BBO Discussion Forums: Scoring a Sit Out Round - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scoring a Sit Out Round Does a pair get 50% for the sit out or their average for the session?

#1 User is offline   synergy_3 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-October-07, 23:44

Hi,

I've tried quite hard to find the answer to this question by googling it but with surprisingly no success. Any help would be appreciated.
When a pair has a sit out, do they get an average for the board (i.e 50%) or their average for the whole session (i.e in effect their final percentage is worked out by dividing by the total number of match points available on the boards they actually played)?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Bishop

#2 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-08, 00:15

View Postsynergy_3, on 2021-October-07, 23:44, said:

I've tried quite hard to find the answer to this question by googling it but with surprisingly no success. Any help would be appreciated.
When a pair has a sit out, do they get an average for the board (i.e 50%) or their average for the whole session (i.e in effect their final percentage is worked out by dividing by the total number of match points available on the boards they actually played)?

Their sitout boards should have no impact on their session average, so their final percentage should be calculated the way you describe. I haven't seen any results calculated using the first option, but that doesn't mean it never happens.

#3 User is offline   synergy_3 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-October-08, 00:54

View Postsfi, on 2021-October-08, 00:15, said:

Their sitout boards should have no impact on their session average, so their final percentage should be calculated the way you describe. I haven't seen any results calculated using the first option, but that doesn't mean it never happens.

Thanks for your reply. I notice at my bridge club the sit outs are given 50% which I feel is not as fair as giving an average of their score for the whole session. If you're averaging over 50% then your overall percentage will be brought down. And if less than 50%, you're overall is brought up.

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-October-08, 03:16

Sit-out pairs should not get 50% for the boards they don't play, those boards do not count at all, their score is calculated only over the boards they do play. This can mean in some movements that some pairs play more boards than others, and so each board contributes slightly less to the final result.

#5 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-08, 04:34

View Postsynergy_3, on 2021-October-08, 00:54, said:

Thanks for your reply. I notice at my bridge club the sit outs are given 50% which I feel is not as fair as giving an average of their score for the whole session. If you're averaging over 50% then your overall percentage will be brought down. And if less than 50%, you're overall is brought up.

In short, you are right and they are wrong. If you know a trusted director they might listen to, it would be worth asking the director to have a word with the club.

#6 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-October-08, 05:05

The only time I can think of where it is appropriate to give an artificial score is in the case of a board not completed within the time limit and one pair was the cause of the slow play.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-08, 09:04

It depends on how it is scored, but if the game is designed with a sitout, then the people playing (for instance) 22 boards are "factored up" to the 24 that pairs without a sitout have. In addition, any boards that are not played as often as others are factored up to the shared top before summation (in BBO, everything is converted to Percentage, which is effectively the same. If you actually care about the difference, "Neuberg formula" is your search term).

So (most often) your second. It's not fair for someone with a 60% game to get two 50%s for the sitout; it's not fair for someone with a 40% game to get two "bonus" 50%s to not play either.

If a board that was intended to be played could not for some reason not at all the fault of one pair, they should get A+ (60% or their score, whichever is higher).

In the WBF, round robins with a bye are scored 12-0. Because all teams in the RR will eventually have a bye, it doesn't matter what score is there; 12 is just a "reasonable" result that doesn't excessively distort the round-by-round results.

Again, it's up to the organizer. But this is standard.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-October-10, 13:07

The sit-out boards simply don't count in the results.

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-10, 17:59

Law 12A starts "On the application of a player within the period established under Law 92B or on his own initiative the Director may award an adjusted score when these Laws empower him to do so (in team play see Law 86B)." The laws do not empower the director to award an adjusted score for a board which a contestant (pair in a pair contest) was not scheduled to play.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users