Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Documentary film A film about Boye and the cheating scandal

#1 User is offline   hointz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-November-07, 15:43

Tommy Gulliksen and I, Trond Hĝines, made a documentary about Boye Brogeland and his work to clean the game of bridge from cheating. It is finally translated to English from Norwegian. The film was broadcasted on Norway's most important commercial broadcaster this April.

Pleasce consider sharing the link and this information on your website and/or anywhere you publish. We want the bridge world to see the film.

The fim is 42 minutes and and is available on Vimeo as a pay per view. Link below:

https://vimeo.com/on...sheriffofbridge

Info:

What is the price to pay for being a whistleblower in the world of sports? This documentary follows the professional bridge player Boye Brogeland. He got his life turned upside down after speaking up about a possible scandal that would shake the bridge community.

Boye Brogeland’s boyhood dream came true when making it as a professional bridge player. He has traveled the world earning millions. During a big tournament in Chicago, Boye started suspecting that top-ranked players were cheating. He had no proof, but knew something was wrong.

The bridge unions would not take the matter further, and the family father risked his own career and finances by going public with the allegations. A month before the World Cup, Boye named four of the world's best bride partners as cheaters. Suddenly bridge was making news headlines worldwide with Boye Brogeland in the eye of the storm.

We follow Boye from the time before the fateful event in Chicago until the cheating cases were settled in 2016.

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-07, 17:13

I really need to watch my pennies at the moment, but looking at the trailer, why do all the hands on the graphics display have too many cards (16,17,18 respectively)?
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 00:04

Tried to pay my £4.89 but the page freezes with a wavy 3-dot line. Tried with both IE11 and Chrome - same.When people are willing to pay and all you get is obstacles, it is not surprising there is so much piracy.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2016-November-08, 00:56

I rented it and thought it was very good.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 04:32

While I have no issue with the context here, I worry a little about the precedent of allowing links to PPV videos on BBF. Is this really something we want to encourage? I am not sure whether to report this one or not but I do think it might not be a bad idea for the mods to get together and come back with a management line on this sort of post, either removing the thread or telling us why it is ok and what would not be acceptable.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 04:34

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-November-07, 17:13, said:

why do all the hands on the graphics display have too many cards (16,17,18 respectively)?

No wonder Boye got suspicious.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-08, 10:28

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-November-08, 04:32, said:

While I have no issue with the context here, I worry a little about the precedent of allowing links to PPV videos on BBF. Is this really something we want to encourage?

I've asked Uday and Rain to comment.

FYI, we don't have anything in our TOS specifically against it, and we've allowed other postings related to commercial products, so long as they are bridge-related and not competing with BBO. We just try to keep it to a minimum, i.e. no spamming to multiple forums (which is why we deleted the repetitive Force Point System posts).

#8 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-08, 13:19

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-November-08, 04:32, said:

While I have no issue with the context here, I worry a little about the precedent of allowing links to PPV videos on BBF. Is this really something we want to encourage? I am not sure whether to report this one or not but I do think it might not be a bad idea for the mods to get together and come back with a management line on this sort of post, either removing the thread or telling us why it is ok and what would not be acceptable.

Imo it is absolutely not an issue. Why is it any different to someone promoting a bridge book for example?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#9 User is offline   uday 

Posted 2016-November-08, 13:31

nothing to worry about ; it isn't spam and it remains within acceptable (to us) boundaries of frequency and content :)

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-November-08, 16:52

Got there eventually, via VPN. Was good viewing. Not all that informative for anyone who had been following events at the time (only to be expected), but nevertheless 45 mins well spent.

And as a forum user may I add my endorsement that this is relevant and valuable content.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users