• You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding Slam vs Preempt

#1 User is offline   XenoCat 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-October-31, 15:32

Questions:

• Does the 3♠️ bid show 6+ spades?
  • If my partner then bids 4♣️, is it a cuebid?
  • Does S’s 3♦️bid show a high min at least?

Can bid of 4♣️ be seen as accepting spades and showing a first control in clubs?
Really not sure what the correct path in this is.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-October-31, 16:03

I don't think 3 shows 6 (what do you do with the same honours 5125 ?), I don't think 4 agrees spades, but may depend if you have a bid for a minor 2 suiter that covers a 5-6/5 13 count (our 2-suited bid is stronger than that).

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-31, 16:56

3 is forcing and shows at least five spades and at least something close to opening strength.

South can bid 4 natural, 2 "choice of game", or simply raise to 4. I think I would bid 4.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-October-31, 16:59

View Posthelene_t, on 2022-October-31, 16:56, said:

3 is forcing and shows at least five spades and at least something close to opening strength.

South can bid 4 natural, 2 "choice of game", or simply raise to 4. I think I would bid 4.

Other than the reference to the insufficient call of 2H, I agree.

Actually, to me 3H would be either hoping partner can bid 3N (where I am intending to pass) or where I have a good hand with a heart control and a spade fit
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-October-31, 19:31

Welcome to the forum, XenoCat. Your first two questions have been answered correctly imo. Your third question "Does East's - I think you mean South's 3 - bid show a high minimum at least?" is less clear to answer, I feel.

The vulnerability and South's hand is right for you to come in over a 2 pre=empt. That is, to compete in the auction. High point-wise you have 14, which I guess is what you mean by a high minimum. But there are plenty of other hands where it would be right to come in with less points and more distribution. Say you had Qx x KQ10xxx A109x, I would be bidding 3 here also. The reason why I say this is that if the opps. have a 4 game on, it is possible that you may have a 5 contract (going no more than three down doubled) as a profitable sacrifice at this vulnerability.

#6 User is offline   XenoCat 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-November-01, 13:41

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-October-31, 16:03, said:

I don't think 3 shows 6 (what do you do with the same honours 5125 ?), I don't think 4 agrees spades, but may depend if you have a bid for a minor 2 suiter that covers a 5-6/5 13 count (our 2-suited bid is stronger than that).

Thank you for your reply, it was quite helpful. The double dummy results for this hand show that 12 tricks can be made. Do you see some way here of reaching a 6♠️ contract?

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-November-01, 15:20

View PostXenoCat, on 2022-November-01, 13:41, said:

Thank you for your reply, it was quite helpful. The double dummy results for this hand show that 12 tricks can be made. Do you see some way here of reaching a 6♠️ contract?

It gets quite murky.

(2)-3-(P)-3
(P)-4-(P)-

now I feel 4 should be "I either have a club fit or a big spade suit, I have a heart control, slam interest"

S bids 4 to show a partial spade fit and we're off to the races. I'd like to hear others' opinions on the 4 bid.

#8 User is offline   dokoko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding System Design
    Walking my dogs
    2 player Hanabi

Posted 2022-November-11, 12:27

View Postmikeh, on 2022-October-31, 16:59, said:

Other than the reference to the insufficient call of 2H, I agree.

Actually, to me 3H would be either hoping partner can bid 3N (where I am intending to pass) or where I have a good hand with a heart control and a spade fit

Replacing one insufficient bid by another.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users