• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To Brexit

#261 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-April-26, 22:27

View Postthepossum, on 2023-March-09, 17:48, said:

Are there any Brexit supporters here - or any prepared to own up - many who dislike the EU though possibly, and bureaucratic excesses

There are many, several of whom have actively posted misinformation about the EU at various times. The vast majority of populist stories regarding EU bureaucratic excess are actually either taken out of context or completely false when you look into them a little deeper than the typical tabloid headline. Sadly these stories are so widely spread that the majority of people think they are true. That is particularly true for the low-skilled, low educated sector that made up such a large portion of the Yes vote after having been manipulated with various lies and other underhanded schemes. I remain deeply ashamed and embarrassed about my countrymen for having ripped up one of the most favourable international trade agreements in the world and replaced it with xenophobic chaos.

#262 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-April-27, 00:44

View PostGilithin, on 2023-April-26, 22:27, said:

There are many, several of whom have actively posted misinformation about the EU at various times. The vast majority of populist stories regarding EU bureaucratic excess are actually either taken out of context or completely false when you look into them a little deeper than the typical tabloid headline. Sadly these stories are so widely spread that the majority of people think they are true. That is particularly true for the low-skilled, low educated sector that made up such a large portion of the Yes vote after having been manipulated with various lies and other underhanded schemes. I remain deeply ashamed and embarrassed about my countrymen for having ripped up one of the most favourable international trade agreements in the world and replaced it with xenophobic chaos.

A strange defence of a non-existent attack. My post needed to be dredge up did it. I think you will it is the educated who hate bureaucratic excess as much if not more - lets say anyone on the receiving end with a brain - that's a lot of people - educated or not

I also find it strange that allegedly I posted that in 10 March this year. It seems wrong to me. What was the context. I can't be bothered to check. Maybe I was just having a bad day

#263 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-April-28, 21:34

View Postthepossum, on 2023-April-27, 00:44, said:

A strange defence of a non-existent attack. My post needed to be dredge up did it. I think you will it is the educated who hate bureaucratic excess as much if not more - lets say anyone on the receiving end with a brain - that's a lot of people - educated or not

I also find it strange that allegedly I posted that in 10 March this year. It seems wrong to me. What was the context. I can't be bothered to check. Maybe I was just having a bad day

Since the Roman empire (and probably even much earlier) educated elites have used and manipulated "uneducated masses". There is nothing inherently different about the way the Brexit movement was spread. I cannot speak to your mindset or day when you wrote the post. But I do not read every WC thread immediately and simply responded after reading this one - no dredging required.

#264 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-14, 04:13

I don't like to be the first to raise it but the engineer of the Brexit schmozzle is now the UK Foreign Secretary
I reckon that is cruel

#265 User is online   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-14, 04:24

View PostGilithin, on 2023-April-28, 21:34, said:

Since the Roman empire (and probably even much earlier) educated elites have used and manipulated "uneducated masses". There is nothing inherently different about the way the Brexit movement was spread. I cannot speak to your mindset or day when you wrote the post. But I do not read every WC thread immediately and simply responded after reading this one - no dredging required.

Oh no. Just noticed an ancient response to something I wrote

Will get back to you :)

My defence is that I do not expect anything I say to be worthy of response

To me it looks like we are both responding to ancient dredged up replies to each other

But usually I stand by whatever I said

What is really sad is that my comment about Lord Cameron is now lost

Note to self. If I don't want something to pass lets not base it on 50.000000000001 %

I should not say things like the people get what they vote for

My biggest annoyance about Brexit is the sheer stupdity and inconvenience of it all

With my Australian passport I used to breeze around Europe but now have to mingle with UK passport holders - hardly anyone in the EU line
- maybe that could be fixed by EU countries. Just put UK people in their own line

#266 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-14, 05:46

Cameron returning is a sad comment on the lack of talent at the top of British politics, he has more talent than most if not all of the shadow cabinet too.

#267 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-14, 07:46

His primary qualification is that he is now available because of the Greensill scandal.

I think Britain has plenty of talent but in a climate where you had to be loyal to either Corbyn or Johnson to get anywhere, it is understandable that the more talented rats left the sinking ship.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users