BBO Discussion Forums: Login problem: BBO cannot open critical file - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Login problem: BBO cannot open critical file Cannot get logged in

#1 User is offline   Derrygirl2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-October-01, 11:38

I cannot get logged in to BBO today, nor can my playing partner who is in a different house and using a Windows computer. We are both getting a message when to try to login which says that BBO cannot open a critical file and to check our internet connection. My internet connection is fine. There seems to be a problem with BBO. I am using an iMac computer and Google chrome. Can anyone please help?

#2 User is offline   arancinact 

• Pip

Posted 2021-October-01, 13:21

I have same issue with my ipad. Even worst it seems that now the apps is no more compatible with ipad

#3 User is offline   sdwino 

• Pip

Posted 2021-October-01, 13:43

View PostDerrygirl2, on 2021-October-01, 11:38, said:

I cannot get logged in to BBO today, nor can my playing partner who is in a different house and using a Windows computer. We are both getting a message when to try to login which says that BBO cannot open a critical file and to check our internet connection. My internet connection is fine. There seems to be a problem with BBO. I am using an iMac computer and Google chrome. Can anyone please help?

I am having same problem now - don't know what to do -- anybody have an idea?

#4 User is offline   garland xx 

• Pip

Posted 2021-October-01, 21:42

View PostDerrygirl2, on 2021-October-01, 11:38, said:

I'm having this same exact problem. It seems like there may an issue with BBOs security certificate having expired?

#5 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-October-02, 00:24

There has been a change on the internet with something to do with security certificates. Basically it boils down, I think, to the fact that very old systems will no longer be able to access a lot of sites.

#6 User is offline   Derrygirl2 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-October-02, 03:16

Update:

I emailed BBO support and got this reply today

Thank you for contacting BBO.

We want to inform you that after reviewed your report, we find out that the cause is related to an expired root certificate used by our SSL service.
A root SSL certificate error occurs when a web browser can’t verify the certificate installed on a site. Rather than connect you, your browser will display an error message, warning you that the site may be insecure/not accessible. This might happened if you are using an old operative system or device.

In order to access normally to BBO (or to any other site where you see these type of message/error) you can:

• Try login from Firefox,
• Add bridgebase.com as trusted site under your browser settings
• Update your current operative system,

In case you have questions about how to perform any of these steps, or in case you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

#7 User is offline   vEBU201789 

• Pip

Posted 2021-October-03, 07:18

As BBO says, this is a security certificate issue. However, it has nothing to do with out-of-date computers, operating systems or web browsers. It is the BBO security certificate that is out-of-date. My (up-to-date) Kaspersky security software is blocking access to BBO from my up-to-date Edge browser running on up-to-date Windows 10. I haven't found a way of releasing the block and I'm not prepared to disable my anti-virus protection. Fortunately I haven't allowed Kaspersky to install plugins for the Chrome browser, so I can get to BBO using that instead. But BBO needs to sort out its security certificate quickly.

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-October-03, 07:38

The problem started on September 30 and like our Support team explained, it is not related to BBO's security certificate being expired. A root certificate expired, but not on BBO's side and its affecting many sites.

For the more tech inclined, details are here: https://letsencrypt....september-2021/

But you can google or look on social media and you will find the internet is boiling over this problem.

#9 User is offline   undoubling 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-October-03, 19:33

Just in case it was missed:
A notification of "root security certificate" expiration was issued BY the "root security certificate" SUPPLIER. This notification DID NOT provide ANY "work around" process. AND this certificate was (most likely) applicable to OLDER Microsoft OS's!!
Specifically NON-CURRENT OS's (including NON-updated Win 10 os's).
Corrective action (by user) incudes ensuring your OS IS Win-10 (or 11) AND updated to current version. Otherwise, you can try to access BBO using another browser---------WITHOUT any guarantee of success. This certificate is subject to EOL criteria.

#10 User is offline   patcanuck 

• PipPip

Posted 2021-October-03, 21:08

If you are a mac user and do some searching you'll find a fairly easy method of updating and installing the security certificate on your computer especially relating to the use of Safari.

#11 User is offline   ADKQueen 

• Pip

Posted 2021-October-03, 23:53

I am trying to help a friend who has the same problem. She played on iPad for months and then since Friday got message " cannot load critical file etc". Deleted the app and when I tried to reinstall it got message "App not compatible with this device".
Bought a new tablet, could play for a day and now the same problem "cannot load critical file" etc.
What is going on?

#12 User is offline   Cathrynt 

• Pip

Posted 2021-October-13, 14:11

Has anyone managed to download the certificate to an IPAD - I have searched and cannot find a way to download the certificate Ipad is on version 9.3.5 would appreciate help

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-October-13, 14:32

View PostCathrynt, on 2021-October-13, 14:11, said:

Has anyone managed to download the certificate to an IPAD - I have searched and cannot find a way to download the certificate Ipad is on version 9.3.5 would appreciate help

I don't think it's possible. Here's a thread on the Apple discussion forum:

https://discussions....hread/253219776

#14 User is offline   Cathrynt 

• Pip

Posted 2021-October-15, 10:42

As you know, on 30 September 2021, an old SSL root certificate expired, preventing players from running the BBO App on older iPhones/iPads.

Note that this issue is not unique to BBO, it also affects other 260 million apps and websites that use Let’s Encrypt certificates.

To run the BBO App normally on an old Apple device, you’ll need to install a new Let’s Encrypt SSL root certificate. Luckily, it is quite easy to do so:

• Visit https://letsencrypt..../isrgrootx1.pem using Safari on your iOS 9 device, to automatically install the new certificate (note: Safari only!)
• When Safari downloads the certificate, it will recognize it as a configuration profile and open it in the Settings app
• From there you just push Install, enter your passcode, push Install again, and push Install a third time on the dialog that pops up.

BBO App should run normally after installing the certificate.

Note: If you deleted the BBO app, click on PURCHASED entry at the bottom menu (AppStore), and search for “BBO” there. AppStore will install a BBO app version compatible with iOS 9.
I got this from BBO support who have been very proactive in trying toi help me gain access on my IPAD .
I dod hte above and it did not work - still had same probelm -
However after installing the new root above . I then went to the Ap store - when I tried BBO for IPAD I could not access it but I also had the option to go to the Iphone AP . Under I phone Ap I was able to reload BBO on the IPAD and its working !! - this might help others . Goood luck

#15 User is offline   shubhgriha 

• Pip

Posted 2022-April-02, 00:16

Thank you so much...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users