BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#1001 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-03, 09:52

cherdano, on 2016-March-03, 09:39, said:

I would ask Romney a different question. "If you were the nominee, would you be soliciting and touting Trump's endorsement?" Oh wait! http://www.washingto...584808?src=ilaw

You can't possibly be suggesting that politicians are hypocrites and opportunists, who change allegiances whenever it's politically advantageous.

The best recent sound bite was over the weekend when Trump was being grilled about David Duke's endorsement of him, and he tried to feign ignorance of Duke. Yet Trump is on record denouncing him numerous times over the past few decades.

http://www.politifac...-about-former-/

#1002 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-03, 10:03

I actually think this is really nothing in the grander scheme of all things Trump. In all of the cases where he "disavowed" or "repudiated" Duke it was in connection with his being KKK or a white supremecist. I see no contradiction in his doing that on that basis without noting the name - it is pretty much unimportant who holds the post, no? There are so many genuinely distasteful things to pick out, this one just seems like small potatoes.
(-: Zel :-)

#1003 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-03, 10:56

Zelandakh, on 2016-March-03, 10:03, said:

I actually think this is really nothing in the grander scheme of all things Trump. In all of the cases where he "disavowed" or "repudiated" Duke it was in connection with his being KKK or a white supremecist. I see no contradiction in his doing that on that basis without noting the name - it is pretty much unimportant who holds the post, no? There are so many genuinely distasteful things to pick out, this one just seems like small potatoes.

Come on. David Duke is an extremely well known public figure. It's inconceivable to me that someone with the intelligence and experience of Trump could not know who he is (and would you really want someone so ignorant as POTUS?). Trump also claims to have "the world's greatest memory" (obviously hyperbole, since I've never heard any claim that he has Superior Autobiagraphical Memory, the rare condition where someone literally remembers everything they've experienced). And if you read the Politifact article, they have a number of quotes where he referred to Duke by name, not merely by reference to his position in the KKK.

I'm not even sure why he was so waffly when asked about Duke's endorsement, why not just reject it? Is he worried about losing the racist redneck vote?

#1004 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-March-03, 11:03

I know this is not exactly related to this thread, but did you know Donald Rumsfeld refused to confirm or deny that he's a lizard?

https://www.youtube....h?v=dK8Y2nO_8TM
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#1005 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-03, 13:33

Zelandakh, on 2016-March-03, 09:48, said:

Have you tried ringing the freephone number yet?

With what goal in mind? If I tell them not to come back, I would still need to confirm my address to them, which obv I'm not going to do.

(sorry for this derail)
OK
bed

#1006 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-March-03, 15:22

gwnn, on 2016-March-03, 11:03, said:

I know this is not exactly related to this thread, but did you know Donald Rumsfeld refused to confirm or deny that he's a lizard?

Probably a known unknown - or is that unknown gnome?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#1007 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-March-03, 15:22

barmar, on 2016-March-03, 10:56, said:

Come on. David Duke is an extremely well known public figure.

Maybe...but I had never heard of him before this thread. :unsure: On the other hand, if you asked me to say something about the Grand Dragon of the KKK, I could probably manage that without having a name, or quoting a name given to me at the same time and promptly forgetting it again 5 minutes later.

jjbrr, on 2016-March-03, 13:33, said:

With what goal in mind?

To find out if it is an official visit or a scam.
(-: Zel :-)

#1008 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-March-03, 15:52

gwnn, on 2016-March-03, 11:03, said:

Is Donald Rumsfeld a lizard? Later in the interview Rumsfeld is asked if he would trade France for Texas and Arkansas. The context is such that, I think, the question really was whether he would trade the security of France for the security of Texas and Arkansas, and maybe I have the states wrong, but you get the idea. Rumsfeld "ducked" that question also.

Of course Rumsfeld was on the show to promote his then new book, and the interviewers were trying to be funny or clever or something. A massive failure on everyone's part as near as I could tell.
Ken

#1009 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-March-03, 16:09

I scanned, and heard excerpts from, the Romney speech and I heard some of Trump's response.
Trump won.
Most unfortunate.
Ken

#1010 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-03, 20:50

Mitt Romney Aims at Donald Trump, Hits G.O.P.

At one point, Mr. Romney said: “Mr. Trump is directing our anger for less than noble purposes. He creates scapegoats of Muslims and Mexican immigrants” — with absolutely no sense of self-awareness. Mr. Romney himself played to the worst kind of xenophobia when he proposed getting rid of 11 million undocumented immigrants by forcing them to “self-deport.” He also listed Mr. Trump’s offenses — “the bullying, the greed, the showing off, the misogyny, the absurd third-grade theatrics.” Did Mr. Romney have any sense of irony when he said those words? For far too long, they could have been used to describe many in his party: legislators, congressional leadership, its policy makers.

It is an excellent thing that the Republican leaders have noticed the problem they’ve fostered, now embodied in the Trump candidacy. But until they see the need to alter the views and policies they have promoted for years, removing Mr. Trump will not end the party’s crisis.

