• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB if any Both sides unhappy

#21 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-January-09, 07:54

NS missing the low % 4s does not bother me a whit but the blame for missing 3n EW lie squarely with E. Given the bidding, The east hand should evaluate closer to 12 rather than a measley 7 and it evaluates as closer to 15 (5 tricks) if W does NOT have the dia K since the finesse looks to be a huge favorite. Bidding the hand as if it was xxx xxx xxxx xxx does no justice to this holding. I would not go so far as to bid 2h (those with more courage than I might feel compelled) but feel strongly that 3d is the proper bid. A max 2d bid would look more like JTx xx AQxx xxxx.

#22 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-January-09, 13:08

If I were East I would overcall 2, it is such a good space stealing bid, and green v red.
As South I play weak jump shifts and this is perfect so 2
West has been hoist by his choice of x. He must bid 2N over 2 I would grade my hand as 18 and bid 1N 15-18 bal if available
I think East may be worth 3

#23 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-09, 13:29

North opens 1 indicating 11+ HCP and 5+ East thinks I don't have much and I'm not a robot. I only have one chance to get into this auction 3! If South has any points South will happily bid over that call, if not, then nothing lost. South with nothing to say passes. West with 19 HCP (20 total) the K and the K hearts happily bids 3NT. Double-Dummy on GIB shows that this makes on any lead by North. This is a great example of a preemptive gambling 3NT: Thank you.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2020-January-08, 07:40, said:

2+1 EW+110

EW were unhappy about being talked out of 3N, S was unhappy since 4 was on.

Non legit hoc

#24 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-09, 14:32

Lots of stuff going on here. Probably you play ACOL, which I am not at all familiar with; I'll assume a standard 2/1 system.

1. 1H and 1S look normal enough, provided that you don't play WJS.

2. West has a tough call at his first turn. I like 1NT. The fact W has 19, rather than 18, is offset by the fact that his major suit holdings aren't worth their full weight. If you X, you will have a very difficult time on the next round (3C overstaes the offensive strength of the hand). The other alternative, a really heavy 2C bid, isn't nearly as insane as it looks, but every now and then, you'll miss a good game.

3. After the X, North needs to bid something. If his partner has a long spade suit, his hand is enormous. The best action is a support XX. If you don't play support X and XX's, start playing them. They are essential to accurate bidding. If I didn't have a support double available here, I'd bid 2S.

4. Given the actual bidding, East's 2D call is fine. It's close to a 3D bid, but I think 2D followed by 3D on the next round shows the hand properly.

5. South can't do anything over 2D. He showed his hand with 1S. 2S here would show a better hand.

6. West is now stuck. This is why you don't X on round 1. Yes, West can bid 3C, but that overstates his hand. If East is broke (quite likely), he may be in negative score (maybe Xed) territory. If East has a little something, E-W will likely get too high. Conversely, passing 2D risks missing game if East has the right cards. This is why a 1NT call on the first round is a bit better. Now East can invite a NT game, which W is happy to accept. The Qc is in the slot, so ....

Cheers,
Mike

#25 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-09, 14:55

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-January-09, 13:29, said:

North opens 1 indicating 11+ HCP and 5+ East thinks I don't have much and I'm not a robot. I only have one chance to get into this auction 3! If South has any points South will happily bid over that call, if not, then nothing lost. South with nothing to say passes. West with 19 HCP (20 total) the K and the K hearts happily bids 3NT. Double-Dummy on GIB shows that this makes on any lead by North. This is a great example of a preemptive gambling 3NT: Thank you.

We'd bid 3, the problem is that at these colours 3 could easily be Qxxxxx an out so 3N is far from routine

To Miamijd: yes we play acol, the opener shows 5 unless it's a 3433 or 44(32) 15+, no support xx

#26 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-09, 14:59

Everyone gets a shot on this one. After 1 Pass 1
1 NT seems right but with some partners 2 might show a pretty decent hand. But after the double advancer should bid 3 showing a good suit and interest whether intervenor has a minor suit hand or quite likely a hand too strong for 1 NT.

As for North-South 1 does not appeal- either 2 or pass seems better. But on the actual auction North should raise to 2 mostly to show 3 and clog the auction. Support double might be possible but do you really want to encourage partner that much yet?

You pays your money and takes your chances.

#27 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-09, 16:45

oportet quod sit aliqua veritas
Non legit hoc

#28 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-January-09, 16:47

View PostdsLawsd, on 2020-January-09, 14:59, said:

Everyone gets a shot on this one. After 1 Pass 1
1 NT seems right but with some partners 2 might show a pretty decent hand. But after the double advancer should bid 3 showing a good suit and interest whether intervenor has a minor suit hand or quite likely a hand too strong for 1 NT.

As for North-South 1 does not appeal- either 2 or pass seems better. But on the actual auction North should raise to 2 mostly to show 3 and clog the auction. Support double might be possible but do you really want to encourage partner that much yet?

You pays your money and takes your chances.

As pointed out earlier, 2 is not available (SJS being played)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users