• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you open, if so what?

#21 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-December-19, 06:03

View PostLovera, on 2021-December-19, 04:39, said:

As much as I try to understand how many want to pass, I must say that I cannot understand them easily. The hand in question has 14 points also counting the shape or, applying Bergen, is in the range 18 + (= is 19) and therefore must be opened but not two weak because these hands cannot be opened if they have a void or four cards in a major suit.
You are, in my opinion, using completely wrong criteria for making this decision. Pass is clear. Opening 1, preempting with 2/3, or calling it a 'tweener' is inaccurate. Whether or not a hand is suitable for a preempt, and whether or not a hand is suitable for a 1-opening, are not measured on the same scales. They are simply different criteria, and it is possible to construct hands that are either, neither or both a 1-opening and a preempt. I think there is no point attempting to use a formula before you are well aware of why that would be the correct aspect of the hand to quantify.

#22 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2021-December-19, 10:38

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-December-19, 06:03, said:

You are, in my opinion, using completely wrong criteria for making this decision. Pass is clear. Opening 1, preempting with 2/3, or calling it a 'tweener' is inaccurate. Whether or not a hand is suitable for a preempt, and whether or not a hand is suitable for a 1-opening, are not measured on the same scales. They are simply different criteria, and it is possible to construct hands that are either, neither or both a 1-opening and a preempt. I think there is no point attempting to use a formula before you are well aware of why that would be the correct aspect of the hand to quantify.

This hand is too much in the middle of the first range of first level openings and I should devalue it too much to declare pass (the facts have confirmed me). Perhaps otherwise (but always considering the context in which a speech is placed) we could consider what you said if the hand was at the limit between an opening or not so there would not be too much to regret if you were to make the wrong choice.

#23 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-19, 15:43

View PostLovera, on 2021-December-19, 04:39, said:

As much as I try to understand how many want to pass, I must say that I cannot understand them easily. The hand in question has 14 points also counting the shape or, applying Bergen, is in the range 18 + (= is 19) and therefore must be opened but not two weak because these hands cannot be opened if they have a void or four cards in a major suit. Moreover, the fact that S has passed makes it clear that the overall strength is distributed among the other three players and therefore we can also envisage a possible defense in the event that N has a hand so strong as to compensate for the weakness of the partner, which is perhaps less probable. These indications should prompt us to bid 1 . It would also be useful to see how the other players expressed themselves at the table, even if the final result leads to say that here they have achieved the aim of stopping the auction at 3 with a good score for them.

S has NOT passed: I'm sure he would, but not W who has a better hand than this irritating mess which I think you overvalue a bit.

As always, an early hand diagram including the auction would simplify discussion.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users