BBO followed by a zoom review/discussion which in turn would be followed by emails adding to or confirming the points discussed. A preliminary zoom meeting could also be included.

c) groups of four or more. Zoom discussions, perhaps of issues that the group or members want discussed…and definitely lots of Q and A involved. Emails, summarizing or adding to the discussion if desired.

As for cost….I was thinking that one on one would be $40 an hour Canadian (roughly $30 US). $45 for a pair…or $22.50 each. $50 for groups of four or more. I expect I’d limit the size of any group, in order to allow every student to be able to participate meaningfully in the Q & A sessions.

Since any student would be taking a small leap of faith in my teaching abilities, there would be no requirement to commit to any particular length of study. If one signed up for the one on one, we’d discuss how long one ‘session’ might take…initial discussion, session on BBO, follow up discussion and, if requested, email comments.

I would require payment in advance, via e-transfers if possible.

Whether I do this depends (obviously!) on the extent of interest shown.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-November-29, 12:59

I'd potentially be interested, not until next year but I reckon I could benefit significantly from learning from a world class player.

#3 User is offline   portiacara 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-November-29, 18:17

yes. Interested.

Ed@rehabbuild.com
san francisco, ca

#4 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-November-30, 21:52

You are a real asset to these forum pages, mikeh, and any bridge player(s) wishing to learn more from the game would definitely be in the hands of an excellent player and teacher. All the best.

#5 User is offline   oops sry p 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-December-01, 14:42

Hi Mike

I'll send you a BBO mail with my email address.

Ta

Babs

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users