• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prime One Q of many

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-December-19, 14:42

Playing saved deals, I will tell you my failed plan

Partner and I had no close agreements. He opened 1NT and with 2=1=5=5 shape, and just barely gf values I decided to bid 3NT, not being sure just what meant what with our lack of agreements. It worked out fine. Later, in discussion, I said that the bots play 2S as MSS and I thought that at a bot table the auction would go 1NT - 2S - 3D - 3H - 3NT. pard was 3=4=4=2 and so would respond 3D, As I play MSS the 3H shows a stiff heart, and the 3NT call by opener, well stocked in the majors, was natural,

I decided to use Prime to see if the bots would actually bid as I predicted. I saved the hand in a folder, set up an invisible table and went to deal source. to use that folder. Nope. I had three choices for Source.: Random Deals, Random Vugraph deals, or a specific Vugraph match.

To do what I wanted, I would have to get out of Prime, go to a regular practices session, select a folder as a deal source (I can do it there) and play a buck to rent a robot.

I am dropping this note just to be sure that this is what is intended.

While I am here, I also not that I no longer seem to be able to re-name a folder or to start a new folder, either in Prime or in the general area. Probably I just haven't figured it out yet. Things were easier before the improvements.
Ken

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2019-December-19, 21:40

In the main room you get the same choices for deal sources;
Only in practise/teaching can you use saved games
This may be a feature.
<ed.>i didn't see you can set up teaching table in Prime
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-December-20, 06:44

@Ken you could have done that in the Prime Club too.

Start a table and you can choose what type of table it is. Choose Teaching or Bidding to be able to use your own deals.

Here's a screenshot to show you where to select the table type: https://imgur.com/a/hPy7p7m

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2019-December-21, 08:12

I hope I cn put this in a helpful way.
I am having a great deal of trouble adjusting to some of the changes in BBO. I am 80, an age where even those of us who do not have dementia have frequent troubles with tech matters, but I am not sure it is all me.

I saw how to start a teaching table in Prime even w/o the link, I said use saved deals, I clicked select, I opened the table, I seated the rpbots, they played one hand. I could not get the system to go on to the next hand.

So I tried your link. There is a lot of stuff with ads, I clumsily hit a key that opened Rocket Bridge Brand LP. Ok, I have to be careful, got that. But I could not fin aything there that said how to get then to go on to the next hand. Also, while they were playing that hand, there was a claim button. I claimed 2 tricks, or so I intended, and clicked on the claim, it ignored me and finished the hand. And I could not get it to go on to the next hand.

I'll try to explain the sort of problems I have with technology. From conversations I can say with confidence many others have these problems as well. I have helped people, some my age, some younger, through some of these. So I am not as bad off as some.So here is an example:

A while back I had to re-do my router set-up, I don't recall why. I learned what I was supposed to do, a sequence of steps that, with effort, OI could decipher. Nope. So I called the company.. One of the steps, where I was to push a button, should have said "Push this button and keep it depressed for 5 seconds".Ah yes, I should have known that!

Relevance to BBO? Well, I used to be able to make new folders and re-name existing folders. Now I can't. No doubt there is some (metaphorical) button that I should depress and hold for 5 seconds. I haven't found it.

Technology often has these "easy when you know how" features.

Again let me say that I am trying to be helpful. BBO is a real asset to the game and to the world. But lately I have been finding some frustrations.
Ken

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-21, 13:08

View Postkenberg, on 2019-December-21, 08:12, said:

I hope I cn put this in a helpful way.
I am having a great deal of trouble adjusting to some of the changes in BBO. I am 80, an age where even those of us who do not have dementia have frequent troubles with tech matters, but I am not sure it is all me.

I saw how to start a teaching table in Prime even w/o the link, I said use saved deals, I clicked select, I opened the table, I seated the rpbots, they played one hand. I could not get the system to go on to the next hand.

So I tried your link. There is a lot of stuff with ads, I clumsily hit a key that opened Rocket Bridge Brand LP. Ok, I have to be careful, got that. But I could not fin aything there that said how to get then to go on to the next hand. Also, while they were playing that hand, there was a claim button. I claimed 2 tricks, or so I intended, and clicked on the claim, it ignored me and finished the hand. And I could not get it to go on to the next hand.

I'll try to explain the sort of problems I have with technology. From conversations I can say with confidence many others have these problems as well. I have helped people, some my age, some younger, through some of these. So I am not as bad off as some.So here is an example:

A while back I had to re-do my router set-up, I don't recall why. I learned what I was supposed to do, a sequence of steps that, with effort, OI could decipher. Nope. So I called the company.. One of the steps, where I was to push a button, should have said "Push this button and keep it depressed for 5 seconds".Ah yes, I should have known that!

Relevance to BBO? Well, I used to be able to make new folders and re-name existing folders. Now I can't. No doubt there is some (metaphorical) button that I should depress and hold for 5 seconds. I haven't found it.

Technology often has these "easy when you know how" features.

Again let me say that I am trying to be helpful. BBO is a real asset to the game and to the world. But lately I have been finding some frustrations.

Hi Ken,

I'm not sure what system you are using now, sorry. I assumed if you were able to do what you needed at a practice table, once you get the practice table started in the Prime Bridge club you're all set.

So in order to deal the next hand at a teaching table, you need to click the blue rectangle with three lines at the top left corner of the table, and choose Redeal. This deals the next hand to the table.

We're aware that hiding settings in that "hamburger" menu is not intuitive on desktop and we'll improve the layout.

As for naming folders or creating new ones, there are some icons that are specific mostly to mobile so might not be very intuitive on desktop: a little pencil icon means Edit, and it allows you to change the folder name (you then click the icon that looks like a validation sign to confirm your changes). To create a new folder, click the + sign at the top of the list of folders.

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2019-December-21, 21:43

Thanks, I am getting the hang of it, but only sort of.

For my purposes the following was the best route: I started a teaching table and then I opened the hand that had been played. Using Export, there is an option to Upload Deal to Table. My post was about how to use the software but people might find the hands interesting, and anyway the bots are software.

S 86
H 5
D A5432
C KJ542

S AK2
H KJ73
D Q987
C A8

I let the bots play it. They play 1NT - 2 S as minor suit stayman, and it went 1NT - 2 S - 3 D- 4 D - 5 D . Off 2.
I then let the bots play again but forced a shortness showing 3 H over 3 D. with the auction now going 1 NT - 2 S - 3 D -3H-(X) - 3NT. Again off 2.
I then imposed the simple auction 1NT -3NT. This time the bot brought in the contract. But the opening lead was the S 7 from JT7. Bots, as we know, do not like 4th best leads.

Anyway, it's fun to be able to do this. As is so often the case with technology, it's obvious how to do it once you learn how to do it.

There are things I would like to do that as near as I can tell I can't do.Or I have not yet learned to do.
Ken

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-22, 11:23

View Postkenberg, on 2019-December-21, 21:43, said:

Thanks, I am getting the hang of it, but only sort of.
For my purposes the following was the best route: I started a teaching table and then I opened the hand that had been played. Using Export, there is an option to Upload Deal to Table.
<snip>

Yep, that's the simplest way to replay a hand or give it to the bots. You can grab the hand from History > Recent hands (or Tournaments) directly.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users