BBO Discussion Forums: continuations after 1c-1d-2nt, yet another slam off two aces - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

continuations after 1c-1d-2nt, yet another slam off two aces

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-09, 15:08

Improvements I think they ought to look into:
  • Should 3D show only 6+ HCP? Maybe it should be like 10+ and clearly a slam try.
  • Should 3H be prioritized over 3D, holding 4cd M, if South is programmed to bypass M to bid 2nt? Granted it's hard to construct a hand for slam that really wants to be in hearts vs. diamonds so maybe it is right to ignore H on this hand. But that seems a judgment call and the rule should be to show the shape? It can always bid 4d as a slam try later IMO.
  • Why when I bid 3nt it says 19HCP? Why can I no longer have 18 HCP? And when I bid 5d it shows 19+HCP??
  • If it wants to splinter fine, but then should respect the signoff? If want to force to slam should have at least Gerbered over 2nt? GIB notorious for not knowing how to continue after splinters, bidding 3nt with inadequate stoppers, or Axx holdings good for slam, and no real evaluation skills if partner declines or cooperates after the spl. Signoff should maybe be assumed to be KQxx in the splinter suit or whatever so it doesn't get optimistic.

#2 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-09, 15:57

It rebids diamonds instead of its four card heart suit when you could still have four hearts but bids hearts when you've denied holding four.

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-09, 16:28

View Postwbartley, on 2018-June-09, 15:57, said:

It rebids diamonds instead of its four card heart suit when you could still have four hearts but bids hearts when you've denied holding four.

Very clever programming for GIB although some would call it diabolical.

#4 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 10:09

View Postjohnu, on 2018-June-09, 16:28, said:

Very clever programming for GIB although some would call it diabolical.

this seems similar to smerriman's simulations on a slightly different hand. The probability of 2 keycards missing must be about 10% +- so GUBBO goes for it.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 10:38

Yeah, but:- missing 2 keycds is higher% with 18HCP rather than 19HCP, which for some weird reason it is eliminating after 3nt- it had the opportunity to check, and should utilize it if possible when it intends to force slam.
- if it is bypassing the check in order to spl, which is reasonable, it needs to respect the signoff. Problem is GIB doesn't know how to bid/evaluate after splinters at all. The signoff should boost my holding of CKQ significantly and increase significantly chances missing 2 keycards. But the simulations almost certainly don't take that into account. Pass should be default after spl + signoff, and sims turned off, unless holding massive extra values, and many of those should not spl in first place.

#6 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-11, 11:39

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-June-11, 10:38, said:

Yeah, but:- missing 2 keycds is higher% with 18HCP rather than 19HCP, which for some weird reason it is eliminating after 3nt- it had the opportunity to check, and should utilize it if possible when it intends to force slam.
- if it is bypassing the check in order to spl, which is reasonable, it needs to respect the signoff. Problem is GIB doesn't know how to bid/evaluate after splinters at all. The signoff should boost my holding of CKQ significantly and increase significantly chances missing 2 keycards. But the simulations almost certainly don't take that into account. Pass should be default after spl + signoff, and sims turned off, unless holding massive extra values, and many of those should not spl in first place.

agreee. question is who shall bell the cat? :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users