West leads 7 against South's 3N. Plan the play

...and so on ...

BBO Skill 15 by Oren Lidor

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-December-04, 05:32

I can't believe E bids 2 on the first one, X looks much more likely.

The key is that on the first 2 the second diamond squeezes E out of his 5th spade, now you can give up a club and a heart, the third you know the diamonds are breaking so can simply concede one.

Top club from hand, diamond to dummy, small heart from dummy (E can't fly the ace without giving you 9 eventually, either he has to pitch a spade allowing you to set up a club entry to cash the hearts, or a heart which allows you to overtake the Q) and the second diamond fixes E, if he pitches a heart or a club you have plenty of tricks, so he pitches a spade, now you play a club in the first 2 cases, a diamond in the 3rd.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-December-04, 07:39

+++++++++++++++++++
Well done, CyberYeti :)

Interesting points:
- On the given 7 lead, 3N seems to make against many distributions.
- Defenders seem to have a better chances if West retains 7

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-24, 21:42

it took me a while to figure out the purpose of this post sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I believe the purpose was to convince everyone that a dia to dummy at trick 2 followed by a LOW heart from dummy at trick 3 (forcing east to duck or we can claim 9) was the best way to get us 9 tricks anytime it was available. Not a 100% line merely the best chance.

#5 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-January-08, 08:37

View Postgszes, on 2021-December-24, 21:42, said:

it took me a while to figure out the purpose of this post sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I believe the purpose was to convince everyone that a dia to dummy at trick 2 followed by a LOW heart from dummy at trick 3 (forcing east to duck or we can claim 9) was the best way to get us 9 tricks anytime it was available. Not a 100% line merely the best chance.

What's wrong with a heart to the queen at trick 2? It seems to be illustrating the well-known maxim of losing the tricks you know you have to lose early and saving guesses until later on.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-08, 08:58

View PostGilithin, on 2022-January-08, 08:37, said:

What's wrong with a heart to the queen at trick 2? It seems to be illustrating the well-known maxim of losing the tricks you know you have to lose early and saving guesses until later on.

This will work on the 3 layouts Nigel gives I think, but may not on some where E doesn't have 4 hearts but does have the ace.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-19, 00:01

View PostGilithin, on 2022-January-08, 08:37, said:

Starting with a low heart to the Q (won by the ace) allows east to clear the spade suit we have only 8 tricks for sure. The only way to make the contract now is to have some sort of squeeze operate. Playing low from dummy at trick 3 forces east to duck (else we have 2s 3h 2c 2d) and when we win in hand all we need is a 32 dia split for 9 tricks (2s 1h 4d 2c) OR some sort of squeeze to work. This is a vastly superior position than the one that is achieved by leading toward the HQ at trick 2. STAY WELL

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users