BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding Question - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Bidding Question

#1 User is offline   tgwall413 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-July-08, 15:34

My partner opens the bidding at ; that tells me she's got at least 4 and 13 points; i've got 13 points, and 5. What should i have bid to let my partner know that i've got all these points? I think i should have bid 2NT or 3.

what should i have bid?

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-July-08, 15:43

You don't need to rush - start with a simple 1 which tells your partner you have 4+ spades and 6+ points. This is a forcing bid, so you can continue to describe your hand in later rounds of the auction.

There are lots of ways the auction can continue. For example, if your partner bids 1NT, the most common convention at lower levels is New minor forcing, where you bid 2 and will find out from partner's response whether you want to be playing in 3NT or 4.

Or if partner continues with 2, then you can bid 2 as Fourth suit forcing and will also find out if partner has 3 spades for you.

But it's never possible to show everything in one bid - keep things simple and allow the auction to develop as you gradually learn more about each others' hands.

#3 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-09, 04:26

If some calls are forcing, it is precisely because they are ambiguous. Sometimes in strength, sometimes in suit length, sometimes on both. A 1S answer to an opening bid can be anything from

QJxx
Kxx
xxx
xxx

(or even worse, depending on partnership’s agreement)

to

AKQJxx
A
KQJx
Ax

Or even more on a good day! Make a small S a small H if you play 1m-2S as strong.

Having made a forcing call, partner owes you to speak (unless opps interfere, of course) and you are sure to have a 2nd word to unveil some more details of your hand.

Sometimes you’ll know enough and can place the contract, sometimes not and you must ask partner’s opinion.

Either via a forcing call (eg you « question » partner, like do you have 3-cd S, do you have a stopper in this suit).

Or via a non forcing call (eg bid game if you are max of what you’ve said so far). In that case, your call is non forcing because you’d have quite precisely and narrowly described your hand.

But with your hand, you already know game has to be bid, most likely 4S or 3NT, although not knowing the rest of your hand, other options might be viable too. Furthermore, if partner shows a additional source of strength, slam could be on too (if her 1D is as large as 12-22).

Last, jumping one or several levels can cause stress on the next bids because you can reach level 3 or 4 with little exchange of information. That is why they should be avoided, unless you have the perfect hand for that, and prefer lower level calls, like 1S with your example hand.

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2022-July-09, 08:19

It would be good to agree with your partner which bids are forcing, new suits are forcing with very few exceptions.
If you look at bidding as a conversation with your partner, you want to leave as much room as possible to find your fit and level. If the bidding goes 1:3 your partner is forced to bid 3nt, 4, or 5 of another suit and you know very little more about their hand.

1:1
Partner had 4, 4+ , now you can bid game or explore slam.

1:1
1nt:2* 2 clubs (new suit) is commonly used as an artificial bid, "new minor forcing" telling partner that we have 5 spades and at least invitational values. Link here New Minor Forcing

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users