BBO Discussion Forums: TCR does not reflect real tounaments - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TCR does not reflect real tounaments

#1 User is offline   finesse157 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-January-01, 12:07

First a RANT...
Upon entering a free (sparkling) tourney, I was rejected by the system as my TCR was too low. I have a BCR of 87% and 94% but my TCR for both users is "unknown"

For user 1 (my normal user), my BCR was 87%, for user 2 (my director login) it was 94%.

However, I cannot see why the rating is so low and my TCR is unknown...
For user 1, I have played in over 80+ Daylongs/Instant tournaments in the last few months. I dropped 1 of them because I lost connection and another because I lost time.
For user 2, I have only ever played as a sub in a the EBU tournaments and cannot recall any other form of play. In fact it has been about a year since I last used this user.

So this makes me think that my play in the casual room has been taken into account! Given that these rooms are a total wild-west, adjusting the TCR for this seems ridiculous. I may leave early as a dummy but I rarely leave as declarer.

If I fail to finish a robot only daylong, i'm the only one that is impacted by this (loss of BBO$) so why would this count to my TCR?

Now my questions
How do the various rooms affect the TCR.
How does the TCR get calculated
How do I get it back up or reset if possible.
Is the min TCR available on the description of the tournament.
Can we see how the TCR is measured?
If I have an "unknown TCR" how do I enter tournaments

I tried this but I was not 100% clear.
https://www.bridgeba...yed%20on%20BBO.

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-January-01, 13:10

View Postfinesse157, on 2022-January-01, 12:07, said:

For user 1, I have played in over 80+ Daylongs/Instant tournaments in the last few months. I dropped 1 of them because I lost connection and another because I lost time.

If I fail to finish a robot only daylong, i'm the only one that is impacted by this (loss of BBO$) so why would this count to my TCR?

Exactly. It doesn't. While the help page says any tournament counts, its only tournaments where you can actually disconnect and that impacts others (with daylongs you can come as go and complete it over a 24 hour period).

Any human tournaments count, and robot duplicates count positively but not negatively. Instant tournaments, daylongs, challenges, and casual play don't count at all.

TCR is the average of your counting tournaments over the last 60 days, or unknown if you've played less than 10 in this period.

Yes, if a tournament requires a min TCR, it's in the description. Not all do.

The easiest way to get it up quickly is to play some (non-instant, non-daylong) robot duplicate tournaments.

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-01, 15:55

View Postfinesse157, on 2022-January-01, 12:07, said:

This is not true. If you pay to enter a robot tournament then you increase the pool of players and increase the masterpoints available.

Your entry fee forms a social contract with the other players that you will complete all boards.
You would not storm out of a FTF tournament because you were beaten by another pair: this is no different. Actual people are involved.

This is true for any tournament where you pay money.
When you withdraw you lose your money and everyone else loses the effect of your participation because the masterpoint pool drops.

Some would say who cares because it's only BBO masterpoints?
But obviously the entrants care or why would they pay in the first place.

When you "rage quit" because you get a bad result all the players in the pool suffer.
Personally it seems like a scam by BBO to me.
If people enter a paid tournament in the good faith belief that the starting pool is the payout pool then it seems unfair that BBO (52 Entertainment) gets to keep your cash and the competitors get bubkas.
Either your money is distributed as a refund to the pool who were duped into believing that the prize available was bigger than it was before you selfishly scarpered, or the masterpoint pool is fixed at the beginning on the basis of the size of the original entrant pool.

If you personally don't care about masterpoints then why pay to enter tournaments?
There are plenty of other opportunities for rage-quitting where your actions only affect you.

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-02, 10:54

You have a valid point, but not one relevant to the current discussion. (you might not have a valid point, as the MP awards may in fact be based on entries, not on finishers. I don't know, I don't play these events).

The key is that whatever issues withdrawing from/failing to finish a daylong may have, it has no bearing on "knowledge of whether a player will stay connected for the 2 hours required to play a tournament with other people." Finishing a daylong (whether in one go or in 8 stretches over 17 hours) also doesn't have reflection on whether the player can and will stay online for the entire tournament time.

Which is what matters for TCR. The only thing that matters for TCR. TCR is a reflection of *your* reliability for the TD, not a reward for you. It gives you zero benefits. If you are demonstrably reliable, there are some tournaments that will let you play that wouldn't if you weren't demonstrably reliable, but again, that's the TDs restriction not your reward. Therefore any measures that don't reflect on "will this person finish my tournament, or am I going to have to do a bunch of work to fill the hole he leaves behind?" should not be used in TCR calculation.

And this comes from someone who has been on BBO since well before TCR was a thing, and who had an "unknown" TCR until May 2020. I just didn't play tournaments online very often, at least not often enough to do 10 in 60 days. I could have, and if it mattered, I would have. I appreciate the change they made a while ago so that now that I have said TCR, I don't need to keep up activity to retain it, just ensure that I continue to finish whichever tournaments I start - because it would have gone back to "unknown" since October, as my BBO play returned to pre-pandemic levels.

I mean, as far as I can remember, I finished every tournament I started, ever. But there wasn't enough confidence to get me a TCR. Which means I was barred from "min TCR" events. Consequences of my own actions.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users