Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duplicate hands

#1 User is offline   1 athena 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-November-07, 07:29

I recently played in a 2 x 10 board Teams match and we had 2 identical boards. The match is absolutely supposed to deliver random hands. There seems to be no explanation for this and I am wondering whether anybody would know how this could happen or venture a plausible theory.

Cheers

Confused at BBO

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-November-07, 09:25

Hi Athena,

You posted this in the general bridge discussion forum (not BBO specific). Did the incident happen on BBO? In that case, it might help to send info about which team match it was to support@bridgeb... so they can investigate.

If it happened in face to face bridge using automatically dealt hands, then I think it must have been an operator error. It has happened a few times at our club also.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-November-07, 15:56

View Posthelene_t, on 2022-November-07, 09:25, said:

Hi Athena,

You posted this in the general bridge discussion forum (not BBO specific). Did the incident happen on BBO? In that case, it might help to send info about which team match it was to support@bridgeb... so they can investigate.

If it happened in face to face bridge using automatically dealt hands, then I think it must have been an operator error. It has happened a few times at our club also.

I think it's pretty clear that this incident was on BBO and just landed in the wrong forum.

Face to face I can imagine it if the dealing machine gave a spurious error and the operator did not notice it and just plugged in the next board... but then all the successive boards would not match the diagram (which is unlikely to go without notice, even if there is no lead check). Otherwise I'm stumped, but have great respect for Murphy :)

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-November-07, 16:59

View Post1 athena, on 2022-November-07, 07:29, said:

I recently played in a 2 x 10 board Teams match and we had 2 identical boards. The match is absolutely supposed to deliver random hands. There seems to be no explanation for this and I am wondering whether anybody would know how this could happen or venture a plausible theory.

Cheers

Confused at BBO

There is no result in your hands history, so I'm guessing the match got cancelled.

BBO delivers random deals only if the match is set to use random deals. If the host chooses to upload their own set of deals, then the boards are whatever the host prepared. Maybe worth asking the person who created the match whether they uploaded prepared deals or not.

Or, if you tell us who the host was and when the match was played, we can check.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users