BBO Discussion Forums: Re-Opening - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Re-Opening Not sure if WTP

Poll: Re-Opening (50 member(s) have cast votes)

How To Re-Open

1. Double (10 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. 2H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 2S (32 votes [64.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.00%

4. some other number of hearts (3 votes [6.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

5. some other number of spades (1 votes [2.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

6. some kind of cue-bid (4 votes [8.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

7. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-June-23, 04:19

Scoring MP

P is a bbo pickup self rated expert think sayc but might have been 2/1

what do people do here

Thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 05:16

Hi,

3S.

I do think, that 2S is NF, hence 2S is out for me.
If 2S is forcing, than ok, 2S is a lot better, but
I dont think so, it is certainly encouraging.

Playing with an unknown, I am not going to
risk 2S.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-June-23, 05:18

2S. I am not doubling with a void.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 05:23

I can see a case for 2 being nonforcing - with a 4414 9-count it would be nice to have a nonforcing 2 available, which would mean that a dbl would become somewhat penalty-oriented, allowing opener sometimes to pass with only three diamonds. A GF hand with four spades can usually do something else.

But I am pretty sure that 2 forcing is standard.

Double is out - if partner passes it is likely to be bad.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 06:05

Aha, here is a thread I can learn from.

Why would it be so bad if partner passed a reopening double?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-23, 06:23

There is actually a case for NF 2, but I think losing the mnemonic "reverse by responder is GF" is a bad idea in general. And besides, most of the people will take 2 as forcing.

So I bid that.

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-June-23, 08:09

With one partner I don't play support doubles here rather x shows 4 of the other major.

I can't believe 2s is NF but I might come around to the idea. I would hate to have to x on this shape since I want partner passing with HHxx.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-June-23, 08:20

View Postbillw55, on 2014-June-23, 06:05, said:

Good point. My gut reaction was "if partner has four diamonds he has 5+ clubs so we have at least an 8-card fit against their 9-card fit, so we need to bid at least 3 according to the LOTT".

But ok, hour hand is not that bad for defense and the vulnerability if favorable. I dunno. Give partner Axx-x-QTxx-AQxxx defending 2X looks very good. Maybe double is the right call after all?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-June-23, 08:22

Good point. My gut reaction was "if partner has four diamonds he has 5+ clubs so we have at least an 8-card fit against their 9-card fit, so we need to bid at least 3 according to the LOTT".

But ok, our hand is not that bad for defense and the vulnerability if favorable. I dunno. Give partner Axx-x-QTxx-AQxxx defending 2X looks very good. Maybe double is the right call after all? Hopefully partner won't pass with xxx-Qx-ATx-KQJxx.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 09:10

Well i think those who says double will be so bad can explain you. I voted 2 but at these colors it is very close imo. I would not mind double as much as they do.

As Helene says the number of trumps + purity + void vs vulnerability.

I just made up this hand. You can make 4 (probably +1 ) and the fate of 2 doubled depends on very good defense. If you are that good in defense you can set them i guess. Otoh change some spot cards then double may be the winner, The reason for people bidding here instead of double is probably to avoid a random result. At least that was my intention when I voted for 2
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-June-23, 09:51

Not sure I would pass the dbl with East's hand, but it sure is tempting...

#12 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-June-23, 09:52

Doubling with a void can be dangerous because playing a trump through declarer is often crucial to the defence. Usually doubler has more points than his p so he will likely get in first and he can't play a trump if all he has is a void. Partner can also convert with more confidence with an unsuitable hand for other action if he knows we're not usually void in trumps.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#13 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 09:58

I have a fairly large file consisting of hands where the final contract was two something doubled. When that resulted in disaster without anyone doing anything particularly ridiculous, two general themes dominated:

1. We had not explored our full offensive potential.

2. One player had a void.

Both of those considerations are present here. Against 2m, partner should be able to pass my double fairly speculatively, since the cost of being wrong is low. Yes, double could be right, but I think such double are a massive long-term loser.

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-June-23, 09:59

Well, note also that opps are bound to have 9+ cards in diamonds (unless pard has 6C-5D, a very rare bird). A passed out dbl is not going to yield a good result.

#15 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 10:01

I would always be willing to invest one level to make sure we got the strain right
when we are competitive so a 2s bid would have to be at least a 1 round force. To
consider a 2s bid as completely non forcing we might have to be willing to accept
responder bidding 2s with Kxxx xxxx xx Kxx and that seems hopeless even if it might
win some MP on occasion by going down less than the opps making in diamonds (assuming
no x that is).

This means a 2s bid should probably be at worst the old two quick tricks or greater
than 8 idea which p can raise to 3 level with a min or try game with near max. Sure we
get in trouble sometimes but this route has to be a whole ton safer than using x for
any hand remotely close to this one. It would also be a shame to not be able to show 55
56 hands (which is what we have 3s for) and game forcing (surely we would not want to x
with such a hand).

Even at favorable it has to seem wrong to x with this type of hand when we have game
opposite almost any minimum imaginable and even slam opposite a pretty large number of
minimums. It is not a failing of imagination that p might have a hand where playing 2d
x might net us a big score it is primarily a fact of % that doubling the opps in 2d here
rates to be a poor action and that is the main idea against x. We see p with the off the
wall chance of having QJxx and become blinded to Kxx Axx and a whole host of other hands
where playing 2dx might be horrible yet might easily become partners choice if we offer
it up with x.

#16 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-23, 12:18

I'm glad PhilKing's database matches my intuition. I feel like I've gotten tons of bad results doubling on hands like these at the 2 level.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#17 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 13:55

thanks all, interesting stuff. As predicted i did double and did end up with a terrible result... why P passed with like 4 good spades and 3 diamonds i will never know lol but i can see that he would have a had a legit hand to pass with and it still would have been bad.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#18 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 13:55

thanks all, interesting stuff. As predicted i did double and did end up with a terrible result... why P passed with like 4 good spades and 3 diamonds i will never know lol but i can see that he could have a had a legit hand to pass with and it still would have been bad.

#19 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 17:28

2 was my first reaction because I too hate doubling with voids. But I also know how people stretch to get in to the bidding at the 2 level especially in the sandwich position. And favorable and MP are the ideal for the double to pay off, if we don't have game (or can't find the right one) we only need down 1, and if we do have game we only need down 2. Partner has opening strength, is behind the 2-level overcall, and the partner of the 2-level overcall didn't raise to the three level. I fully expect that this could be a bottom if we double and partner leaves it in, but I think it will be a top more often when left in.

#20 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-June-24, 00:52

View Posteagles123, on 2014-June-23, 13:55, said:

thanks all, interesting stuff. As predicted i did double and did end up with a terrible result... why P passed with like 4 good spades and 3 diamonds i will never know lol but i can see that he could have a had a legit hand to pass with and it still would have been bad.

One prime reason why doubling with a void is poor, is that you don't have a trump to lead at any time. This may well mean that declarer will be able to make some of his small trumps by ruffing and escape with a small penalty. I make it a rule pretty much never to double with a void. This is one of the things you learn with experience, (or judging by some of the replies here, perhaps not.)
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users