• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any place to run?

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-27, 22:25

For those who are debating over the chosen action (2) of North player....

https://bridgewinner...=658287#c658287
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-27, 23:30

View PostMrAce, on 2018-May-27, 22:25, said:

thanks Timo, interesting.

View Postsfi, on 2018-May-27, 19:09, said:

(Presuming you mean 2H rather than 2S ...)

Yes … Oops

I can see arguments in favour of double or 2, but pass seems way too conservative. It may seem risky to bid 2 on this five-card suit, but risks work both ways and passing seems like a far greater risk to me. The question is how best to act. Yes, I would also like to have a six-card suit for a two-over-one overcall but I'm not always dealt one and it will be very difficult finding game in hearts on a 5-3 fit if we don't bid it now.

#23 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2018-May-27, 23:56

View PostTramticket, on 2018-May-27, 23:30, said:

thanks Timo, interesting.

Yes … Oops

I can see arguments in favour of double or 2, but pass seems way too conservative. It may seem risky to bid 2 on this five-card suit, but risks work both ways and passing seems like a far greater risk to me. The question is how best to act. Yes, I would also like to have a six-card suit for a two-over-one overcall but I'm not always dealt one and it will be very difficult finding game in hearts on a 5-3 fit if we don't bid it now.

The North hand was revealed later.My argument about what North should /could have bid arises now.A simple overcall suggests a limited hand and a single suiter,usually 6 carded semi strong suit and at the two level a 7 loser hand.A 2H bid serves the purpose of semi preempt as also a clue for any sacrifice if necessary later.It also makes clear to partner that he should not expect a support in his suit.The North hand does not fall in this category.There is quite good support for diamonds and not a bad support for clubs .There is nothing to be very proud of the heart suit.A last intention of a simple overcall is lead direction.Here North can withstand any lead of interest which S may make.All these and the possession of 16 HCP and only 6 losers makes this hand a clear cut bid of Double and not 2H .Of course this is strictly my personal opinion .I think a double of a major suit bid as a TOD also promises an honour to four in the other major OR a single suiter strong hand.This hand has at least one of the qualifications if not more for a TOD.

#24 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-28, 06:28

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-27, 18:46, said:

Your partner has a takeout double, not an overcall.

I agree with this. With (relative) shortness in spades, support for all other suits, and at least an opening bid, this is a good takeout double.
There are times when an overcall would be better, but not this time.

#25 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-29, 01:23

View PostMrAce, on 2018-May-27, 22:25, said:

Currently 29 votes for 2 and 23 votes for double - but some big names have voted for double.

Interesting poll and thought provoking.

#26 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-29, 03:29

View PostTramticket, on 2018-May-29, 01:23, said:

Currently 29 votes for 2 and 23 votes for double - but some big names have voted for double.

Interesting poll and thought provoking.

I did not write anything here about it because i made 2 or 3 posts in BBF in the past about my opinion of 5332 shape 2/1 overcalls. It's a no no for me, but what do i know? :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#27 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-29, 04:12

View PostMrAce, on 2018-May-29, 03:29, said:

I did not write anything here about it because i made 2 or 3 posts in BBF in the past about my opinion of 5332 shape 2/1 overcalls. It's a no no for me, but what do i know? :)

A 2/1 overcall with 5332 is not exactly high on my priority list either - I would certainly not consider it with a minor. But I'm not passing and 1NT with JX as a stop is not attractive! Looking at it again, a take-out double does look the least bad option, but it will be hard to find our heart fit if partner has three and that is where we belong.

#28 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-May-29, 16:22

Id overcall 2. Turns out our best spot is playing our LHO's. Who knew!

Playing with myself Im -1100 in 2H. In an alternate universe partner has a spade void and LHO has AJ9xxx along with partner holding a better heart suit.

Which of these is more likely?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users