• You cannot reply to this topic

3N: Right Bidding, Wrong Result? missed 4S and 3n failed

#21 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-12, 09:12

View Postvodkagirl, on 2014-March-11, 19:47, said:

If partner had bid 3 instead of 2N then what would I have done without a fifth ? Simple pass and play at the 3 level? gamble on 3N? what?

Since partner could bid 2, 3 would be a special bid. He would have a strong hand so you certainly have game. You would know he had at most one heart. This means that if you don't have a heart stopper, you probably have slam in a minor suit. Without five spades you would be 4333 or 4324 or 4234 so you would know in which suit you have the fit. Just bid 4 or 4, accordingly. Or 5 or 5 if your hand is not suitable for slam.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   WBreedyk 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-12, 15:24

Poor bidding judgement by N, pure and simple. After the 2 heart bid, N has plenty of time,- he should show the spade support by bidding 2 spades. Now S will realize N's shortness in hearts (given the bids in clubs and diamonds), and bid 4 spades. Bidding should be viewed as a collaborative effort,- clearly N failed to realize this when he bid 2NT (looks like he wanted to be declarer).

#23 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-13, 03:03

Actually, North can come to the right conclusion without even knowing the rules for answers to FSF:
- if you have 4-4 in the majors you would have responded 1, not 1
- if you have 5-4 in the majors the heart stopper is irrelevant, you have a spade fit
- if you have three or less hearts with a stopper and only four spades you would probably have bid no-trumps yourself, not used FSF
- if you have three or less hearts without a stopper 3NT is unlikely to be right. 4 in a 4-3 fit is probably a better contract.

So no matter what you have, 2NT can almost work never better than 2.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#24 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-13, 08:22

I might be too conservative, but I would pass the opening if I held North's hand. Assuming East passed, South would open 1 Spade, and I'd leap to 4 Spades.

Having said that, IMO, North's third bid is completely wrong. Once the GF is established with the 4th suit, North should have taken the opportunity to show delayed light support for the Spades. And on to game you go.

North's passing of the completely legitimate Spades bid in a game force and bidding NT with a singleton shows a lack of bidding knowledge.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users