Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Find a "compatible" partner How to play with someone sharing the same system

#1 User is offline   felix31 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-21, 03:10

It is very difficult (and not very interesting) to play with someone having no profile or using a very different bidding system or with a very different skill level.
For instance, I play SEF and the only solution I've found so far is to set manually as "friends" all "advanced" or "intermediate" French people I can find.
As a consequence I have hundreds of friends (even if they don't know it) :rolleyes:
Would it be possible to add in BBO a search function allowing to select tables where "compatible" partners would be available ?
Search keys could be a AND of several parameters (country, level, system,conventions,...)

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-21, 13:37

And how do you rate me?

"Mexican or Canadian, depending"
"can play SA of sorts, 2/1 of sorts (Calgary style or Toronto style), three or four Precision variants, but today I'm playing EHAA drunk with my old university partner."
"Expects to scratch in A, but not in a National event, unless I'm distracted or drunk"

The compatibility stars is awful, but it's better than nothing.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-21, 17:04

I have a similar problem. However what makes it difficult is not finding someone at a similar level of understanding of bridge but to be the same kind of person regarding style and phiosophy towards essentially everything,. Not an identical player - part of whats important is that they have to be as individualistic as me but also somewhat tolerant of other's individuality etc etc But of course they also have to be as individualistic and determined and competent to get to the right contract most of the time - however we get there :) I don't care as much about defence but a few very basic obvious defensive skills and hopefully an attacking frame of mind etc

#4 User is offline   felix31 

• Pip

Posted 2020-October-22, 02:20

View Postmycroft, on 2020-October-21, 13:37, said:

And how do you rate me?

"Mexican or Canadian, depending"
"can play SA of sorts, 2/1 of sorts (Calgary style or Toronto style), three or four Precision variants, but today I'm playing EHAA drunk with my old university partner."
"Expects to scratch in A, but not in a National event, unless I'm distracted or drunk"

The compatibility stars is awful, but it's better than nothing.

Maybe I've been misunderstood.
Actually my only concern is to be able to interpret my partner play, i.e. bids and signalisation (as far as possible with just a few indications in the profiles).
I just know the French system (SEF) and not SAYC, ACOL, 2/1, etc ... so that's why I prefer to play with people using this system.
Nationality is not at all a problem but factually most people playing SEF are French.
Regarding the skill level, this not very important for me but some people care about that (i.e. table reserved for "expert or advanced" only).
As far I am concerned I just want to not annoy good players (e.g. expert) with my mistakes.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-22, 12:45

I'm being a bit flippant, I'm sorry.

It's just that what you're asking for is incredibly difficult. It is difficult enough to create a ELO-style rating for individuals in a pair-based game, and it is difficult to convince people they aren't as good as they think they are (since they've been in this "masterpoint increase" mode forever, as opposed to "ELO from day 1". There's a joke that "90% of bridge players are better than their partners", says poll). Everyone wants someone at the table slightly better than themselves ("as good as themselves") as a partner, against opponents that are slightly worse. Obviously, that can't happen either.

Yes, the perennial pickup pool is a problem, and I've offered suggestions about this before. The problem is that a compatible partner is much more than just system and "level", even if you can define level sanely. It's style ("are you going to need your blood pressure pills when I drop QTxxxx for my weak 2, or will it be 'nice to see you actually have your bid for a change', or somewhere in the middle?" "are we reading defence the same way?" "Are there other ways to look for slam than Blackwood?"), temperament ("Are you going to snipe at me for every mistake you see at the table? If not, are we going to discuss things after the game? Or is it just 'only things I don't understand that we need to agree on' that is discussed, everything else is just 'play is fun, not work'?"), speed of play (or not),...

I agree that if you're looking specifically for SEF players, you want to look for French tables. That you can do. If you were looking for Precision partners, that would be a whole different world, or if it was important (say, in my case) that the table language was Spanish, then there are other issues (I may live in México part time, doesn't mean my Spanish is good enough for bridge!)

There is also the "I'm this good, unless I'm just blowing off steam, then I'm this good, unless the kids are clambering all over, in which case I'm this good..." problem.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2021-December-20, 03:52

View Postfelix31, on 2020-October-22, 02:20, said:

Maybe I've been misunderstood.
Actually my only concern is to be able to interpret my partner play, i.e. bids and signalisation (as far as possible with just a few indications in the profiles).
I just know the French system (SEF) and not SAYC, ACOL, 2/1, etc ... so that's why I prefer to play with people using this system.
Nationality is not at all a problem but factually most people playing SEF are French.
Regarding the skill level, this not very important for me but some people care about that (i.e. table reserved for "expert or advanced" only).
As far I am concerned I just want to not annoy good players (e.g. expert) with my mistakes.

I think this problem of finding a partner who plays the same bidding system as you, can be temporarily solved in this way:the search box currently serves to find players by Nickname / Surname via profile. Now if the system name in brackets (i.e. SEF/Precision/ACOL) were also added, the search would find all those who indicated (SEF) reading it as Nickname / Surname. All this one could be organized by inserting an informatica "field" close the Nickname where you can also enter your preferred system, which already happens when you create the account for the BBO Forum (see the Previous Field space). This is my idea but we must keep in mind if it is feasible by BBO otherwise each player should provide for the insertion independently to facilitate the search as already indicated by me.(Lovera)

#7 User is offline   Estpark2 

• Pip

Posted 2021-December-24, 11:12

I think it would be a good idea if software picked up words like Stupid play criticism of your partiner

#8 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-19, 00:08

View PostEstpark2, on 2021-December-24, 11:12, said:

I think it would be a good idea if software picked up words like Stupid play criticism of your partiner

What should said feature do. I deal with such comments myself

I'm thinking of options. Kick you off the table. Open a trapdoor. What did you have in mind?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users