Who said this: "Of all of the casualties of the internet, I miss irony the most"?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#1011 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-04, 09:05

Zelandakh, on 2016-March-03, 15:22, said:

Maybe...but I had never heard of him before this thread. :unsure:

Well, you're not an American, his name probably doesn't come up as much over there.

#1012 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-March-04, 11:34

To be fair this Duke guy has been out of the news for many many years...I think he was Grand Wizard, what 10 or 20 or 30 years ago?

In any event I see OJ Simpson is back on all the cable news today, everything else including the GOP race is kicked off for OJ. :)

#1013 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-04, 15:12

mike777, on 2016-March-04, 11:34, said:

To be fair this Duke guy has been out of the news for many many years...I think he was Grand Wizard, what 10 or 20 or 30 years ago?

True, but Trump says he has the best memory in the world, so that shouldn't be a problem for him. I don't have that great a memory for people and events, yet I knew he he was, and I don't aspire to the highest office in the land.

Actually, he left the Klan in 1980, and formed a new white supremacist organization, the NAAWP. After that he was pretty active in politics, including campaigns in the presidential primaries in 1988 and 1992, and the Tea Party urged him to run again in 2012. He was in the media in the 2000's. It seems like it's only been the last 5-10 years that he's been out of the public eye.

In any event I see OJ Simpson is back on all the cable news today, everything else including the GOP race is kicked off for OJ. :)

If it were a few weeks ago I'd suspect it was a publicity stunt for the TV miniseries about the OJ trial.

#1014 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-March-04, 18:48

I did watch some excerpts from last night's debate.

Cruz is going after Trump, Trump is interrupting, Cruz is saying "Take a breath Donald, take a breath, breath Donald, breath... "
The moderator: "When you guys are done with the yoga, I have a serious question to ask."

I may not have all of the words exactly right but that was the sense of it.

I have never tried LSD. Is this what it is like?
Ken

#1015 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-March-05, 00:08

Friend of mine commented today that he thinks Sanders would turn out to be another Jimmy Carter. :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#1016 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-March-05, 07:11

blackshoe, on 2016-March-05, 00:08, said:

Friend of mine commented today that he thinks Sanders would turn out to be another Jimmy Carter. :blink:

He would convert to Christianity?
Ken

#1017 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2016-March-05, 07:12

kenberg, on 2016-March-04, 18:48, said:

I did watch some excerpts from last night's debate.

Cruz is going after Trump, Trump is interrupting, Cruz is saying "Take a breath Donald, take a breath, breath Donald, breath... "
The moderator: "When you guys are done with the yoga, I have a serious question to ask."

I may not have all of the words exactly right but that was the sense of it.

I have never tried LSD. Is this what it is like?

No, this is more like methamphetamine.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#1018 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-05, 16:26

From Will Rogers: I'm not a member of an organized political party, I'm a Republican.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#1019 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-08, 12:37

Guest post from Christopher Buckley via The Spectator

The Trump (and Cruz) ascendency has at least provoked self-soul-searching among the influence apparatchiks of the Party of Lincoln. Now they are admitting: we did this to ourselves. We created this Frankenstein. For years we told our people that we were going to reduce government. We didn’t. For years we told them we would do something about immigration. We didn’t. We told them we’d reduce the deficit. We didn’t. We told them we’d cut spending. We didn’t. We told them we’d fix Iraq and we created Isis.

What else did we promise? Oh yes, reasonable medical insurance. Punted on that, too. Meanwhile, every day out in what we call ‘the real America’, real Americans are reading about the latest Scrooge hedge fund manager who’s made $100 million betting against the American economy, while their wages have remained stagnant since the 1970s. We failed them at another level, too: we bored them to death with unoriginal, platitudinous and feckless pols. And look what’s happened — now the ‘real Americans’ (that is, the proles) are enchanted by this candy floss-haired ranting populist who’s tapped into the deepest recesses of their frustration.

Is it too late to say to them: People! Please listen! We, your leaders have screwed up. But you do not want to hand this guy the keys to the White House. And heck — he’s renovating the Old Post Office Building, just down the street. If he really wants to live on Pennsylvania Avenue, let him stay there!

One can deplore Trump for his vulgarity, incoherence and demagoguery. But one mustn’t deplore the people he has enthralled. They may not have degrees, most of them, and they may be a bit susceptible to a voice that inflames their darker passions. But they have been disappointed and deceived, and their anger is real.

A similar argument, mutatis mutandis, can be made by the hard left on behalf of the Vladimir Ilyich of Vermont. His followers feel cheated — insulted — when they read of Mrs Clinton’s Wall Street consiglieres and capos who lavish her with six-digit speaking fees for lunch and dinner-time bromides. If all this depresses you, all I can say is: me too.

Dudus loquitur veritatem
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#1020 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2016-March-08, 20:42

Michigan and Mississippi, too? This is feeling too much like neo-fascism 1930s style.

• 1078 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

79 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 78 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. jandrew