BBO Discussion Forums: Option to block unsolicited private messages - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Option to block unsolicited private messages

#1 User is offline   thesidster 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-December-21, 23:29

Many people have complained on this forum about receiving unsolicited abuse, criticism etc
after a board or tournament. Nothing is done about the abuser/stalker, except the tired
suggestion to block and report.

Reporting achieves nothing, and I do not expect it too. Who has the time to go thru with it ?
I am sure BBO moderators have better things to do with their time.

Blocking is well and good, but does not insulate the receiver from the initial shock of
receiving the message.

So I think BBO can give an option to block unsolicited messages from anyone not a friend
or a admin. Please think about it, it will really make the experience a lot better for
many players.

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-December-22, 10:06

1. Reporting does work. BBO suspends or disables many accounts every day; and I've heard of IP blocks as well for repeat offenders. Note: not BBO employee, I don't know the stats, I do know it happens.

They choose not to publicise it because frankly, 99% of them are throwaway accounts that don't matter, and sometimes the wakeup call (suspension or "try again, with another account, in a week or two") cleans up the problem.

It's the Permanent Pickup Party again. Figure out how to get out of there.

2. Great suggestion. My "unsolicited private comment" is "how strong is your 'invm'? Limit+ or GF?" and now we can't actually play bridge because you don't respond (because you don't see it). I understand that some are much less acceptable. But blocking out everyone for the sake of the few is a really bad idea.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users