BBO Discussion Forums: bidding 2NT in a non jump sequence - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bidding 2NT in a non jump sequence Advice reauested to resolve a bidding problem

#1 User is offline   jenten 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-May-31, 15:39

Bidding sequence (all not vulnerable and playing SAYC with 15/17 NT) .

N. 1H
E. Pass
S. 2D
W. 2S
N. 2NT >>>> Question Assuming definite stopper in spades, how many points (aproximately) should North have ?

Jenten

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-31, 15:59

Not completely familiar w/ SAYC but considering it is a 5CM system, could be 15-17 (with 5H that couldn’t be opened 1NT therefore) with (double) stopper.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-31, 16:08

View Postjenten, on 2018-May-31, 15:39, said:

N. 1H
E. Pass
S. 2D
W. 2S
N. 2NT >>>> Question Assuming definite stopper in spades, how many points (aproximately) should North have ?

Jenten

If pd responded at 1 level (1 instead of 2 as in your case), 2 NT would show 18-19.

In your example 2 NT can be played different of course. It needs agreement and I am aware this is cliche sentence, however, this is one of those things that any agreement is better than no agreement. The reason I can not give you a certain answer is, I need to know
  • What would DBL be in your agreements?
  • What would pass show or deny in your agreements?
  • What would 3 NT show in your agreements?
  • Do you open 1 NT with 5 card majors?

The way I play it, DBL would be penalty oriented (short diamonds and some spades) Pass would show minimum hands and nothing special to show. Pass followed by NT later would show min balanced hands with stopper(s). What is left behind are

-15-17 unbalanced hands with or without stoppers that was not good to open 1 NT.
-18-19 balanced hands
-Some 3 card fit hands
-6 card suit.
-Some shapely hands with side clubs

when I look at these hand types, and due to the fact that if we end up playing NT, my 2 NT now is grabbing it from my side, it is not an easy choice to determine which one fits for optimal use for this bid. You can use it to differentiate direct 3 by opener with 2 NT followed by 3, you can differentiate direct 3 bid with the ones that starts 2 NT first, you can differentiate raises etc etc...this debate can go forever.

For the sake of simplicity, and also efficiency (due to grabbing the NT) I suggest it to be played any hand with stoppers and (14) 15+ hcp. I do not like having to jump to 3 NT just to show I am 18-19 when our side has so much strength, they interfered and seeking which game to play is in our best interest, or search for slam.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-May-31, 16:44

IMO, the way to consider this with a partner with whom I am unfamiliar is that the 2S bid freed partner to pass with minimums, therefore this free bid is simply more than a minimum, I would say a good 13-14, just under a 1NT opening, with spades stopped.

However, with an established partnership, this sequence could probably be assigned a use that is much better than simply an old style free bid usage.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-31, 21:54

It certainly shows at least one stopper. Preferably two. KJx will do in this position.

Without the intervention, SAYC specifies that it is forcing for (at least?) one round but doesn't say explicitly whether it shows or denies extra values. This is a well known problem with interpretation of the SAYC document. You need to discuss this with partner.

To keep it simple, just discuss what it would show without intervention, and assume this also applies here (except that it now promises stoppers in spades).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-June-01, 16:36

View Postjenten, on 2018-May-31, 15:39, said:

N. 1H
E. Pass
S. 2D
W. 2S

Jenten

Answer:18/19 HCP. And balanced and of course a stopper in spadeWith less and three card diamond support the bid would have been Double.If Your 2D bid is GF he can easily pass with less and later bid 2/3 No Trump over your anticipated TOD or other bid.The problem arises only if your RHO raises to 3 Spade.

#7 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-02, 10:06

Assuming that you are not playing with a regular partner (in which case you might have an agreement on this) it makes sense to me to play 2NT as the same as without the overcall, with the proviso that you could pass with a minimum or without a good stop. So, I’d say it would be 13-14.

There may or not be good arguments in favour of a different range, 18-19 say, but I think it very unlikely that a partner will assume you are in that range, unless previously discussed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users